EPL 2012-2013

Storts

Reaction score
Deliberately avoided this thread for a while, we are not very good

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Storts":rrqd2lj5 said:
Deliberately avoided this thread for a while, we are not very good

I think it's fixable, but right now we are terrible. While we are missing a few key players it is obvious that we have no depth. Dembele, Kaboul, Benny and Parker are much missed. Huddlestone is poor. Livermore is poor. Sigurdsson and Dempsey have been largely disappointing. Gallas is past it. Walker is good, but is being tested. Adebayor is about to serve a ban before heading of to the freaking African Cup of Nations where he will no doubt get injured.
Carroll and Falque look promising and should be given a chance, but we really need a quality creative mid and another good striker ASAP, otherwise we're gunning for 7th.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It's gotta be Redknapp, surely. Benitez isn't someone I'd considered.

In my post on Saturday I mentioned Brown and Dowie but that was only because they seem to have been linked with every job going in the last few years. I'd doubt very much they'd get the job.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It must be nice working for Abramovich. This is the either the ultimate case of "what have you done for me lately?" or "welcome Senor Guardiola". Interesting managerial times in West London either way.

If Guardiola is the new boss it'll be fascinating to see whether he'll be successful without the Barcelona midfield. The Chelsea equivalent is pretty sharp so I'm guessing he could.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Sounds like Benitez on a 6 month deal until Guardiola. Dos cerveza por favor!

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree about Guardiola. The way I understand it the Spanish teams are all under instructions to play a similar style to each other with a focus on the Spanish pressing and passing. I wonder if Barcelona would have enjoyed the same success in the Premier League. Playing midfielders in defense doesn't seem like a tactic that would work in England, as Chelsea are finding out with Luiz.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":cw6bn4p2 said:
Hawkspur":cw6bn4p2 said:
I'm inclined to agree about Guardiola. The way I understand it the Spanish teams are all under instructions to play a similar style to each other with a focus on the Spanish pressing and passing. I wonder if Barcelona would have enjoyed the same success in the Premier League. Playing midfielders in defense doesn't seem like a tactic that would work in England, as Chelsea are finding out with Luiz.

Yeah, pretty much. Not that I mind the Spanish football style, but I don't think it would work in England. Much faster and more physical game. Guardiola would be found out of his depth just like AVB was.

This is very poor business by Chelsea.... as you have both said the team is not set up for success (at the level they expect) and in reality no manager is going to mask the fortune that saw them take the Champs league last year (or conveesely change the misfortune that saw them drop points recently).

Chelsea are flawed, as are Arsenal, City, Spurs (Liverpool if I dare put them in that group) and they failures this season are about players (Torres and Sturridge are your striking options? Whol are your cms?) Than managers.

Rafa may be tapped up to steady the sinking ship, but major repairs are needed.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Benitez to Chelsea? I feel gross. Either he patches a few holes in the ship and they become title contenders in the league and get blank checks for a few players or the repairs are too many and Roman continues to disgrace plastic FC.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Okay, so Chelsea apparently fired Di Matteo so they could accomplish their objectives. So the FA Cup and Champions League apparently weren't their objectives, they've won 3 EPL titles since Abromovich became owner. So that begs the question, what in God's name is their "objectives" then?!

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2iz2f80x said:
Okay, so Chelsea apparently fired Di Matteo so they could accomplish their objectives. So the FA Cup and Champions League apparently weren't their objectives, they've won 3 EPL titles since Abromovich became owner. So that begs the question, what in God's name is their "objectives" then?!

Not get bounced in the group stages of the UCL.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Well Mark Hughes has joined Di Matteo on the unemployment line and Harry Redknapp looks like the odds on favourite to take the vacancy.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
Gatehawk":32bk4tl9 said:

DiMatteo did a great job of turning West Brom around. He laid the foundation in turning us into a perennial Premier League club, and not one that gets relegated every other year. He deserves another shot somewhere else.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3mgz0w21 said:
Think we all saw this coming. Arry will do what he always does. Take the job, get the team playing well, plateau out then leave.

Honestly the only surprising thing is that it Di Matteo was fired first. I feel Hughes' time was up a month ago, and it was a fools game to keep him around until now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":18x2cj2w said:
Please tell me this is a joke that Stuart Downing is linked with Arsenal.

He's perfect for Arsenal... he doesn't score either

(On a side note, none of these "linked" reports are anything more than bs drummed up by media a.d club officials trying to persuade them to talk about thir team)

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1aeowrl4 said:
Gatehawk":1aeowrl4 said:
Please tell me this is a joke that Stuart Downing is linked with Arsenal.

He's perfect for Arsenal... he doesn't score either

(On a side note, none of these "linked" reports are anything more than bs drummed up by media a.d club officials trying to persuade them to talk about thir team)

A scoreless draw and suddenly people think Arsenal can't score again? Funny how you say that and Arsenal has scored more goals than over half the other teams in the Premier League. I'd rather not even hear links to players that are jokes like Downing.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Just heard the sickening news about West Ham fans mocking the Spurs fans who were stabbed in Rome this past week.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Daily Mail has reached a whole new level of stupidity. They now believe if a player isn't on his team's calender, they will be leaving their club.

Latest posts