Keep Jason Jones!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Starting the wagon up early on this one.

He's done well IMO as the situational DT on obvious passing downs, and he's been Clem's & Irvin's best friend.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Depends on what he's looking for. If it's another one year deal, sure. Injuries have been a bit of a problem for him but at the same time we've seen the defense dip to 2011 levels in terms of pass rush and production whenever he's not in there, so he's clearly valuable. I'd be fine with 2 years/8 mil but I don't know how much further I'd be willing to go. That's just me though.

Also, if Greg Scruggs keeps developing and shows the staff that he might be Jones 2.0 by next season, then I think Jones' chances of staying with the team decrease.

MeenReen

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what happens with him. He had to have gotten offers with more than one year on the deal last offseason IMO, but he wanted to have a breakout year in order to cash in. That hasn't exactly worked out due to injuries, so I'm hoping we can re-sign him for about 4 a year. Who knows, though.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
NYCoug":uzdi3wqs said:
Depends on what he's looking for. If it's another one year deal, sure. Injuries have been a bit of a problem for him but at the same time we've seen the defense dip to 2011 levels in terms of pass rush and production whenever he's not in there, so he's clearly valuable. I'd be fine with 2 years/8 mil but I don't know how much further I'd be willing to go. That's just me though.

Also, if Greg Scruggs keeps developing and shows the staff that he might be Jones 2.0 by next season, then I think Jones' chances of staying with the team decrease.

He is going to want more than a one-year deal.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1epms5xj said:
NYCoug":1epms5xj said:

If the price is right, I think he's worth a three year deal. He's only 26. Obviously his price should be a little lower given his injury history, but man, he's a force.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":24aoq6gp said:
FlyingGreg":24aoq6gp said:
NYCoug":24aoq6gp said:

If the price is right, I think he's worth a three year deal. He's only 26. Obviously his price should be a little lower given his injury history, but man, he's a force.

Agreed.

NYCoug

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1tdvw24i said:
NYCoug":1tdvw24i said:

Of course. However, if he keeps getting dinged up then he won't really have much of a say in the matter. He might want to give another 1 year deal a shot to see if he can increase his value on the open market. That being said, I think you're right and ultimately he'll get more than a 1 year deal.

I'm torn on whether or not I'd go 3 years. Remember, Branch is an FA too and then you've got all the guys in the secondary coming up for extension, the FO is going to have to pick their battles if you will. I feel that Branch is easier to replace through the draft and guys like Jones don't grow on trees. Big question for me at least is if Jones can continue to stay healthy.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
NYCoug":3udow5d0 said:
FlyingGreg":3udow5d0 said:
NYCoug":3udow5d0 said:

Of course. However, if he keeps getting dinged up then he won't really have much of a say in the matter. He might want to give another 1 year deal a shot to see if he can increase his value on the open market. That being said, I think you're right and ultimately he'll get more than a 1 year deal.

I'm torn on whether or not I'd go 3 years. Remember, Branch is an FA too and then you've got all the guys in the secondary coming up for extension, the FO is going to have to pick their battles if you will. I feel that Branch is easier to replace through the draft and guys like Jones don't grow on trees. Big question for me at least is if Jones can continue to stay healthy.

Dinged up vs "always hurt" - huge difference. He's only missed 2 games.

Someone will offer him a multiple-year deal. I hope it's us - there is a big difference in our defense with him playing.

NYCoug

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3cciroek said:
Dinged up vs "always hurt" - huge difference. He's only missed 2 games.

Someone will offer him a multiple-year deal. I hope it's us - there is a big difference in our defense with him playing.

Very true. Good points. I like him and think he's a versatile guy that makes others around him better, but I'm just wondering what the financial/years commitment would have to look like to keep him around and whether it'd be worth it to keep him or save the money for other contracts that are coming up. It's probably going to come down to Jones or Branch, in which case I'd go with Jones.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NYCoug":35odbwvl said:
FlyingGreg":35odbwvl said:
NYCoug":35odbwvl said:

You're placing your entire reluctance on the issue of health, but this is a front office that has gambled with injury quite often. Walter Thurmond, Leon Washington, and Sidney Rice, were all known for getting frequently nicked-up, but Seattle acquired them, expensively so in the case of Rice. I think Pete will go for Jones. We have the depth and potential at defensive tackle to withstand the occasional injury.

drdiags

Reaction score
I could see them picking up Jones. I wonder if they are still high on Branch or have the younguns shown enough where they are confident in letting him go? McDonald was an ERFA last season and I am thinking they only tendered a qualifying offer for this season?

NYCoug

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ebou89c said:
You're placing your entire reluctance on the issue of health, but this is a front office that has gambled with injury quite often. Walter Thurmond, Leon Washington, and Sidney Rice, were all known for getting frequently nicked-up, but Seattle acquired them, expensively so in the case of Rice. I think Pete will go for Jones. We have the depth and potential at defensive tackle to withstand the occasional injury.

True, all good points that you bring to the table. I'm not against bringing back Jones, no, I think he's a very strong player in this defense. Just wondering how much he'll command and whether or not he'll be worth it, that's all.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I've been on the Jones-Wagon since before he got here and have been totally impressed with him ever since, so totally put me down for a big "hell yeah" in regards to keeping Jason Jones. Dude's a pimp.

sutz

Reaction score
We need him, or someone very like him active on game days. I'm assuming they'll make him some kind of offer in their "try to keep your own guys first" mentality. It makes sense; the devil you know is better than one you don't. They've had time to see his strengths and weaknesses, and I'm sure they're scouring the market to see who is out there that might be better, be he another Vet or a college kid likely to be drafted. Pass rushing DTs can be difficult to find sometimes. IIRC, it was kind of a fluke that JJ fell into our laps when he did.

In P&S I trust.

:229031_shrug:

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Remember we are trying to push the green bay philosophy here guys. Form a winning club and have guys re-sign here for cheaper than they would elsewhere because they want to be part of a winning ball club. Your going to see most of those guys back. No doubt in my mind

Latest posts