Pac-12 Sucks So Bad

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1thndqzn said:
The SEC is down a little bit this year as Auburn, normally at least a seven win team, has completely fallen apart. Chizik will be gone(thank god) at the end of the year I hope. Arkansas, thanks to Petrino being, well Petrino and then the idiotic decision to make John L Smith as the interim, has led a very talented team to struggle early on.

Truth.

As an Auburn alum, I was never excited about Chizik, and it's become crystal clear that the '10 national championship had far more to do with Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, Gus Malzahn, and an experienced and dominant O-line than it did with Chizik.

And the thing is that Auburn hasn't had bad recruiting classes. They've been solid. The player development hasn't been acceptable at all. This season is completely on the coaches, and the sooner it's over, the better. They can oust the AD while they're at it, too.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Vol,

I traveled to Atlanta last weekend to visit son at GaTech. (Full disclosure - have 1 son graduated A&M and another son still there).

Quite a few Aggies traveling on the way there. On Sunday at Atlanta airport, lots of smiling Aggies and a lot of frowns from Auburn fans.

Auburn will be back.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1cj1fos5 said:
Vol,

I traveled to Atlanta last weekend to visit son at GaTech. (Full disclosure - have 1 son graduated A&M and another son still there).

Quite a few Aggies traveling on the way there. On Sunday at Atlanta airport, lots of smiling Aggies and a lot of frowns from Auburn fans.

Auburn will be back.

I'm sure Auburn will right the ship, and frankly, there's no way going 3-9 (and 0-8 in conference) will result in anything less than the firing of the HC - and that's what I expect as the best case scenario.

So yeah, I imagine there will be much needed change. The question is how long until the new AD and coaches get things going. It's hard to be essentially rebuilding while the bastards across the state are stringing together NCs.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't think it is going to take Auburn that long to get back to where they should be, 8-10 wins a year, once every four years a real threat to the national title. The issue isn't talent, it is, like you said, player development and coaching. They get the right guy in there and they are a bowl team next year.

kearly

Reaction score
People always say the Pac-12 sucks when they are in conference, which makes no sense to me. Shouldn't it say more about a conference if the top teams are losing to conference rivals?

The Pac-10 was a good conference, but the additions of Colorado and Utah have really watered it down. Still, it's an above average conference that is usually one of the two or three best conferences every year in number of top 25 teams. When USC was dominating under Carroll, everyone said that they had it easy, but they were wrong. It's just as wrong today with Oregon.

That said, Oregon honestly hasn't played anybody special yet, but that is about to change.

Fun fact: Oregon's defense ranks #2 nationally behind Alabama in Football outsiders advanced metrics*. Granted, they haven't played a tough schedule, but they made Matt Scott look human and shut out Arizona who otherwise averages almost 40 a game. That is a seriously nasty defense, coupled with an elite offense. I haven't watched K-state, but I have a hard time believing they have a better combination of offense and defense. Chip Kelly might be the smartest coach in the college ranks.

*UW is 20th nationally. Haha Nick Holt.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":3jr5zrb5 said:
People always say the Pac-12 sucks when they are in conference, which makes no sense to me. Shouldn't it say more about a conference if the top teams are losing to conference rivals?

The Pac-10 was a good conference, but the additions of Colorado and Utah have really watered it down. Still, it's an above average conference that is usually one of the two or three best conferences every year in number of top 25 teams. When USC was dominating under Carroll, everyone said that they had it easy, but they were wrong. It's just as wrong today with Oregon.

That said, Oregon honestly hasn't played anybody special yet, but that is about to change.

Fun fact: Oregon's defense ranks #2 nationally behind Alabama in Football outsiders advanced metrics*. Granted, they haven't played a tough schedule, but they made Matt Scott look human and shut out Arizona who otherwise averages almost 40 a game. That is a seriously nasty defense, coupled with an elite offense. I haven't watched K-state, but I have a hard time believing they have a better combination of offense and defense. Chip Kelly might be the smartest coach in the college ranks.

*UW is 20th nationally. Haha Nick Holt.

Good stuff. Also dont forget I dont think the starting defense has played in the 4th quarter all year and there have been 4 or 5 games where they were out at halftime. So in reality the numbers and stats should be even better.

I read one stat where if you just counted drives (both offensively and defensively) in the time that Mariota is still on the field, and then extrapolated that into a full 60 minute game the Ducks average score would be 69-9.

Personally, i'm starting to think we can beat Alabama. I wouldnt have thought that at the start of the year. Of course we have to get past USC first.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wenhawk":hfcu76gd said:
Another thing that blows my mind why does nobody mention how many home games the SEC powers have. Bama, LSU, and Florida only have 4 away games all season. Oregon, USC, Ore St, UCLA all have 5 away games and Stanford has 6. How about the SEC grows a pair and sends Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina to Oregon or USC for a game and see how they do.

Why don't they? Because top SEC teams have nothing to gain from going to Autzen or the LA Coliseum, if they win their conference they're all but assured in the BCS Title Game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Last year, the SEC put 42 guys into the NFL via the draft. The PAC 12? 28.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3c8s4dcw said:

Oh yeah? Well, the SEC guys are probably ugly because they're from the deep south unlike us beautiful west coasters.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3jxhkpam said:
Scottemojo":3jxhkpam said:

Oh yeah? Well, the SEC guys are probably ugly because they're from the deep south unlike us beautiful west coasters.

Well no wonder Pac 12 isn't as good. Football is an ugly game when played correctly.