PFF refocused Jets @ Seahawks

hawksfan515

Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... s-week-10/

The Seahawks’ defense was rounding into one of the league’s most formidable units, and though they shut down the hapless Jets in this game, there were a couple of players that had enjoyed fine form over the first half of the season who seemed to go missing in this game. Chris Clemons notched just a single hit from 30 pass-rushing snaps as he worked against the Jets’ left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson for the most part, and run-stuffer Brandon Mebane was unable to anchor in the middle as the Jets were able to move him out of the hole with their interior blockers. Mebane had been comfortably our best graded DT against the run early in the year, but after a couple of performances like this he has slipped to seventh. Seattle needs both of these players at their best for that defense to be truly intimidating.

I'm starting to get worried about Mebane a little bit...........

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I'm not as worried about Mebane. I'm more concerned about Clems recent lack of production.

Largent80

Reaction score
I rewatched the game yesterday and Mebane was mostly lined up off the side of the center, and the guard was shooting into him the whole game, meaning he was double teamed.

hawker84

Reaction score
this, and clemons was getting back there, there was several times he rushed the passer into hurried throws, and he did have a big hit... he just didn't get a sack, but he was disruptive. he's a beast and quick, wow is he quick.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Glad to see that Greene didn't break a single tackle on Sunday. Poor tackling KILLED us against the Vikings.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Mebane is being double teamed which means that our other DT, finger pointing at you Branch, is not doing his job the way that it is supposed to be done.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Largent80":2pc8q15u said:
I rewatched the game yesterday and Mebane was mostly lined up off the side of the center, and the guard was shooting into him the whole game, meaning he was double teamed.

When you have 5 OL and 4 DL, the nose is going to get double teamed regularly. He gets paid good money to be that guy and to defeat it.

SirTed

Reaction score
I too am worried a bit about Mebane.

It's not that he's played altogether badly, hell as the article said, early in the year he looked GREAT. And he's still had some nice splash plays here and there but his production has dropped off, for sure. I wonder if it's an injury.

We need Clem to step up as well but he's been a bit more of a boom and bust player (as has our whole pass rush) so I'm not quite as concerned.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3i0id9n2 said:

He's the 1-tech. It's his job to get double teamed.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This team's had a long season with a brutal schedule. If this continues after the bye, I'll be worried, but I think the rest is coming a week or two too late and they've run out of gas. They will hopefully come back rested and healed up and ready to get back to the level of play they had earlier.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3dom9k8i said:
This team's had a long season with a brutal schedule. If this continues after the bye, I'll be worried, but I think the rest is coming a week or two too late and they've run out of gas. They will hopefully come back rested and healed up and ready to get back to the level of play they had earlier.

I agree, he needs this bye week. That and we need to find depth at the interior DT.

sturg78

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":52u47m9n said:
Glad to see that Greene didn't break a single tackle on Sunday. Poor tackling KILLED us against the Vikings.

He didn't break many tackles but there were way too many times that he fell forward for five yards. I liked the beginning of the year when the boys would hit the RB and he would stop on the spot or would get blown back. A couple of 3rd and shorts should have been 3rd and longer had the RB gone down at the point of contact.

Largent80

Reaction score
CANHawk":37766ktl said:
Largent80":37766ktl said:

He's the 1-tech. It's his job to get double teamed.

Yeah, everyone knows it so why rag on a guy that is doing his job. When he is doing it, it frees the others for 1 on 1 assignments. That is where the criticism belongs.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
This reminds me of 2005 when we were on here worried about our depth at our nickel corner position.

The interior defensive line has endured some injuries and Mebane struggled without Jason Jones in there. I just think he's worn down a little bit. He's best when he's shuttling in and out. He's still a solid player who is not getting colin cole'd on double teams. If he's our chief worry, then I'm fine with that.

Not worried at all about Clem. Some days are better than others for pass rushers, that's just the way it goes.

Largent80

Reaction score
Not many of you weak asses could deal with even 165 pound comet bar patrons doubling up on you. So really just shut up.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Largent80":1t4u8qhz said:
Not many of you weak asses could deal with even 165 pound comet bar patrons doubling up on you. So really just shut up.
Don't see anyone saying they could play better than Mebane.

What's this forum supposed to be for if not for discussing your opinions on all things Seahawks football?

Twisted

Reaction score
hawksfan515":319byj4x said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/refo-jets-seahawks-week-10/

The Seahawks’ defense was rounding into one of the league’s most formidable units, and though they shut down the hapless Jets in this game, there were a couple of players that had enjoyed fine form over the first half of the season who seemed to go missing in this game. Chris Clemons notched just a single hit from 30 pass-rushing snaps as he worked against the Jets’ left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson for the most part, and run-stuffer Brandon Mebane was unable to anchor in the middle as the Jets were able to move him out of the hole with their interior blockers. Mebane had been comfortably our best graded DT against the run early in the year, but after a couple of performances like this he has slipped to seventh. Seattle needs both of these players at their best for that defense to be truly intimidating.

I'm starting to get worried about Mebane a little bit...........

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the jets are a whole lot better on the field than they are on paper, they played hard at times and after the first half they had me wondering? if they come out and make the right adjustments and the hawks don't the Jets may make a run for it?

CANHawk

Reaction score
I've eaten burritos bigger than 165lbs.

But yeah, I'm not at all worried about Mebane. As a matter of fact, I think he might be quietly having his best year yet. The Jets game is a bit of an anomaly I think (maybe he's just tired and needs the bye). I'm definately not one of those guys to go back and watch every play in the game in super slow mo, but IIRC, NY did a pretty good job of stretching run plays out on one play, then cutting it back on a bit of a counter or a trap the next (same as SF did). That gets the d-linemen moving side to side a bit where they're a little easier to plow out of the way with the double team (and Shon Green is a pretty damn powerful runner in his own right). LB's need to stay home to step up and plug the gaps, but maybe their youthful exuberance got them cheating a little big (like they did against ADP). All in all, it was still a damn fine game by our defense. We held them to 80 yards on the ground, 100 in the air and zero offensive TD's. Looking for fault in a game like this is just looking for reasons to be a big whiney baby.

As for what is expected of a 1-tech defensive tackle, I love this bit from PFF a few years ago.

1-Technique (4-3 NT) – Pat Williams

The 1-technique does much the same as the 0-technique, except he is shaded over the inside shoulder of one of the guards, and is rarely expected to control two gaps. He is, however, expected to command a double team from the center and guard, which frees up other linemen to be one on one with their blockers. Pat Williams has been the prototype for this position for years. Williams was an immovable force in the middle for the Vikings and required two players to try and shift him from the point of attack, leaving Kevin Williams single-blocked by a guard, and allowing linebackers to run free to the ball and make stops close to the line of scrimmage. A good 1-technique DT can dramatically improve an entire run defense, because he makes several players’ jobs much easier.
Alternative prototypes: Haloti Ngata, Antonio Dixon, Colin Cole*

*lol, Colin Cole...