Why does ESPN say Minnesota is ahead of Seattle?

nategreat

Reaction score
ESPN is wrong, NFL.com is right.

ESPN has the correct tie-breaking procedure written on their site (a replica of what's on NFL.com), however, they didn't seem to think it through before putting up their playoff seeds. Which makes sense, because they literally went up RIGHT after the Bucs game- in an effort to be the quickest, they completely failed at giving any sort of accuracy.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is still confused.....

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

This does not apply, all 3 are still tied, move to step 2.

2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Minnesota lost to both Tampa and Seattle and therefore are elminated. It is now a 2 way tie between Seattle and Tampa.

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

Not applicable

Step 2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Seahawks are 4-4, Buccaneers are 3-4.

Seahawks get the 6th seed, ESPN is wrong.

Rainger

Reaction score
edogg23":1hdqqvxj said:
rainger":1hdqqvxj said:
jkitsune":1hdqqvxj said:
They have it wrong. First tiebreaker is head to head.
Yup what he said Typical ESPN shit. I have grown to really dislike them over the last few years.
Or read the thread and realize ESPN is right. :34853_doh:
Or maybe you need to study the process a bit further and realize they are not.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Well dammit, if only they would let us play the rest of our schedule we might have made it. At least there is always next year.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
rainger":a1s8a7sm said:
jkitsune":a1s8a7sm said:
Yup what he said Typical ESPN shit. I have grown to really dislike them over the last few years.

Either you cant read or your trolling

Rainger

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":tfkftfzt said:
rainger":tfkftfzt said:
jkitsune":tfkftfzt said:

Either you cant read or your trolling
Trolling? :pukeface: :229031_banghead:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
edogg23":393uaxud said:
rainger":393uaxud said:
jkitsune":393uaxud said:
Or read the thread and realize ESPN is right. :34853_doh:

No dude.. the media hates Seattle and clearly the media is keeping them out of the playoffs :mrgreen:

Rainger

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1eiqnexu said:
edogg23Or read the thread and realize ESPN is right. :34853_doh:[/quote:1eiqnexu said:
No dude.. the media hates Seattle and clearly the media is keeping them out of the playoffs :mrgreen:

Has nothing to do with your over generalization. My comment had nothing to do with media hate or over reaction. ESPN is now bigger in dollars than the NFL. They have become gods in their own mind.

For those who actually look at their reporting and watching the trends of this organization they will see that ESPN is trying to tell the world what is what with everything to do with sport. You can have your man crush on them.

All I said was I was I have really grown to dislike them. Why the hell am I not alowed my opinion and likes and dislikes without you telling me I am "WRONG"???

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Always just check out NFL.com for things like this. They will have the right info on there.

Seahawks are #6 seed as of today.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1hfxr9y0 said:
HawkFan72":1hfxr9y0 said:
Always just check out NFL.com for things like this. They will have the right info on there.

Phew! Thank goodness for that. I was worried we were out of playoff contention there for a minute...

Wait, I just remembered, this whole thread is completely pointless and the playoff standings right now are meaningless.

Good point, I'd rather be 1-9 so we wouldn't have to deal with these stupid threads.

nategreat

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":234ulh6j said:
HawkFan72":234ulh6j said:

Phew! Thank goodness for that. I was worried we were out of playoff contention there for a minute...

Wait, I just remembered, this whole thread is completely pointless and the playoff standings right now are meaningless.

We get it, you don't like this thread.

In my opinion, though, it's good to keep a beat on playoff seeds, now that we are working our way into Week 12. It makes things much more interesting to keep track of at this point. True, it may not matter too much right now, as a lot can (and will) change before the end of Week 17. But I guarantee you will not simply ignore the next 5 weeks, and I challenge you to not take a look at the playoff picture until we finish our last game of the season against the Rams. Each week from here on out is important, and it's nice to know where we stand- even if it's not final.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
nategreat":1ddfq8vi said:
peachesenregalia":1ddfq8vi said:
HawkFan72":1ddfq8vi said:

We get it, you don't like this thread.

In my opinion, though, it's good to keep a beat on playoff seeds, now that we are working our way into Week 12. It makes things much more interesting to keep track of at this point. True, it may not matter too much right now, as a lot can (and will) change before the end of Week 17. But I guarantee you will not simply ignore the next 5 weeks, and I challenge you to not take a look at the playoff picture until we finish our last game of the season against the Rams. Each week from here on out is important, and it's nice to know where we stand- even if it's not final.

He was just joking. everyone got it except you. at least that will be the story.

Rainger

Reaction score
This from CBS sports:

Seattle and Tampa Bay are ahead of Minnesota based on head to head sweep (2-0). Seattle is ahead of Tampa Bay based on conference record (4-4 to the Buccaneers' 3-4).

Nuf said for all you ESPN junkies. Go look at ESPN's own made up system for grading QB's. (no, no one else especaily the NFL knew what was right, they needed to created their own system).

According to them Jake Locker is the 7th best QB in football and RW is only the 18th. GIVE ME A BREAk. You can make what ever stats you want to justifiy your opinion especially when they are as subjective as the opinions of the ESPN writers.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":238p8hdk said:
HawkFan72":238p8hdk said:

So did we ever make the playoffs or not? I got lost in here somehow.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":jn4j6b9s said:
peachesenregalia":jn4j6b9s said:
HawkFan72":jn4j6b9s said:

So did we ever make the playoffs or not? I got lost in here somehow.

Nope, but at least we got a top 5 pick in the draft. (though apparently we lost 2 double secret rolls for position knocking us back from pick 3). Suck for Luck, suck for Luck, suck for Luck!!! Yay.

Latest posts