Obomanu Out for the season - Kearse promoted

HawkWow

Reaction score
Someone should tweat Obo the fact the Hawks have waited years for him to get better. If he wants to bitch, he should bitch at past coaches for not telling him he was a CB.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2d6nbg4i said:
I am with Greg on this one, special teams play is one of those things where tackles don't mean much. I have seen Obo force the punt/kick returner to react too many times to think he won't be missed on special teams.

With Harvin returning kicks, Obo might be missed rather severely. It is not a small thing at all. Especially since Robinson, also a special teamer, might be missing as well.

Lane looked pretty good last week.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HawkWow":34mfegdy said:
Someone should tweat Obo the fact the Hawks have waited years for him to get better. If he wants to bitch, he should bitch at past coaches for not telling him he was a CB.

Not like we were expecting Larry Fitz when we drafted him in the 7th round. He's already outperformed expectations by not being cut.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3l9jimr0 said:
HawkWow":3l9jimr0 said:

Not like we were expecting Larry Fitz when we drafted him in the 7th round. He's already outperformed expectations by not being cut.

That pretty much sums up the situation, don't it? This is a guy that is likely sweating bullets every time it's tme to get down to 53...but he has the audacity to publicly suggest the Hawks quit on him? WTF? Gimme' a break, Obo. Good luck in Canada.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Goodness -- lots of negative vibes towards Obo. The dude gave everything he had to give, and is pissed he can't keep playing. Who can blame him? He's supposed to be happy he's done for the year?

Show the guy some respect.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, how anyone can find fault in Obo is beyond me. He's what NFL #5's are about; solid on special teams, provide average WR ability, and not make you sign TO if injuries hit.

I never got freaked out when/if Obo was put into duty or pushed into starting. When the ball was thrown his way, he caught it. Yeah, he fell down immediately after the catch, but he caught it. The definition of servicable.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
pehawk":1bwr5hqz said:
Yeah, how anyone can find fault in Obo is beyond me. He's what NFL #5's are about; solid on special teams, provide average WR ability, and not make you sign TO if injuries hit.

I never got freaked out when/if Obo was put into duty or pushed into starting. When the ball was thrown his way, he caught it. Yeah, he fell down immediately after the catch, but he caught it. The definition of servicable.

The only time he didn't catch the ball well was the game at Arizona. Even with that though, he was open quite a lot. He could've had the game winner too, because T-Jack threw it to him on 3rd down in overtime, and he was in field goal range and he dropped it......

pehawk

Reaction score
He had some good games in 2010. New Orleans sticks out.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3spllid4 said:
Goodness -- lots of negative vibes towards Obo. The dude gave everything he had to give, and is pissed he can't keep playing. Who can blame him? He's supposed to be happy he's done for the year?

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. And shines a giant spotlight on the type of fans that don't exactly understand the finer nuances of the game. "Score TD's or get the hell out!"

Obomanu has been a great role player for this team over the years. If you don't understand that, it says more about you than anything.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
How dare Ben gets disappointed that he can't go out and earn his money on the field. HOW DARE HE????

Come on guys. He is a competitor. What would you have said if he said, "pheewwwww, glad that season is over and now I get to sit home and get paid!"

He can't win with many of you. He's been one of our most solid all around players for several years. I think he deserves some respect and understanding for being frustrated that he can't be out there playing hard for OUR team. That's what he loves. I bet as a competitor it felt like a big fat kick in the junk to be told, "sorry, we're going with somebody else." If he isn't mad then I don't want him on my team. I love Obo's attitude and he's been a darn good player for what he was predicted to do by the "draft experts". He has stuck on a team for years and been one of our most important players on special teams and as a wide receiver always being there to pick up where somebody else left off when they were hurt. Now he's hurt and the team just basically shuts him down and calls it a year. That'd frustrate the heck out of me if I were Ben.

ivotuk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ds1fv6b7 said:
Jville":ds1fv6b7 said:
If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

Teamates blocking for each other is a key theme. It's why Deon Butler is no longer with us and why even the golden child is so closely supervised this year.

This year, reliable blocking is mandatory. It is no longer an option.

If you want a blocking WR then Lavasier Tuinei is your man. Blocking is more important then catching and scoring TD's for Oregon wide receivers.

If that's the case then activate him immediately! One of the main reasons we lost in Detroit is that their receivers can block (it's my opinion they were taught by Burleson) and ours either can't or won't. If you re watch that game you will see that a lot of the first downs they got were due to excellent blocking. Especially the one that got them off the goal line. But then again, there should have been 2 DBs there to cover those guys and not just Sherman.

Our guys on the other hand (Achootate!) couldn't hold a block for half a second.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned Shipley...

Bengals.com Bio

"Shipley was slated for 2011 as offense’s primary slot receiver, but suffered season-ending knee injury in Game 2, Sept. 18 at Denver" ...

"his rookie season in 2010, when he recorded 52 catches, 600 receiving yards and three TDs ... Led AFC rookies in ’10 in receiving yards and tied for AFC rookie lead in receptions."

Then was with the Bucs...

"Jordan Shipley's muffed punt return against the Dallas Cowboys has cost him. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced on Tuesday that they have waived Shipley"

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/sp...dan-shipley-sign-roscoe-parrish#ixzz2AxD5Palb

I would love to have him here because he is a great possession receiver and imho, would be way better than Kearse or Martin, especially in the long run. His knee is probably fine and iirc he didn't have too many drops.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Found some interesting pre and post draft info on Kearse:

The Good:

"03/08/2012 - Washington Pro Day: Kearse enjoyed a strong workout, as well, clocking in much faster today (4.44) than he did at the Combine (4.58) and catching every pass that I saw touch his hands. He and Locker didn't connect on a couple of deeper throws, including on a post-corner in which NFL personnel were overhead chiding Kearse for not getting his head around quickly enough to locate the ball. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com "

Release: Has the straight-line speed to challenge cornerbacks deep so is often met with zone or man-off looks

The Bad:

Hands: Flashes the ability to be a big-time receiver, but struggles with drops. Can extend and pluck outside of his frame, demonstrating the ability to make the highlight reel reception, but too often attempts to make a move on the defender before adequately securing the football, allowing passes into his chest and others than simply slip through his hands. Even worse, some of his drops came at critical moment"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631987

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
396214_10151081406401722_1484317335_n.jpg

kearse is wearing #11

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I can't be bothered to read through all for pages, but other than the fact that I like Obomanu as a person, I think the impact of this loss will be just about zero. Maybe a little on ST.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":1rpms0wg said:
Hawkstorian":1rpms0wg said:

Pretty pathetic if you ask me. And shines a giant spotlight on the type of fans that don't exactly understand the finer nuances of the game. "Score TD's or get the hell out!"

Obomanu has been a great role player for this team over the years. If you don't understand that, it says more about you than anything.

Precisely. Every NFL team has room for a guy like Obomanu, who contributes in multiple capacities. No, he's never been a breakout star WR, but we didn't draft him to be that kind of player.

Now, all that said, it's not surprising to me that the Hawks decided to IR him and promote Kearse. Obomanu just turned 29, and his time in the league means his minimum salary is pretty significant. The team knows it will have to move on from Obomanu after next season at the latest, and they need to see who can fill his role as a versatile depth WR and key special teams player.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1xcarcds said:

This x infinity

pehawk

Reaction score
Who knows? Maybe Kearse can be the Damon Huard of UDub WR's? A flawed, yet productive collegiate athlete who finally "gets it" in the pros.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkWow":1a7e3q2m said:
hawksfan515":1a7e3q2m said:
HawkWow":1a7e3q2m said:

That pretty much sums up the situation, don't it? This is a guy that is likely sweating bullets every time it's tme to get down to 53...but he has the audacity to publicly suggest the Hawks quit on him? WTF? Gimme' a break, Obo. Good luck in Canada.

Oh brutha! I can't believe what I'm reading here. If letting the fans know that he wanted to gut it out rather than sit in the rehab room is audacious, I don't know what to do other than shake my head. Year after year the hawks have kept this guy for a reason, so he oviously has something to contribute.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
pehawk":38vcxfvk said:
Who knows? Maybe Kearse can be the Damon Huard of UDub WR's? A flawed, yet productive collegiate athlete who finally "gets it" in the pros.

That's how I feel. Kearse obviously has upside beyond what UW fans saw. Otherwise he wouldn't have made an NFL practice squad (which I admit, I was surprised by), stuck this long, and been the team's first choice to fill in for Obo. You hear teammates and coaches talk up his play from practice. And guys like Sidney Rice saying he might have the best hands in the unit. Who knows? Maybe things click for him. I certainly feel it's worth a look. I haven't been impressed by what I've seen from Charly Martin.