PFF refocused Jets @ Seahawks

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The run defense has been showing major cracks in the armor. Lets hope the offense is now good enough to allow us to keep winning cause I am not liking what i am seeing from the run d.

Jville

Reaction score
hawksfan515":a79c2x0u said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/13/refo-jets-seahawks-week-10/

The Seahawks’ defense was rounding into one of the league’s most formidable units, and though they shut down the hapless Jets in this game, there were a couple of players that had enjoyed fine form over the first half of the season who seemed to go missing in this game. Chris Clemons notched just a single hit from 30 pass-rushing snaps as he worked against the Jets’ left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson for the most part, and run-stuffer Brandon Mebane was unable to anchor in the middle as the Jets were able to move him out of the hole with their interior blockers. Mebane had been comfortably our best graded DT against the run early in the year, but after a couple of performances like this he has slipped to seventh. Seattle needs both of these players at their best for that defense to be truly intimidating.

I'm starting to get worried about Mebane a little bit...........

LOL I hope your not taking the work of PPF seriously. I mean look at the content of this article.

For example: The New York Jets thought so much of Mebane's play they were compelled to double team Brandon. And what did the great and powerful combo dual of left guard Matt Slauson and right tackle Austin Howard help the Jet's run game produce? Eightly four (thats 84) yards. That's it. :229031_shrug:

Singled out for special attention by the Jets and double teamed all game long and yet PPF thinks Mebane's game is headed south, downgrade their rating on Brandon, and lay that 84 yard responsibilty solely on his head. Brilliant :34853_doh:

Should I assume that these alleged "impressive (2 on 1) blocks" have driven PPF's grades for Slauson and Howard thru the roof? :lol:

Jet "O-Line Revival"? "AWOL Defenders"? :34853_doh: Really?

That article and PFF player ratings may float in some circles. But, I'm not buying any of it. And neither should Jet or Seahawk fans.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Jville":zxf0u64x said:
hawksfan515":zxf0u64x said:

The Seahawks’ defense was rounding into one of the league’s most formidable units, and though they shut down the hapless Jets in this game, there were a couple of players that had enjoyed fine form over the first half of the season who seemed to go missing in this game. Chris Clemons notched just a single hit from 30 pass-rushing snaps as he worked against the Jets’ left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson for the most part, and run-stuffer Brandon Mebane was unable to anchor in the middle as the Jets were able to move him out of the hole with their interior blockers. Mebane had been comfortably our best graded DT against the run early in the year, but after a couple of performances like this he has slipped to seventh. Seattle needs both of these players at their best for that defense to be truly intimidating.

LOL I hope your not taking the work of PPF seriously. I mean look at the content of this article.

For example: The New York Jets thought so much of Mebane's play they were compelled to double team Brandon. And what did the great and powerful combo dual of left guard Matt Slauson and right tackle Austin Howard help the Jet's run game produce? Eightly four (thats 84) yards. That's it. :229031_shrug:

Singled out for special attention by the Jets and double teamed all game long and yet PPF thinks Mebane's game is headed south, downgrade their rating on Brandon, and lay that 84 yard responsibilty solely on his head. Brilliant :34853_doh:

Should I assume that these alleged "impressive (2 on 1) blocks" have driven PPF's grades for Slauson and Howard thru the roof? :lol:

That article and PFF player ratings may float in some circles. But, I'm not buying any of it. And neither should Jet or Seahawk fans.

Hey, they actually did watch the game in a breakdown fashion, unlike you. And tell me you haven't noticed any sort of difference in our run D from now and week 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5? Our line was playing so well then that Greene would likely not have gotten positive yardage. Just ask Ryan Williams.

Something happened. Not sure what it is, but we'll find out soon.

Jville

Reaction score
hawksfan515":tjmhngws said:
Jville":tjmhngws said:
hawksfan515":tjmhngws said:

Hey, they actually did watch the game in a breakdown fashion, unlike you. And tell me you haven't noticed any sort of difference in our run D from now and week 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5? Our line was playing so well then that Greene would likely not have gotten positive yardage. Just ask Ryan Williams.

:177692: Easy there neighbor ...... my coments were directed at the article and referenced site ..... not you.

All I am saying is that the work of PFF is not gospel. I am not buying into it as an act of blind faith. And, neither should you.

kearly

Reaction score
I generally don't worry about players if I need a magnifying glass to find flaws in their performances (Mebane). And with Clemons, he's the same he's been all year, but sacks and even pressures tend to come in bunches. He was a tenth of a second from a sack/fumble at one point but Sanchez just got the ball out in time (incomplete).

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Yes, something has happened, its called scouting. there isn't a defense in the NFL without weaknesses, be it scheme or talent. There have been some injuries on the defensive interior, and, all of the success in running the ball against the Seahawks has come up the gut(aside from the Jets game, hilariously enough, when the Jets made their bones attacking the edge).

I actually was rather pleased with one thing in regards to the run defense from Sunday, the Jets ran a trap play, which the Lions, Vikings and 49ers ran with success, and Mebane and company executed and ate it up. Good to see.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":7iout84c said:
I'm not worried about either of those guys at this point.

Frankly....I'm worried! If they will only put out this limited effort while playing in the Clink with the 12th Man behind them......how much effort will we see playing on the Road?

dunceface

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3n483w7k said:

I feel like the Whiners exposed a major hole in our run D with the success of the 1920's style trap plays and other teams have replicated it with decreasing success but I feel like as we remedy that weak spot it will make us a more well rounded defense

seahawks08

Reaction score
Can someone explain what the trap play was. I saw the 49ers game and the gushing through the middle but curios to know the details. The next time they are in town they may have other schemes too in place specially if we try to over correct and open up other holes. Hope we can personnel wise and scheme wise outplay them this time!

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
seahawks08":116y8bh2 said:
Can someone explain what the trap play was. I saw the 49ers game and the gushing through the middle but curios to know the details. The next time they are in town they may have other schemes too in place specially if we try to over correct and open up other holes. Hope we can personnel wise and scheme wise outplay them this time!

Basically the guard let's the DT penetrate into the backfield too far, over pursuing the runner, and the guard will then push them out of the play.

EDIT: Look's like mine's wrong, my bad. Thanks Absolut.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
seahawks08":396iioxv said:

The DT (3 tech ideally, D2 below) is left unblocked by the RG (who goes looking for the first LB inside). The LG steps behind the center (who is down blocking to fill on D1) and "traps" the unblocked D2 who is headed upfield like he is making a play. RB comes right off his tail and bounces it behind the G on the LB. One of my 2 or 3 favorite plays to run in high school, and I love seeing it in the NFL. Really wish we would take a similar approach with Lynch and start using a "down and pull" blocking scheme more often.

LB
D1 D2
T LG C RG T

Well that formatting didnt carry over when I posted, so this is what I was getting at

diagram8.gif

hawker84

Reaction score
i will buy the we need the bye to get healed up, but i'm not buying the they need to rest because they're tired... i would assume like a lot of you on here, at one time played some form of organized football, i did into my late teens, early 20's, and yes you get banged up, but you do not get tired. maybe right after a game and the next day or so, but not after a week.. i remember hating to wait the whole week to get back out there... these are professional athletes... they're in shape... which is why i could never understand why they rested baseball players.. how do you get tired playing baseball?

i don't know my point, just felt like rambling.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawker84":y390n3vk said:
i will buy the we need the bye to get healed up, but i'm not buying the they need to rest because they're tired... i would assume like a lot of you on here, at one time played some form of organized football, i did into my late teens, early 20's, and yes you get banged up, but you do not get tired. maybe right after a game and the next day or so, but not after a week.. i remember hating to wait the whole week to get back out there... these are professional athletes... they're in shape... which is why i could never understand why they rested baseball players.. how do you get tired playing baseball?

i don't know my point, just felt like rambling.

Well let me ramble s'more then. Tired is not the issue (meaning I agree with you). The players are getting dinged up. My bet is that one of them is Mebane. Our interior DL was getting pushed backward too much during the Jets game in particular. My guess is that Mebane has contracted is annual pulled calf muscle and is gutting it out right now. As he goes, so does the 'stoutness' of our interior DL. Branch is a joke at the point of attack. I'd venture another guess that Bryant is dealing with a few issues as well. Hopefully the bye week will be enough time to allow them to get better.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Love that breakdown, ABS. We have been going to some man blocking plays like those later in games when our ZBS is struggling, but not sooner.

Also, a few weeks back Meebs had a calf injury, the same thing that plagued him earlier in his career. He has been playing through it, but his struggles have coincided with missed time by Jones, and magnified the injury. I am curious to see if a week off fixes his wounds.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I thought Mebane has been playing well this season. He's a physical force and demands a double team. It's up to Branch and the linebackers to get in there and stop it.

Unlike against Minnesota where we had Clint McDonalds in there getting pushed way out of the play and opening huge holes for AP.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm more worried about the Pass Rush and 3rd Down Defense on the road, have zero worries about the team at home.