The Apple Cup

Wiseguy

Reaction score
False Start on hard count? Enjoy that one Coug fans now you know how it feels to be a Steelers fan!

hawk45

Reaction score
With as big a lead as UW had you'd better be able to win no matter what the refs do. This is coming from a UW grad, the Huskies get knocked back to reality of being a so-so team and the Cougs get a well deserved celebration as being the team to do it. That's the point of rivalry games, records mean nothing. Us UWers can't fall back on our better record as we slink back home with tails between legs.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'm a Husky fan and I can't even help but laugh.

Congrats Cougs, deserved win. Hopefully at some point college football in Washington regains some respectability.

As a side note, if this doesn't open up the QB competition next year Sark is even more incompetent than he showed today.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":26zfx0k4 said:
Bitter":26zfx0k4 said:
pinksheets":26zfx0k4 said:
Have a nice drive home, Huskies.

2009814087 display image

PS SUCK IT

And have a nice offseason to the Cougs. Enjoy the extra month off.
And you guys have fun at the General Tsao's Chicken Bowl or whichever game you guys play.

Something tells me you would be happy with a bowl game.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
KitsapHawk":p8rogkzk said:
pinksheets":p8rogkzk said:
Bitter":p8rogkzk said:
pinksheets said:

2009814087 display image

PS SUCK IT

And you guys have fun at the General Tsao's Chicken Bowl or whichever game you guys play.

No, he is too busy telling people to "SUCK IT".

JustTheTip

Reaction score
pinksheets":8hyd6f1j said:
Bitter":8hyd6f1j said:
pinksheets":8hyd6f1j said:

2009814087 display image

PS SUCK IT

A bowl is a bowl. The Cougs obviously played like today was theirs. Would have liked the win today, but the Huskies really only put one quarter together. People can complain about calls or anything else but it comes down to the Cougs playing a full game and the Huskies thinking they could win while only playing one quarter. I hate losing an Apple Cup, but given the choice between losing an Apple Cup and playing in a bowl game or winning the Apple Cup and no bowl game I'll take the loss and a bowl game. Especially considering the lead the Huskies have in total Apple Cup wins.

Spounge84

Reaction score
KitsapHawk":1q1hmdb2 said:

There's only one team in all of college football that would consider a season successful as long they win one game. Seriously Cougs, I'm sure you'll still be celebrating this win a month from now, while we move on to bigger and better things.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":hp2ijpwy said:
Icing your own kicker at the end of regulation.

Unless there was a 2nd timeout I didn't see, he wasn't icing his own kicker. The team wasn't even lined up to snap. They were just running the clock down to the minimum (5 seconds left) before calling a timeout to ensure WSU would have no chance of a comeback in regulation. It was definitely the right thing to do.

I mean, I guess it is technically icing him, since he had to wait an extra 60 seconds from after his warmup kicks to the real thing, but that kind of timeout is very, very routine.

Coons is a mediocre kicker. Has been all season. He's no Erik Folk. Not even close. Not only did he badly miss it, but distance wise if he had made it it would have only cleared the crossbar by about 10 feet... if that. Which is pretty damn scary considering that it was only a 35 yard attempt.

Fuzzman55":hp2ijpwy said:
As a side note, if this doesn't open up the QB competition next year Sark is even more incompetent than he showed today.

At this point, I think he has to. He probably won't though.

In fairness, Price might be a new man with Daniels and Stringfellow next season. Unlike rookies in the NFL, college freshman WRs are known for having an instant impact fairly often. After watching the last two seasons, I think the truth about Price is that he's only as good as his supporting cast.

Fox0r

Reaction score
As a WSU alum, I proudly say, "HUCK THE FUSKIES!" Our record doesn't mean squat as long as we win the Apple Cup. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spounge84

Reaction score
Fox0r":ih3gpezp said:
As a WSU alum, I proudly say, "HUCK THE FUSKIES!" Our record doesn't mean squat as long as we win the Apple Cup. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Which is why the Cougs will always suck.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Wiseguy":38ixm034 said:
False Start on hard count? Enjoy that one Coug fans now you know how it feels to be a Steelers fan!

Really? You are trying to compare this game to Super Bowl XL? Way to show the maturity of your fan base.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Don't get the anger, it was simulating the snap, it was a hell of a head bob, it was a good call. I'll never understand why either side chooses defaming the other after a win or loss. Also don't get why a nine loss season is wiped out because we won one game. I'm shocked the Huskies are taking this so hard, the Cougs played harder and were coached better today, that's how it goes sometimes.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Downplay the Apple Cup all you want, but I'd rather win the Apple Cup than play in one of the lesser bowl games. I certainly find it more satisfying than being declared Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl champions. A bigger bowl game, sure, but not one of the influx of random bowl games that have watered the whole thing down, and I'd be saying that if the Cougs lost the Apple Cup and were heading to the prestigious New Mexico Bowl as well.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seahawk2k":eoyjyjnj said:
I'm shocked the Huskies are taking this so hard,

You are?

The Husky fanbase is all about a completely insane and delusional sense of entitlement. That's, like, their entire identity.

pinksheets

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3hy710wu said:
Don't get the anger, it was simulating the snap, it was a hell of a head bob, it was a good call. I'll never understand why either side chooses defaming the other after a win or loss. Also don't get why a nine loss season is wiped out because we won one game. I'm shocked the Huskies are taking this so hard, the Cougs played harder and were coached better today, that's how it goes sometimes.
That's just the heat of the moment. It doesn't at all. Winning the Apple Cup is just a cherry on top of a turd sundae.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Fox0r":36x7etp7 said:

Thats patheticly sad.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pinksheets":21rftc4t said:
Downplay the Apple Cup all you want, but I'd rather win the Apple Cup than play in one of the lesser bowl games. I certainly find it more satisfying than being declared Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl champions. A bigger bowl game, sure, but not one of the influx of random bowl games that have watered the whole thing down, and I'd be saying that if the Cougs lost the Apple Cup and were heading to the prestigious New Mexico Bowl as well.

Bowl games are better. Huskies lost their bowl game last year..... but it was more exciting than watching the Apple Cup. Yearly rivalry game is cool...but at the begining of every season the goal is "lets make a bowl game", you don't hear a team say "lets win the apple cup". I can see you don't have much to be happy about so you cling to this (I probably would too and pretend it was the most important game ever). Im not a college football fan anymore as its lost its luster the further removed I have become from my years in college....but cheering for a 2 or 3 win season is like Cam Newton doing his superman celebration down 20.

pinksheets

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3nr33pb3 said:
pinksheets":3nr33pb3 said:

Bowl games are better. Huskies lost their bowl game last year..... but it was more exciting than watching the Apple Cup. Yearly rivalry game is cool...but at the begining of every season the goal is "lets make a bowl game", you don't hear a team say "lets win the apple cup". I can see you don't have much to be happy about so you cling to this (I probably would too and pretend it was the most important game ever). Im not a college football fan anymore as its lost its luster the further removed I have become from my years in college....but cheering for a 2 or 3 win season is like Cam Newton doing his superman celebration down 20.
Clearly you're having a very hard time with this. I'm sorry about tonight's game.

I value rivalry games more than winning a Doritos trophy for whatever crap Cooler Ranch Bowl a team ends up in. I'm not saying I don't enjoy bowl games, but they don't carry a lot of weight, because there are just too many random games that have over saturated the market. So, no, it's not about clinging onto anything, it's simply valuing a yearly rivalry game that brings the attention of just about every Washingtonian football fan onto one game more than the Carl's Jr Double Bacon Blaster Bowl. Bowl games are fun, but unless we're talking about the bigger bowl games, that's pretty much all they are.