Old School Sacks

scutterhawk

Reaction score
How many here remember "the way it was", when you didn't have to take a Quarterback all the way down, to register a sack?

The old term was "In The Grasp", and didn't allow for the Quarterback to continue with his pass attempt, and this was supposedly to protect the Quarterback from possible injury.
Now,,I'm not advocating for going back to those old rules, not at all, BUT, how did that rule change the sack totals for players nowadays?
Perhaps there are some here that would know where to find the statistics that show where the differences have or haven't affected the outcome of the sack totals, orto whether Quarterbacks are at a greater risk or not, with the not so new rules.

aku

Reaction score
My memory is a bit hazy on it, but wasn't that rule only around for a few years? Or did it just get emphasized one year and removed the next?

sutz

Reaction score
I don't know that the "In the grasp" rule was ever actually rescinded or abolished, but they did stop enforcing it so strictly after the first season or so. It got a lot of bad commentary of the "put a skirt on the QB" type, as one would expect.

They do still occasionally call an ITG sack, but only if it looks like a situation comparable to when an RB's forward progress is fully stopped. If a defensive player has a full body lock on a QB, they'll blow the whistle before he gets body slammed. Otherwise, they let them play it out much more so than in that year or two that the rule was really emphasized.

I hope that made sense.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
sutz":mcbbyx1f said:
I don't know that the "In the grasp" rule was ever actually rescinded or abolished, but they did stop enforcing it so strictly after the first season or so. It got a lot of bad commentary of the "put a skirt on the QB" type, as one would expect.

They do still occasionally call an ITG sack, but only if it looks like a situation comparable to when an RB's forward progress is fully stopped. If a defensive player has a full body lock on a QB, they'll blow the whistle before he gets body slammed. Otherwise, they let them play it out much more so than in that year or two that the rule was really emphasized.

I hope that made sense.

I remember the Tyree catch, the officials said after the game they were a split second away from blowing it dead for a sack.

OP
OP
S

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1as019po said:

I hope that made sense.
Yes, Thanks sutz, I'd always thought of it as a wuss rule.
Just wondered why I hadn't heard of any announcements for the ITG rule changes, and noticed that back when (for a couple/three years) that it was being called frequently, and then nothing.

Twisted

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":v92titaj said:
The Tyree catch, just in case anyone else wants to revisit Eli's Houdini act like I did:

http://youtu.be/27XeNefwABw

I remember that one, in green bay thats an incomplete pass for the apposing offense, possibly OPI as well? greatest play ever in the entire history of the universe if green bay is the offense especially if arron rogers made the throw..

chris98251

Reaction score
With Culpepper, Cunningham, McNabb, Rothesburger, type QB's that were either elusive and or could have guys hanging all over them and still throw the ball it became a complaint from the QB's that they were not down, 250 plus pound QB's just don't fall down when someone is hanging on them and can still make plays.

Latest posts