Could this be the best draft class in team history?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
amill87":2rd3tew7 said:
Wasn't the pick for Lynch from the 2011 draft as well?

What is most impressive (at least IMO) is that every year they have had at least one pro bowler (or pro bowl caliber) player from the draft.

I'm not sure who the pro bowler is from the 2012 draft... But I get your point, as there could be as many as 3 pro bowler from the 2012 draft.

What I am a little worried about though is that all the pro-bowlers (and all-pro's, in Earl's and likely Shermans case) are in the secondary. I'm thinking we need to start hitting on maybe a DT or something.

amill87

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2ot1sdc2 said:
amill87":2ot1sdc2 said:

What is most impressive (at least IMO) is that every year they have had at least one pro bowler (or pro bowl caliber) player from the draft.

I'm not sure who the pro bowler is from the 2012 draft... But I get your point, as there could be as many as 3 pro bowler from the 2012 draft.

What I am a little worried about though is that all the pro-bowlers (and all-pro's, in Earl's and likely Shermans case) are in the secondary. I'm thinking we need to start hitting on maybe a DT or something.

If Wagner keeps it up, I could see him as a pro bowl alternate this year (Willis and Bowman get in on rep and deservedly so).

Okung, Wright, Wilson, and Irvin all are either already pro bowl quality or are close to it IMO.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
amill87":2nkk368e said:
hawksfan515":2nkk368e said:
amill87":2nkk368e said:

If Wagner keeps it up, I could see him as a pro bowl alternate this year (Willis and Bowman get in on rep and deservedly so).

Okung, Wright, Wilson, and Irvin all are either already pro bowl quality or are close to it IMO.

Wagner won't make the pro bowl, he's gotta compete with James Laurinitis, Willis, And Daryl Washington, and that's just from our division.

Just too much elite competition, and Wagner is good, but he's not elite yet.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I'd love to see all other team's drafts from the last 3 years. Our front office has to be lapping the field as far as talent drafted.

3 pro bowl DBs
Starting Left Tackle for a decade
Aldon Smith part deux
2 quality starting LBs
2 starting caliber OGs
Golden Tate

Oh, yeah, and a guy named Russell Wilson.

Man this roster was practically devoid of talent when these guys arrived. Mebane and Bryant are the only Pro-bowl caliber players and Red is only that because Pete knows how to use him.

If this happened in New York or Dallas, Carroll would be coach of the year and Schneider would be exec of the year

Thank you, Paul Allen

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Jac":vtp03p5w said:
You typically need a top 5-10 pick to get a starting QB or a uniquely-gifted pash rushing DE. To get them both without those kind of picks is epic. And the way Wagner is playing just makes the whole thing a coup. The fact that both our 7th rounders look like they'll be meaningful contributors and roster depth for years is just insane.

This is the draft that could flip draft grades on their head. Our draft was universally panned as the worst in the league, while in reality, it could really set the foundation for a true SB team.

sprinkle in the fact that you were also able to a SOLID #2 RB in Robert Turbin. A Situational interior pass rusher in Greg Scruggs (7th round) and guard who's started a few game after converting from DT. I'd have to say that's the best 7th round draft we've seen in some time.

bellingerga

Reaction score
kearly":1funt5qh said:
The 2011 draft has been this regimes worst, and it's produced two starter caliber players on the OL, a good starting LB and an all-pro caliber CB.

Our FO is scary good.

Man what a difference a couple year makes. Our current regimes "bad" draft is better than alot of teams idea of a good draft.

I love John Scheider and the fact that he works so closely with Pete. It's not like Ruskell where he quite obviously alienated his coaching staff and drafted who he wanted, the current front office we have takes EVERYTHING into account, including Petes knowledge of all the guys coming out of college the last few years.