whats flynns eventual value?

pinksheets

Reaction score
The talk of a 2nd has no basis in reality unless Wilson gets hurt and Flynn comes in and blows it up in his 2nd NFL offense.

Sure, Peyton took away from his market, but his market was only 2 teams, one of which didn't make a strong offer. He's not suddenly going to become a hot commodity without something changing drastically.

If we got a 3rd it'd be nuts and we'd be extremely lucky, pretty lucky if we got a 4th.

aku

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1yep6vmg said:
Why are we even talking about this?? Can't we for just once have a relatively stable quarterback roster?
His cap hit will jump to $7.25 million next year, for a guy who is sitting on the bench. So no, we probably can't keep him. We don't even have much leverage to renegotiate the contract because if we cut him we'd still have to put something like $4mil in bonuses against the cap.

Best case scenario for us would probably be if we can get him in on some garbage time. If he could step in and show the world that he really does have game, we could maybe unload him for a 3rd plus another low one. Plenty of teams will want QBs, and this draft class still looks weak. But his contract is going to hurt our chances, and at the moment he just doesn't have enough on tape to be worth it. As it stands right now, I'm thinking our best chance might be a 5th with a condition that it could go up to a 3rd or 4th if he starts and is awesome.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
aku":368km8c2 said:
PlinytheCenter":368km8c2 said:
Why are we even talking about this?? Can't we for just once have a relatively stable quarterback roster?
His cap hit will jump to $7.25 million next year, for a guy who is sitting on the bench. So no, we probably can't keep him. We don't even have much leverage to renegotiate the contract because if we cut him we'd still have to put something like $4mil in bonuses against the cap.

Best case scenario for us would probably be if we can get him in on some garbage time. If he could step in and show the world that he really does have game, we could maybe unload him for a 3rd plus another low one. Plenty of teams will want QBs, and this draft class still looks weak. But his contract is going to hurt our chances, and at the moment he just doesn't have enough on tape to be worth it. As it stands right now, I'm thinking our best chance might be a 5th with a condition that it could go up to a 3rd or 4th if he starts and is awesome.

Well, there's that to consider... :34853_doh: It's just a shame we can't be solid at the position for once.

HawkWow

Reaction score
skater18000":1zkq5ht6 said:
I'm think a 2nd and a 5th

To a team like the jets cheifs cowboys eagles jags chargers browns

What's everybody think

I think Pete probably has the occasional cocktail but shys away from the meth. In other words, Flynn likely won't be going anywhere, anytime soon.

themunn

Reaction score
Possible franchise QBs are such a hot commodity though that they get overvalued. People will look at Flynn and say "well he was a 7th round draft pick and was then beaten out by a rookie", but by the end of the year they'll also be saying "that rookie would have beaten out our starter too".

A team like KC, Buffalo, NYJ or possibly Cleveland, and arguably Dallas would take a serious look at Flynn for a 2nd, considering he has a relatively risk-free contract.

I don't think I'd give him up for a 2nd though, as it's all good getting a 2nd for a backup until you need someone to step in and lead the team.

Throwdown

Reaction score
No idea if anyone even wants him, the only two teams that were interested in him have their franchise guys in place now, Miami with Tannehill, and Seattle with Wilson. Also one could argue Seattle didn't even See Flynn as a franchise QB because he had to compete for the starting spot. I think a 5th would be fair, a 4th I'd be friggin thrilled.

Meeker

Reaction score
Conditional late round that can become a 3rd...maybe a 2nd, depending on starts/stats.

Bipolar

Reaction score
stop this nonsense. Flynn is a great backup QB and it makes absolutely no sense to trade him. depth is what wins championships, including at QB.

with the way Russell runs all over the field scrambling for first downs, we are literally one unlucky hit away from starting Flynn.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Probably pretty minimal. If he never plays this year and shows that he is good, I doubt teams will be frothing at the mouth for him. I'd guess 5th tops, and that is probably being too optimistic. I think he's good, but his value lessens when he doesn't go out there and perform

Throwdown

Reaction score
Bipolar":2ol81gfn said:
stop this nonsense. Flynn is a great backup QB and it makes absolutely no sense to trade him. depth is what wins championships, including at QB.

with the way Russell runs all over the field scrambling for first downs, we are literally one unlucky hit away from starting Flynn.

Either way, he makes too much to be a back up. He'll need to be restructured this offseason, if he turns it down, do you honestly think JS & PC will keep him around?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think kearly is the one who brought up the Raiders as the most likely suitor. Maybe a 4th there, if, on the second day of the draft, there's slim pickings for QBs and the Raiders haven't taken 1 of Barkley, G. Smith, or Tyler Wilson.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Bipolar":qtsruipe said:

This is true for any NFL QB. Depth wins championships......true, but that is not true for the QB position. Backup QB's don't win championships...show me how many backup QBs that have come into play and have won Superbowl?

Hawkfeathers

Reaction score
Flynn must be OK with the status quo or his agent would be leaking stuff to the media. His contract might address his future should he not be the starter: trade/buyout/release? Wilson better workout as the starter because I don't think any FA QBs would seriously consider Seattle after pondering the Flynn situation.

Chapow

Reaction score
Bipolar":1gk3ozle said:

I totally agree. Unless It's a 1st round pick (which I think has zero chance of happening) or a really one sided trade in our favor (like what Philly got for Kolb) I'd rather just keep Flynn and have a good back up QB. I know some will bring up Flynns pay/cap hit, but the bigger picture IMO, is how much we are paying for BOTH our starter and back up, which is pretty low compared to the rest of the NFL.

Bipolar":1gk3ozle said:

I don't really feel like Wilson is at any more risk than most of the other QBs out there, maybe I'm delusional, but for some reason I'm not really worried about it. But yeah, every team in the league is one unlucky hit away from starting their back up QB.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":skewgx8t said:
Skater, no team will give up more than a 4th for him. He's proved nothing in a real NFL setting, except that he couldn't beat out a 3rd round 5'10" rookie, when he was all but a lock for the starting job after getting paid in FA. If some team is willing to do something like we did for Whitehurst, then our FO better jump all over it.

Why do people keep saying this?

Yeh he was beat out by a 5'10", 3rd round rookie. Big deal! That rookie is showing everyone why he won the job!

It isn't like Flynn is some scubb. He just didn't beat out a guy who looks to finally be the franchise QB we have been looking for the last upteen years.

Happy

Reaction score
Probably nothing. Maybe a token 6th or 7th rounder at best.

He'll be a 28 year old career backup looking for his third team. He got a nice payday from the Seahawks and he'll be competing for a #2 seat wherever he goes.

Maybe not fair, but in the NFL youth is served. Teams do not pay for potential when it comes to older players.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I dont know how many others cringed when Russell was nearly made into a pretzel sandwich yesterday, I thought he may have to come out, but other than Russells health I was really I was not worried about it, if it was Josh Portis I would have been really concerned.

The Radish

Reaction score
m0ng0":2bad65t5 said:
he has zero value, he is no good, just ask anyone here.

Except for the ones that think he's Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, Johnny U, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Bob Greise, & Vince Lombardi combined.

:roll:

The Radish

Reaction score
But Matt Flynn is a starting caliber QB

I disagree with this statement. And the reason I feel that way is because he hasn't been able to show anyone if he is or not. (except for Pete)

I think even tho he gets good money next year its offset by Wilson's cheap rookie signing contract. Keep him around until its time for Wilson to get good money and then if he isn't capable of being our backup let him go.

By the way, I would suggest to the Seahawks they offer him a new contract after next year. One thing we don't want is a player to be pissed and leave over a lack of respect. While I don't see Wilson being that way like Hutch was I do think Wilson might feel differently if he continues to have success here.

:les:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":fohlzmmv said:

I'm with him. If we can work the money, we gotta. We have been very lucky so far, Wilson is a very mobile guy and takes off. His a great slider, but I don't line the idea of a ruined season if he gets hurt.

Latest posts