When did Russell Wilson win you over?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I started paying attention back during his Wisconsin year. I had heard of him because Auburn was one of the schools he was rumored to be considering for his senior year, so I checked out his history at NC State and was impressed. I didn't pay much attention to college football last season, though I would see now and again that he was doing really well at Wisconsin. And then when Kip started talking about him, I thought he'd be a great option to take a flyer on. And so I started reading up on him as much as I could, and what I read plus seeing Gruden with him... well, I started seeing him as a real possibility for QBOTF rather than a project (of course, it helped that I wasn't keen on the Flynn signing, too).

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
I'm not sure, exactly. I was in the Flynn camp HARD after we signed him, and early in training camp too. Hearing reports of how he wasn't excelling didn't help me along any, but the first time Russ took the ball in the 2nd half (forgot who the first opp was) in the preseason, it was obvious to me. He was so playing at a different speed and level than anyone else...I wondered if it was just him being better than who he was playing against, but the KC game for sure......he was so dope that game.

I still doubted, heading into the AZ game, and even after that, thinking back on it. I wasn't sold on AZ's DEF, although talented, it's still AZ...

The GB game was awesome, and the NE game was too. I am totally in his camp 100% now, and I think his ceiling is ridiculously high. I expect him to lead us to at least 1 SB in his career, and as a fan, I can say if it's only one I'd be surprised.

AVL

Reaction score
mikeak":si2okcz0 said:
As an NC State grad my answer is his third year at NC State. I was amazed at his improvement while playing baseball between seasons. I mean the guy should be getting worse at least for the first game but nope. He studied the game during grueling baseball seasons.

Now I will admit the first real NFL game was not what people hoped for but I thought it was expected. And when he threw the TD to McCoy in the Dallas game I knew he would pan out.

Not a NCS grad here, but related through marriage to the school. Been lukewarm to the school since they made Jimmy V a God before throwing him under the bus, long before most of you were born.

RW was drafted out of high school by the Orioles, but turned it down to play two sports at NCS. Then, as often happens to players, a coaching change was made. Some coaches don't like their starting quarterbacks to miss spring training ( maybe receivers too?) Had he gone straight to baseball I am guessing he would have learned to hit the curve. If he had stayed at State he would not have gotten this opportunity so quickly if at all.

I am probably the only one here that was hoping RW would catch fire with the Rockies and not look back, but that was before he transferred to Wisconsin and I got to see him play with a decent O-line.

Largent80

Reaction score
Long before the draft I was at the Rose Bowl game and watched Wilson play. At that time I wanted him to be a Hawk. I was sure that after I heard pre draft interviews that he was a perfect fit for us. I was ecstatic when we got him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
When he was named the starter. Which is when Flynn would have had me, oddly enough. I roll with Pete, not a player.

I wish they had a Pete Carroll jersey.

City

Reaction score
3rd and 4 scramble down 7-3 to the patriots when he circled and broke a Jerod Mayo tackle for a first down. He then threw a TD to Doug Baldwin to put us up 10-7. I took a while.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I started following him maybe half way through his senior year at Wisconsin. I was pleasantly surprised when the Hawks picked him in the draft fully expecting him to be Flynn's backup. But from the very first pre-season game against Tennessee I was on the edge of my seat. Then the Denver game the hook was set! I was telling my wife this kid is the future of the franchise right then. He is getting better every week too.

Go Hawks!

Rainger

Reaction score
SilkMonkey":1dr6stjg said:
Draft Day - after the picks were done, I saw Gruden QB camp. Sold.I also was convinced with my own eyes first day at camp with the QBs warming up probably 20 feet away from me. Flynn looked...alright. Tavaris threw bullets and Russell looked special.
:13: :13: :13: Changed my tag line on that day

grizbob

Reaction score
He hasn't, he's still too short and I, like Randy Newman am a short person hater ;)

But cereally, see Dom's post :th2thumbs:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Pats game showed he had improved enough to claim the job. Am going to hate it when Flynn leaves for another club and lights it up, but I like Wilson and always have. Would still have rather won the Rams and Cards games than given Wilson time to learn the speed and complexity of the NFL, but now he's got to the point where none of that matters and the milk is spilt so it's time to get behind him. Pats game showed that.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Patriots game. It was the first time we really got to see what he can do when the entire offense was at his disposal. Since then, I've believed our offense can come back in any game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I started to really like him after the QB Camp with Gruden.

But I was not officially "sold" on him until the Pats game. He proved he can sling the ball and win with his arm, not just be a compliment to Lynch. I needed to see that to be convinced he can be the long-term guy.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Pre-draft for me. He was the QB I wanted most based on our draft position.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
The Queefs game in the pre season.

Did not see your typical rookie. Wilson made the correct reads, called the right protections, looked off safeties, threw the ball with accuracy and converted Touchdowns, and when plays broke down he moved the chains with his legs, didn't take a hit.

The IT factor.

sam1313

Reaction score
Dallas game. I got to attend that one, and when he hit (McCoy? or Miller?) for the 30 yard touchdown pass on a seam route, the hook was set (the 30+ yard run he had called back didn't hurt either).

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm gona stay away from the usual, I knew he was good the day he was born type comments.

He proved to me the offense has gotten a lot better during the Vikings game thats when I was fully sold on his stuff.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Was impressed by him at Wisconsin. My heart skipped a beat when the pick was announced at the draft. I was excited with the signing of Flynn, but the moment Wilson was drafted, I knew he would emerge the starter. As a Seahawk fan from the beginning and an avid draftnik, QB picks for the Seahawks have far and few between. This was a pick that just felt right.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The last month I've liked what I've seen from Wilson .. he's really growing to be an efficient QB.

I think two things stand out above the rest though, for me anyway.

- How he handled the 49ers game.
Wide receivers were dropping everything like we had a time warp back to 2003-2004. Wilson had one "WTF?" throw, the interception into triple coverage when Rice was running all by himself underneath - but aside from that.. he was doing everything you could ask of the kid, and he just wasn't getting help. But where most rookies would begin to press a little bit and start forcing the issue.. especially against that defense.. Wilson stayed cool the entire time. And yeah we lost and didn't score a single touchdown in the game, but his demeanor was just very impressive.

- How he handled the Jets game.
I think outside of the start of the second half in Carolina, the first quarter and a half against the Jets was Wilson's worst in his short career so far. The Jets seemed to really be harassing him after a quick TD pass to open the game, and they would score their only TD of the game on a Wilson fumble.. but again, like the 49ers game, where you would expect a young kid to start panicking and having his mistakes snowball beneath him - Wilson stayed calm.. and eventually the game turned into a rout in a good way.

The kid just stays so calm when everything around him is going to hell in a hand basket. THAT is what I love about him. I know many on here are already christening him to be great.. I don't think he's there YET.. but he has that potential to be. And he definitely has this trait down pat, and it's a trait that can not be taught to players.. you either have it, or you don't.

Latest posts