When did Russell Wilson win you over?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Draft day. I've never seen a guy so pumped to be drafted by the Hawks. I was begging for him to be picked and said I'd take him in the second (everybody cracked up). I just didn't want to miss out on a talent like him, even if it meant "overpaying" and have him learn as our backup for a couple of years. Then we actually drafted him and to see how excited he was I think I felt like he felt in his mind that he could come in here and win the job. I like that kind of confidence.

I am traditionally not a big Wisconsin fan, but I ended up getting stuck a couple of their games last year and I was so impressed with Russell. He had a cannon for an arm and always knew what to do. Never flustered.

As for when I was 100% sure he had "it" at the NFL level, it was after he walked off the field after beating the Patriots and wasn't acting like a goofy kid or like he just won the Superbowl or something. He just walked over and shook Tom Brady's hand and approached him like an equal, not like a worshipper, and walked off the field like it was just another day and he was punching out and going home. He fully expects to win every game, no matter who they are playing and he showed it on that day against the one team I'd say is truly a dynasty as far as beating up on teams week in and week out.

Sac

Reaction score
He held my hand once, and pressed me against his bosom whispering gently in my ear "everything is going to be ok now Sac".

That's when I knew.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3nm48s2d said:
I am traditionally not a big Wisconsin fan, but I ended up getting stuck a couple of their games last year and I was so impressed with Russell.

I think I am guilty of this too. Well the Wisconsin stigma anyway. I know he played most of his career at NC State, but I just see Wisconsin as a factory for offensive linemen, not quarterbacks.. mainly because the school has never really had a QB worth a crap at any level up until Wilson came around.

Though when you watched the Rose Bowl, you could definitely see Russell Wilson was NOT Brooks Bollinger or Scott Tolzien. :lol:

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
He had me at the Chiefs preseason game. Prior to that, I was very much in the camp that if you have a capable veteran and a rookie quarterback on your team, you start the veteran. I was very much afraid of repeating the Rick Mirer fiasco with a shell-shocked QB after only a couple of seasons.

During that game, Wilson showed the elusiveness and smarts to avoid the big hits as well as the ability to move the football. It looked like, at that point, he needed to get OJT, not sit on the bench. The weird part was, I never felt so much like Flynn lost the job as Wilson earned it.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ngqcsa5 said:
SharkHawk":1ngqcsa5 said:
I am traditionally not a big Wisconsin fan, but I ended up getting stuck a couple of their games last year and I was so impressed with Russell.

I think I am guilty of this too. Well the Wisconsin stigma anyway. I know he played most of his career at NC State, but I just see Wisconsin as a factory for offensive linemen, not quarterbacks.. mainly because the school has never really had a QB worth a crap at any level up until Wilson came around.

Though when you watched the Rose Bowl, you could definitely see Russell Wilson was NOT Brooks Bollinger or Scott Tolzien. :lol:

Hey come on now..... Bevell played QB there. ;)

But seriously, that was the one year when they sort of came out of nowhere and went to the Rose Bowl. They had been pretty bad for a lot of years, then Alvarez came around and they started to get good, and with Bevell for the first time they had a QB and he was actually really good in college. I can remember the gripes because BYU didn't go after him, when he really wanted to come here and play, and instead all he does is goes and leads Wisconsin to a Rose Bowl in what was the toughest conference around at the time. It was pretty funny that the coaches wouldn't return his calls when he was openly begging for a scholly. Boy... they sure showed him. ;)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
When I saw his Wisconsin tape, he was just head and shoulders above the rest, to me. Pun intended.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Preseason. Denver game got me excited. KC game put it over the top.

I went back to the NFL.com game center for the Denver game:

Russell Wilson had a lot of fun moments playing with the backups, but we'd be stunned if this "competition" is still going next week. It looks like it's Flynn's job.

I never understood why people didn't take PC at face value on this one. Those putting "competition" in quote marks clearly never bothered to understand who Pete is and where he's coming from. He does not pay lip service, he does not set up bogus, needless situations – such as pretend competitions. I believed it was a legit position battle and that's why RW piqued my interest against Denver, then confirmed it against KC that he would likely be the starter this year.

AZRussWilsonFan

Reaction score
Hello Seahawks fans!

I will start by saying I'm a die-hard Packer fan. The MNF game hurt deep inside. But I'm not here to talk about that.

Obviously I am a huge Russell Wilson fan and root for the Seahawks whenever they aren't playing the Packers. We(Badgers fans) knew he would be a good NFL starter and with a 6-4 record he is proving us right and most everyone else wrong.

Being a big fan I got sick of all the RGIII and Andrew Luck talk and decided to take matters into my own hands. Here is my new music video dedicated to the man himself. Hope you enjoy. Please share with all your Seahawks friends.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_6B5_yRbw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_6B5_yRbw

Packers-Seahawks NFC Championship???????

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
When did Russell Wilson win you over?
When he went to Wisconsin and I heard his story. Was hoping the Hawks would draft him. Now we have the best QB this franchise has ever seen and we get to watch him for 10-15 years and win super bowls.

jack_patera

Reaction score
I like him...I like him A LOT...but 'sold' for me is a big word and I'm not sure if I'm there yet..and the reason being I'd still not 100% convinced he's better than Flynn...now 2-3 yrs from now maybe but as far as TODAY...is he better than Flynn? Maybe...probably...but I just can't say he's better without a shadow of a doubt....but team's certainly 'sold' and we're winning games, so I'm definitely on board....I'm maybe 90% 'sold'....

Greenhell

Reaction score
I first had been hearing about him as a QB prospect in the draft but dropping in the later rounds because of his height. Then I saw the Gruden QB camp and I started watching youtube vids of his games and thereafter that I prayed to the football gods we would be able to draft him and Turbin. I just had a feeling he would be good based on what I saw but had no idea he would turn out to be this good. I joined the RW cult after the Chiefs game. Haven't bought a Hawk jersey in a few years but he's the first one I bought of the "new" jersey. I love that kid!

hawksfan515

Reaction score
He slightly won me over in the first 2 preseason games. It was at that point I was like "maybe this guy could take over game 10 or something". After the KC game I was like "Holy crap he is definitely a starter!!!". Then after the Cardinal game I thought he wasn't ready yet, but he was clutch so he deserved some more time.\

He completely won me over the Pats game. That was an amazing performance, and as long as Wilson does well in the red zone I don't have any problems with him.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3cphsyex said:
Detroit game. He was able to march the team down the field late for the go-ahead TD. I thought that game was won until the defense had an owie. I remain a skeptic since I figure he has more growth that is needed but he has had the team in every game so I respect his game. The players appear to be buying in and that is the most important issue to me.

If he helps the team go 2-1 or 3-0 on the road, just line me up in the back of the wagon with the other late arrivals.

It was the Detroit game for me as well. He played really good football on the road and put the team in a position to win.

Steve2222

Reaction score
KC game did it for me. Just an absolutely flawless performance in the "Dress Rehearsal" preseason game. Plus at the time we didn't know that KC was going to be THAT bad.

12thMan1

Reaction score
The final touchdown pass to Sidney Rice in the game against the Patriots. We now have a QB who doesn't buckle under the pressure.

drdiags

Reaction score
AZRussWilsonFan":29wyihwz said:
[youtube]dq_6B5_yRbw[/youtube]

Packers-Seahawks NFC Championship???????

I am thinking one of our posters, BestFightStory, would love those pants. Nice coordination there. Would love to see the NFC Championship in Lambeau with the Seahawks. The hype leading up to that game would definitely be intense. They could call it the Karma Bowl. Or not. :thirishdrinkers:

redhawk253

Reaction score
first time he played against my noles when he was with nc state.. he lit us up and literally carried his team the whole way.. everytime we faced him. knew he was going to be a good nfl qb.. he just has that it factor thats a combination of leadership, smarts, calm demeanor no matter what situation, and all the physical tools aside from height of course.

j hawk

Reaction score
Right after the draft I saw a 9 minute video of Wilson college highlights. I knew right there John and Pete found their guy. When Flynn was attained Jand P didnt know if Wilson would fall to them in the third round. I heard John wanted to pull the trigger on Wilson in the 2nd rd and was talked off the cliff by others. I know you shouldnt believe in highlight videos but I did. :shock:

JKent82

Reaction score
Predraft seeing the long highlight video got me extremely excited for him, and probably when he won me over in my "koolaid filled" mind. Then we took him and I was pumped as hell but for him in 2013. Then the preseason hit and until KC I was still in Flynn now, Russell future mode. After that game seeing how he looked like the first legitimate QB we've had since Hass, I was ok with starting him. Arizona game made me love his toughness, Cowboys game I saw enough I was fully committed to "I truly believe he can successful in the NFL and don't have many reservations about that". Since then it's been mostly positive!