Angry that you didn't draft Russell Wilson? Draft this guy:

kearly

Reaction score
Johnny Manziel (probably in the 2016 draft). He's 6'1", 200 lbs. He's got Tebow level intensity but can actually throw a pretty pass and knows how to thread the needle into tight coverage. His footwork is actually quite good for a RS Freshman, and his arm mechanics seem just fine. Watching him today, he kind of reminded me of a mix between Russell Wilson and Tony Romo.

But- 6'1" QBs are almost never taken early, especially those who are just 200 lbs and play in a spread offense.

I need to see more before I'm sure, but Manziel looks legit to me- especially for a first year starter. He's a much better QB than his predecessor, who just went #8 overall in the last draft. Will size haunt him on draft day? Probably. Let's see if Russell Wilson changes the tide because there are a lot of good short QBs coming out in the next couple years.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Well if Steve Spurrier is to be believed and Alabama right now could compete in the NFL, then through transitive process Johnny Manziel could start for most NFL teams right now.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
he is a freshman huh ? i just watched that game , the kid willed that team to victory .

he was very impressive , I think at one point he was 14/15 passing but im not sure how he finished

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Originally commited to Oregon. That would have been a hell of a battle between him and Mariota.

I think they both ended up in the right place though.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've been burnt so many times by QB's from spread offenses that I'm tempted to dismiss him immediately.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":vzq6plg4 said:
I've been burnt so many times by QB's from spread offenses that I'm tempted to dismiss him immediately.

That's changing though. The NFL is becoming much more friendly to spread concepts, and college QBs are entering the league better prepared for the NFL. Cam Newton will probably bounce back, and RG3 is having a tremendous season. Tannehill and Weeden have actually been pretty decent for rookies too. Their having come to the NFL from a non-pro-style offense has not hurt them much. Additionally, Nick Foles looked pretty damn good in the preseason for the Eagles, and he was the ultimate spread QB in college.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think Manziel is a lot more Robert Griffin 3 then Russell Wilson. Much more athletic then Russell, although I'd rather have Russell as our QB.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
JSeahawks":ritckicj said:
I think Manziel is a lot more Robert Griffin 3 then Russell Wilson. Much more athletic then Russell, although I'd rather have Russell as our QB.

I think that's cause he commits to running more. He is very skinny too, which is something Wilson isn't, Wilson is BULKY. This kid you get worried he'll snap in half on those QB draws.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I hate everything related to Texas A&M, but this kid really impressed me, and he did remind me a lot of Russell Wilson. I love this kids intensity and you can tell his teammates would walk through fire for him. Throws the ball very well too. There's not a lot of holes in bama's defense but he squeezed the ball in there. He needs to bulk up a little bit, but that will happen with age.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Mariota will be a better pro. In my opinion.

Goes thru his read progression as smoothly and confidently as any QB i've seen including Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley, already a master at lookin off safeties, Throws an absolutely beautiful ball. Can run with anybody in the country. And his in game demeanor makes Russell Wilson look like a spaz.

And he's a freshman who only started one season in high school and now 10 games in college.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1d1rn2ar said:

Goes thru his read progression as smoothly and confidently as any QB i've seen including Andrew Luck and Matt Barkley, already a master at lookin off safeties, Throws an absolutely beautiful ball. Can run with anybody in the country. And his in game demeanor makes Russell Wilson look like a spaz.

And he's a freshman who only started one season in high school and now 10 games in college.

:242735: :beach:

justafan

Reaction score
My favorite player on AM is Swope.He will never rank high on the measurable but he great route runner,always gets open,fearless and catches everything.He could be one of those later round picks that develops into a steady slot guy.Someones security blanket that always seems to be in the right place at the right time.
Does more with his talent with brains and hard work type of player.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":10n2snlw said:
MontanaHawk05":10n2snlw said:

That's changing though. The NFL is becoming much more friendly to spread concepts, and college QBs are entering the league better prepared for the NFL. Cam Newton will probably bounce back, and RG3 is having a tremendous season. Tannehill and Weeden have actually been pretty decent for rookies too. Their having come to the NFL from a non-pro-style offense has not hurt them much. Additionally, Nick Foles looked pretty damn good in the preseason for the Eagles, and he was the ultimate spread QB in college.
I think the new CBA will help this, too. It's not so much, mabye, that they have to convert from spread to pro style, but how long they have to do it. With the new rookie salary structure, you can draft a guy and give him more time to develop. Even with Wilson, after a couple of games their were people calling for his head around here. Luckily Pete stuck to his guns and the kid is working out and looks to have a bright future. Would that be true for a high first rounder making $60 mill? Hmmm.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
i was saying in the Bama/A&M game thread yesterday that Manziel has a whole lot of Russell Wilson in him. At one point he had completed 14 straight passes against that vaunted "NFL level" defense, and he's a freshman. He moves incredibly well in the pocket, throws well on the run, and has the back shoulder un-interceptable ball down pat. The kid has "it", and proved it as a freshman against a defense that has a stockpile of NFL defenders on it.

I think AJ McCarron has bust at the pro level written all over him. He's so overrated it's not even funny. I think Manziel has already surpassed what Tannehill ever did at A&M. He hasn't lost a road game in the SEC as a FRESHMAN. He is incredibly impressive. His height doesn't seem to be a distraction at all. He runs out of the pocket like a WR who just caught a screen pass (meaning, he just looks natural running through the defense). He's quite a weapon and I look forward to seeing what he does.

For those saying he's a "spread guy", I will say that to me... he just looks like a damn good QB who happens to be playing in a spread. I can remember people saying Steve Young was a gimmick QB because of the offense BYU was running (which was actually the pure west coast offense). He went to the USFL and looked fine. When he got to Tampa Bay he looked bad, because they weren't running the WCO and he struggled. He got to SF and was a legend, because he was back in the WCO.

By the time Manziel is in the NFL, teams will be running more of the spread than they are now, but I think he has the skillset to play in a standard WCO or normal pro set offense. He seems very smart and you can't teach leadership. He walked into Alabama and beat them and did it with amazing skill and confidence. Unless he has injuries or some severe confidence setback, I see absolutely no reason why he won't be at the very least a solid NFL QB. He's shown more improvement in what 9 games or so than Landry Jones has in 3 years. I think he's the very real deal.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1aq4ru6o said:

I don't know if Mariota will be better than Manziel as I haven't seen Johnny play. But I agree with your assesment of Marcus. QBs who can read progress, look off safties, etc. have success written all over them. Add accuracy to his package, which he has as well, and you've got the recipe for excellence on the NFL level. And remeber, I'm a Coug and Husky fan so no Duck homer glasses here.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Mariota is everything UW fans thought Locker was. There is a reason Sark was still calling him at 11:30 the night before signing day, and it's not because he can't play in any type of O.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1xzoyxl8 said:

Should be interesting. It's hard to tell speed from college games. Wilson ran a 4.55 forty which is FAST. Going back to at least 2001, the only two QBs to ever run faster forties and receive decent draft consideration were Vick and RG3.

And his in game demeanor makes Russell Wilson look like a spaz.

Okay, now you're just being a homer. :)

And btw, I just downgraded you from first class to coach on the Russell Wilson bandwagon. 8)

Before I join you in going overboard, I need to see a game where the rest of the team slumps and Mariota carries the team to a tough victory. As good as he's played, he feels more like an accessory in his offense than the driver. That simply won't be true at the NFL level.

I think if you put him on essentially any other Pac-12 team, his numbers would drop dramatically. You put him on a bad NFL team, same deal. That's why I need to see more adversity. Wilson played for a great team that blew opponents out but still had to face a ton of adversity during his college career. Same thing with Johnny Football. I need to see him carry a team on his back when everything is going wrong, etc. Preferably against a superior opponent.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":3dqz20y7 said:
Before I join you in going overboard, I need to see a game where the rest of the team slumps and Mariota carries the team to a tough victory. As good as he's played, he feels more like an accessory in his offense than the driver. That simply won't be true at the NFL level.

That was yesterday my friend. I wish you could have watched that game. D was down its top 5 d'linemen and not playing great. Barner and DAT combined for less then 90 yards rushing (Marshall and bennett put up some garbage time rushing yards). Mariota threw 34 times for 377 yards, 6 td's and 0 int's. Also rushed for 42 yards. Final score wasnt close but it was a dogfight in the first half. Mariota carried the team on his back yesterday.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
You mean when they played Cal? I'm pretty sure Nick Montana could have beat Cal playing on Oregon that day. Winning blowouts 59-17 against far inferior competition is not what I mean. That is not facing adversity. Maybe when Chip Kelly leaves, we'll get to see this team get tested, though probably not for a year or two.

Oregon is so, so good right now- and I'm proud to say I was one of the few who called it. If memory serves, didn't you pick USC? Mariota is a key part of a GREAT team, but he's an accessory. His value to his team is nowhere near Wilson's value to Wisconsin or RG3's value to Baylor. Every week those QBs faced teams keying on them- Mariota faces teams every week that are keying on Barner and Thomas. Even Montee Ball didn't command the same kind of respect from defenses, and we're now seeing that it was Wilson who made Ball great, not the other way around.

But really, I don't want to paint myself into a corner too much, because I do think Mariota will retire as Oregon's best QB (based on his college numbers). I'm not trying to deny how productive he's been. But I also feel like I've seen plenty of Mariota's before- guys like Kaepernick (2nd round), Tui (2nd round), Charlie Ward (late 1st), and Troy Smith (5th round)- guys who's imperfections were glazed over by fans because they were athletic winners with incredible college production. I see plenty of imperfections with Mariota right now and I also think that his situation makes every TD pass feel more like a layup than a 20 foot contested fading jumper.

That said, hey, he's a RS freshman. Chip Kelly might be gone next year. Things change. Players evolve. Maybe by 2015, I'll be right there with you saying he's a top 10 pick. I just don't see it right now. Right now he's pretty much the poster child of system QBs, and he's never truly been tested or been over-matched. But maybe Kelly leaves and teams start game planning the QB more and things get tougher and Mariota shines bright in the face of intense adversity on a regular basis. Even Andrew Luck crumpled under adversity a bit at Stanford- mainly because he almost never had to deal with it behind his all-universe O-line. That's what I want to see from Mariota, but given how good Oregon is, I honestly wonder if I ever will.