Sporting News NFL Player Poll: Rookie QB with Best Future

CANHawk

Reaction score
Rat":2z98x3a7 said:
CANHawk":2z98x3a7 said:
It's pretty hard to get any pub for a rookie QB with the RG/Luck hype machine running at full steam. I for one actually think it's a HUGE blessing. I'm more than happy to have RG do his thing below the radar at this point in time. Not that I think it would necessarily even phase him, but he probably doesn't need over inflated expectations and a microscope following his every move in his rookie year. People will start to notice when the win streaks start and the efficiency rating starts living in the high 90's full time.

Russell Wilson is "below the radar"? Are you serious? He has become very well known outside of Seattle. Between all the offseason gushing from guys like Bill Simmons, his unusual situation (being a starting QB as a rookie third round pick), the attention he gets for being a short QB, the attention brought about from what happened at the end of the Packers game, and the fact that he plays for one of the NFL's most demonstrative coaches, I don't get how anyone can say he's been under the radar, or hasn't generated appropriate publicity.

He has performed very well in spite of all the attention he has received. I think that's one of the more impressive traits he has shown so far.

Oh yeah? Well... Charlie Whitehurst!

But compared to the other two, Elvis coming back to life and throwing for 3,000 yards would be below the radar. That's kinda what I meant.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
glowingeyedseahawk":1xpwa01r said:
peachesenregalia":1xpwa01r said:
Luck almost certainly will at this point. RG3 not so much.

The Colts are not makin' the playoffs this season !!

:192215:

Uh...yea they are. 6-3 in a weak AFC? They are in GREAT shape for a wild card.

There is no shame if RW3 is right behind RG3 and Luck right now. Those guys are playing great. Luck especially. RW3 is improving and will likely be seen as in their class soon .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":3w2c4fjk said:
It's pretty hard to get any pub for a rookie QB with the RG/Luck hype machine running at full steam. I for one actually think it's a HUGE blessing. I'm more than happy to have RG do his thing below the radar at this point in time. Not that I think it would necessarily even phase him, but he probably doesn't need over inflated expectations and a microscope following his every move in his rookie year. People will start to notice when the win streaks start and the efficiency rating starts living in the high 90's full time.
Yep, it's like HYPE!, HYPE!, HYPE! HYPE! MANNING!, MANNING!, MANNING!, ROETHLESBUGGER!, ROETHLESBOOGER!,MANNING!,BRADY!, BRADY!, oh, and by the way, breese.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CANHawk":g1v2dvtl said:

To me the word "hype" says that the player doesn't back up all the press he gets with his play.........ala Tebow. Certainly not the case with either Luck or RG3, and in Luck's case he didn't ask for any of it.

He hasn't done hardly any endorsements, cause he doesn't feel like he deserves it when he hasn't accomplished anything yet.

Fox0r

Reaction score
People are sheep. People can't think for themselves. A lot of guys in the NFL do not like Russell Wilson because he shouldn't be doing what he is doing "in their eyes" and because he's a genuinely nice guy. He's short. A large number of NFL players are megalomaniacs.

So, with that said, how could a 5'11" shrimp ever be dominating these 6'5" Greek gods like he is? How dare him. He's also got flawless character and a good relationship with his wife. How the hell does he resist the temptation to sleep around all of the time and abuste hard drugs? Damn him. He sucks. He's a midget. I'm going to write off everything he's ever done. It was luck that he beat us, anyways. Stupid gnome. I don't want to look in the mirror.

Of course no one is going to vote for him. A lot of guys probably hate him. It goes much deeper than football. He'll gain their respect. Look at what happens every single time RW beats a team. Someone on the opposing defense starts babbling about "that midget" and how it's a fluke he won. Speaks more about the other individuals in my opinion.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Disagree, Sgt Largent. You can most certainly get hype while being talented. For example look no further than how the media slobbered over Brett Favre his entire career.

Andrew Luck is already flirting with Favre territory in terms of media gushing. Dude was 18 of 26, threw for 223, no passing tds (2 rushing), and a couple ints and ESPN was all over him last night. Dont get me wrong, Im impressed with him. But there definitely is hype surrounding him. And yes, simply being the #1 pick brings said hype.

Wilson is most certainly under the radar. He got a little bit of notice at the start of the season for winning the job as a short 3rd round pick. But since then, besides Bill Simmons (who is only one guy), the media in large hasnt said much. Im not complaining, and i totally get it. Luck and RG3 are two of the highest profile rookie qb's ever. And both are playing well. And RG3 is on the east coast. Its all good. But lets not be silly enough to act like Wilson is anything but an afterthought to the national media. Just the other day a poster here quoted ESPN radio as referring to Wilson as "disappears in games". Come on now.

And as far as the OP of this thread is concerned, he most certainly does have an agenda. Even if he's tried to be sneaky and subtle about it of late. Which is his only option at this point, as anything else would get him laughed off this site given Wilson's play of late. The whole point of this thread was his way of saying, "Look! Not everyone is as in love with Wilson as all of you!" The snarky comments said it all.

Fox0r

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":av1ephf4 said:
Disagree, Sgt Largent. You can most certainly get hype while being talented. For example look no further than how the media slobbered over Brett Favre his entire career.

Andrew Luck is already flirting with Favre territory in terms of media gushing. Dude was 18 of 26, threw for 223, no passing tds (2 rushing), and a couple ints and ESPN was all over him last night. Dont get me wrong, Im impressed with him. But there definitely is hype surrounding him. And yes, simply being the #1 pick brings said hype.

Wilson is most certainly under the radar. He got a little bit of notice at the start of the season for winning the job as a short 3rd round pick. But since then, besides Bill Simmons (who is only one guy), the media in large hasnt said much. Im not complaining, and i totally get it. Luck and RG3 are two of the highest profile rookie qb's ever. And both are playing well. And RG3 is on the east coast. Its all good. But lets not be silly enough to act like Wilson is anything but an afterthought to the national media. Just the other day a poster here quoted ESPN radio as referring to Wilson as "disappears in games". Come on now.

And as far as the OP of this thread is concerned, he most certainly does have an agenda. Even if he's tried to be sneaky and subtle about it of late. Which is his only option at this point, as anything else would get him laughed off this site given Wilson's play of late. The whole point of this thread was his way of saying, "Look! Not everyone is as in love with Wilson as all of you!" The snarky comments said it all.

To be fair to Luck, he did run in two TDs, so he could have easily had 2 TD passes.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":6xm4x6rk said:

Exactly. All this past off season, the big talking heads were all over how great Andy Luck and Bob Griffen were going to be in the NFL. Now that they actually ARE doing well (and I fully agree that they both look stellar so far) the big talking heads are at risk of breaking their own arms patting themselves on the back. But with RUSTY, they all said that he's too short and won't ever amount to anything better than a quality back up and now that he's proving them all WRONG, they are conveniently ignoring what he's doing out here in Alaska.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":1rhv3d8h said:

My point was that Luck hasn't asked for any of the hype, and I admire him for that. We saw RG3 in like 20 different commercials before he even took a snap, not Luck.

IMO there's a difference between self inflicted hype (RG3, Favre), and hype through no fault of the player (Luck).

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3ccoqwh1 said:
I understand you hate Wilson. You can probably sell your Flynn jersey for $10 on ebay.

The players may not even know who Wilson is...unless they played him. All they do is see ESPN which is filled with Luck/RGIII love.

Its going to be a loooooonnnnnnnggggg 10-15 years for you in Seahawk land as RW is here to stay for awhile.

:lol:

You bit that hook so predictably well.

Latest posts