Seahawks new intro song, by Paul Allen and his band

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Pete Carroll just tweeted this link today.
    Here's the new Seahawks intro music, written and performed by Paul Allen and his band:

http://soundcloud.com/seattleseahawks/freak-on

I sure hope this isn't a long-term thing. No offense to Allen, but this song is just.... embarrassing. Too funky to be heavy, but too generic to really get much of a funk groove going. Ugh. WTF is up with our LAME intro songs? Wish they'd just make a generic dubstep beat or heavy metal, that'd be better than this.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• somebody please tell me this is a joke.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I wish it was, but....

https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/267327055820095488

Well, at least he's not Jerry Jones or Al Davis, and lets the GM pick the players. God, I hope this isn't a long-term thing, because that song is just WACK AS F@#$K!!!
    Last edited by HansGruber on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• I like it. It's not a great hit or anything, but I'd hardly call it embarrassing.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• this is a nightmare.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:somebody please tell me this is a joke.

Of course it's a joke, they are more than likely going to go with the old stand by, "I Walk The Line"
    Jebus christy, somethings really f576ked up when something like this ruins your day.
    Make a suggestion for an intro song that we'd ALL agree to, ( like that's going to happen) then send to Owner, 1st Fan, Paul Allen eh?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I suggest anything by Zakk Wylde/Black Label Society. That's some pump you up music.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• scutterhawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:somebody please tell me this is a joke.

Of course it's a joke, they are more than likely going to go with the old stand by, "I Walk The Line"
    Jebus christy, somethings really f576ked up when something like this ruins your day.
    Make a suggestion for an intro song that we'd ALL agree to, ( like that's going to happen) then send to Owner, 1st Fan, Paul Allen eh?

Who's day's ruined?

As I side note, I do love the new TD celebration song.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Not playing for me right now, I'll have to check it out later. No matter what, I can't imagine it can be any worse than Bittersweet Symphony, that was the worst intro song in the history of intro songs.... and that's not even an opinion, that's a fact!
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Bittersweet Symphony is THE BEST. I was happy to hear it still being used in some capacity.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Yeah, lets just say that i didnt get jacked or pumped.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:Wish they'd just make a generic dubstep beat

I would take Paul Allen's band over dubstep any day. I can't stand womp womps.

EDIT: Now that I've listened to it, this song isn't that bad. Even if it was, the guy saved our Hawks from leaving town, so he can do what he damn well wants to with the music. At least he put in the effort to write and record his own music for the games. Props for that.
    "I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate
    Hawken-Dazs
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:I like it. It's not a great hit or anything, but I'd hardly call it embarrassing.

Ditto. I think it's reasonable for an intro, IMHO.

Hey, if this is all it takes to keep a super owner like Allen around I'm all for it. Rock on Paul!
    Terry
    (The Lurker)
    tdlabrie
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• It's good to be the king!
    Psychobabbler
    NET Rookie

• Remember, this team is Paul's legacy. He knows that he could be gone any day if the cancer comes back yet again (as horrible as that sounds). He wants to show his love for the team and leave something behind in the way he knows. He brought in designers to create the greatest stadium, the best practice facilities, went and got great coaches, stuffed all the places with great technology. He loves music. He is creating a song for his team that he owns. Cool tribute. I am sure someday when Paul is gone everybody who is griping about this will say how cool it is that Paul expressed himself in the form of art that he knows best and left something to his team that was personal. He's not a big talker or a guy who gets real involved. The closest I've seen in emotion from the guy is when he made a brief appearance on the field after the NFCCG. I think it's cool that he's done something personal for a team that he clearly loves.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Hawken-Dazs wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Wish they'd just make a generic dubstep beat

Yeah but that's my point. I LOATHE dubstep, but at least it's kinda trendy and new. This song was embarrassing because it just sounds tacky, like old classic rock elevator music, doesn't get me jacked up AT ALL.

I just wish we had something that was intense as our team. Something that actually got the crowd fired up.
    Personally, I'd LOVE it if they played something like this:

HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• its not that bad .
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• This song makes me want to beat somebody up because it is so awful. Maybe our Hawks will think the same.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• Thank you Shark for the classy post. And thank you Hans for the Slayer embed.

As far as the song goes, it's very generic, but not bad by any means. It could easily pass mustard as a background song in a television show. Is it appropriate for a football experience? No. But it's not like it's horrible or anything.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• SharkHawk wrote:Remember, this team is Paul's legacy. He knows that he could be gone any day if the cancer comes back yet again (as horrible as that sounds). He wants to show his love for the team and leave something behind in the way he knows. He brought in designers to create the greatest stadium, the best practice facilities, went and got great coaches, stuffed all the places with great technology. He loves music. He is creating a song for his team that he owns. Cool tribute. I am sure someday when Paul is gone everybody who is griping about this will say how cool it is that Paul expressed himself in the form of art that he knows best and left something to his team that was personal. He's not a big talker or a guy who gets real involved. The closest I've seen in emotion from the guy is when he made a brief appearance on the field after the NFCCG. I think it's cool that he's done something personal for a team that he clearly loves.

Yep.

I don't get all the hand wringing over an intro song....geesh. Is it really that important?

Answer: No.

Good on ya, Paul.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• wah, horns cowbell...better than the jerry jones pizza rap
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• It sounds like it should be played during the starting credits of an '80s buddy cop TV show.

I like Bittersweet Symphony a lot. I wish it would stick around. I know it has its detractors, but I am not one of them.
    LargentFan
    NET Starter

• Haha go Paul! Glad he's having fun with this kinda stuff. Yes it sounds like a 90's TV intro but it ain't the worst thing ever.

Also Macklemore on the touchdown celebrations is pretty awesome. I liked that a lot.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

Galen96
    NET Veteran

• JKent82 wrote:Also Macklemore on the touchdown celebrations is pretty awesome. I liked that a lot.

That's what I'm talking about. That song officially gets me pumped and jacked now.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Whatever - to echo the first poster - at least he isn't picking the players. Let him have a little fun.

I will say it is a little mellow - maybe it gets a little bit of a heavier riff rock remix for gameday.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• This is the song they're playing during TD celebrations right now btw.

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Yo Paul , if you're reading this, don't give up your day job.
    Mandu
    NET Starter

• That was Paul Allen's band? I thought it was Rush.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• On a positive note, I don't not like it :mrgreen:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• It would be a great opening theme song for Talkin' Ducks! with your host Max Unger! if it was 1992.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• As a Hendrix buff I would have guessed he could have come up with something a little more "rocking" but hey its his team afterall.....and it is a tad catchy :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Psychobabbler wrote:It's good to be the king!

Hey!, that's it!, Paul Allen,, King of King County, and the Seahawks #1 FAN!
    No generic store bought intro music, and I'm fine with it.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:
    Hawken-Dazs wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Wish they'd just make a generic dubstep beat

Yeah but that's my point. I LOATHE dubstep, but at least it's kinda trendy and new. This song was embarrassing because it just sounds tacky, like old classic rock elevator music, doesn't get me jacked up AT ALL.

I just wish we had something that was intense as our team. Something that actually got the crowd fired up.
    Personally, I'd LOVE it if they played something like this:

Now THIS would be/is a joke.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• AWWWW Paul, how could i hate anything you do!

that said, i would rather have dubstep or Slayer...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• That Maclemore hit is on it.

The whole Paul Allen thing is beyond douchy. Its embarassing, really, really, really embarassing.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Hell yeah. I liked it. A little AWB'ish with the brass accompaniment. The bass was jammin', for those of you too young to appreciate, think "No more tears" from Ozzy. And Paul, scratchin' that guitar like an itch, in time. Nice.
    I think some here want to picture PA sliding accross a stage on his knees rippin' some nasty solo.

My only constructive critique would be with the percussions. Started out a little slow and out of time. Jmo.

For those too cool to be schooled, look at it this way. Do they ever play the intro tune through it's fruition? not sure myself as i haven't been to a game since 81', but i'm pretty sure they dont, and you never hear it watching the games on tv. So, if you can hear "Freak on" past the first 10-15 seconds, you ain't makin' enough noise anyhow. Baaad 12th man.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Gotta love super rich guys with garage bands. You go on with ya bad self uncle Paul!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Guys, this is progress! PA's new Freak On song has understated energy and dynamic tension, and it is magnitudes better than Bittersweet Symphony in that regard. That has been the same-o-same-o since I don't know when. I like the song, but not as an intro to a football game. It's more suitable for a game of cricket or a chess match.

And NOBODY who likes Bittersweet Symphony as an intro song gets to say anything about Freak On being mellow.

BTW, for the record, my personal pick for an intro song is Battle Without Honor or Humanity by Tomoyasu Hotei.

Last edited by BlueTalon on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Super Generic Sounding, but its cool, whatevz.

Never really paid attention to intro music anyway when I go to games, if you need the musical intro to hype you up to watch some Seahawks football you might need to check yoself before you wreck yoself.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• That's not the point. We have BEEN using music that will put you to sleep. You don't want that. More energy is good.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• I LOVE associating music with the Hawks. Bittersweet Symph makes me almost tear up every goddam time I hear it because it makes me think of 05.

I really hope this Macklemore song sticks and this Paul Allen song doesn't last long or is minimally used.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• My druthers is still voodoo chile, but whatcha gonna do. I'm gonna wait this mother out.
    400WattHPSHawk
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Okay....maybe I'm missing something here.....but they have already been playing that song all season.

This is not a new song.

The version they play is a bit more rockin.......but that's the intro song that's been played all year.

What time is it?

It's HAWK TIME !!!!
    What time is it? It's Hawk Time!!!
    Incubus
    NET Bench Warmer

• Ooh...voodoo chile...love it.
    Bitter sweet is good; but that era is done. This team isn't that song.
    I'm all about Seahawks reign...haha, jk. Paul's song is ok; but it absolutely does not pump me up, I can only imagine it wouldn't pump up the players either.
    I think Pete/Paul should take a poll of the players and use that, after all they're who their trying to pump up...or maybe actually take a fan poll (as pumping up the fans is just as important); and actually do what the fans say.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:somebody please tell me this is a joke.

Gong to roll with Zeb on this one. Not that I think bittersweet symphony is any better, but damn.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I think it's cool that he cares enough about the Hawks to want to take the time out to write a song just for the team. :th2thumbs:

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• You guys act like you'll even be able to hear it through the crowd...

but honestly I dont think its bad. I dont even know what we have playing during intro's now.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• But I guess your not a real 12 if you dont have a knee jerk reaction so..

PAUL ALLEN = BUST
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information