The Apple Cup

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Guess when you have a losing tradition you have to grasp on to what every little ray of hope you can get.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Man, some of you guys are pathetically sore losers.

I don't see how it's absurd to think some long standing rivalry games carry more weight than the Belk Bowl...but but but it's a bowl!

kearly

Reaction score
I have to agree with Pinksheets. For WSU this win means more than when UW beat Stanford or Oregon State. It's a pretty big deal, even more so since it meant avoiding an 0-9 Pac-12 run this season.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Have to disagree with the bowl bashing. As someone who suffered through UW's bowl drought I know how important they are for a program. You really miss them when you're not going and I'd trade a rivalry loss for a bowl appearance every time. Of course, I want it all - - Apple Cups, Rose Bowls, and more - - so this loss sucks hard. It actually hurts most because it takes away from the positive vibe and prestige the season had going. That's where it really gets me, more so than losing to a rival. Cougs face-smashed us and left us with the same exact type of season we've been having the last couple of years. Average, mediocre, and disappointing.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
pinksheets":1xobquk3 said:
Man, some of you guys are pathetically sore losers.

I don't see how it's absurd to think some long standing rivalry games carry more weight than the Belk Bowl...but but but it's a bowl!

Not a sore loser at all. I think WSU played the game well and UW only put one decent quarter together (and not just the players, the coaches as well.) I think it was a well earned victory by WSU. I think a the win for WSU held a lot more value than it did for UW and that was obvious in the way both teams played. I also fully disagree that a rivalry game is more important than a bowl game. That is like saying beating SF is more important than making the playoffs. If I had to pick one or the other, I would pick the playoffs every time. Saying otherwise comes from an acceptance of losing.

pinksheets

Reaction score
No, it isn't. Getting into the playoffs is a path to being the world champs, getting into the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas is not.

Look, I'm not saying bowl games are worthless or it isn't great to get into any bowl game. Good for UW for having a strong enough season to be bowl eligible, I wish Wazzu could get back to that kind of play. You're telling me if UW went into Autzen and smashed the Ducks at home, that wouldn't be as memorable a part of the season as if the Huskies got to play a post-season game in Vegas against a Mountain West team?

I'm not clinging to the Apple Cup because the Cougars suck, the Apple Cup is a big deal, even if Husky fans like to brush it off to pretend they've got bigger fish to fry. It's the state rivalry game with a pretty damn good history. It's a moment when almost every Washington sports fan is fixated on one event, with friendly and not so friendly rivalries between friends, family, coworkers, etc. If the Huskies don't think so, well, that's probably why they didn't come into this game with as much heart as the Wazzu kids did.

Rivalries, to me, are a bigger part of college football than the litany of randomly sponsored bowl games. I love the big bowl games, and of course I'd be happy to watch the Cougars play in any bowl game, but I like the bragging rights that come from beating the Huskies more than those that come from being the 7th best team in the Pac-12 and beating the 4th best from the Mountain West in beautiful Albuquerque. I'm just saying some rivalry games are bigger than some bowl games, a bowl game is not intrinsically better or more important than all regular season games, nor do I think the Apple Cup is more important than every bowl game.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Man I wanted it all, screw the Cougars, to me there is no reason at all to lose to a team that let the scrubby Colorado Buffaloes come back and beat 'em, rival or not.

Cougars defense came out and punched the Dawgs offense in the mouth and the Dawgs backed the hell down, that was so damn pathetic. I don't care what has to happen to create a new attitude on this UW team, but it needs to happen. There is no way in HELL that they could've backed down that easily to the Cougars. Salute to Wilcox for having his side of the ball under control, Sark on the other hand? I'm wearing thin...

chris98251

Reaction score
Gratz to the Cougs, Huskies looked uninterested if thats poissible, flat at least and there were a lot of flags also, not taking away from the Cougs they fought for the win where the Huskies seemed to thinjk it was just going to be theirs by showing up.

Having said all that, next years cup is going to be much more interesting now. I watch the Cup everyyear because of games like today, weird stuff and unexpected things happen in these games.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
@pinksheets. Bragging rights are useless. What WSU needs is the extra 3 to 4 weeks of practice that comes with a bowl game. The ability to show recruits actual national exposure, no matter how pathetic the bowl. Truth is, teams like Boise State(who continue to get national coverage no matter the conference they are in) have a recruiting advantage over WSU and their mighty PAC 12 connection. The Cougars are not going to change that advantage by beating Washington. Yup, they have to beat a Cali team on their way to the Off Brand Bowl. Or else the Apple Cup will be their bowl game for perpetuity.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pinksheets":1swy1vyg said:
T-Sizzle":1swy1vyg said:
pinksheets":1swy1vyg said:
Downplay the Apple Cup all you want, but I'd rather win the Apple Cup than play in one of the lesser bowl games. I certainly find it more satisfying than being declared Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl champions. A bigger bowl game, sure, but not one of the influx of random bowl games that have watered the whole thing down, and I'd be saying that if the Cougs lost the Apple Cup and were heading to the prestigious New Mexico Bowl as well.

Bowl games are better. Huskies lost their bowl game last year..... but it was more exciting than watching the Apple Cup. Yearly rivalry game is cool...but at the begining of every season the goal is "lets make a bowl game", you don't hear a team say "lets win the apple cup". I can see you don't have much to be happy about so you cling to this (I probably would too and pretend it was the most important game ever). Im not a college football fan anymore as its lost its luster the further removed I have become from my years in college....but cheering for a 2 or 3 win season is like Cam Newton doing his superman celebration down 20.
Clearly you're having a very hard time with this. I'm sorry about tonight's game.

I value rivalry games more than winning a Doritos trophy for whatever crap Cooler Ranch Bowl a team ends up in. I'm not saying I don't enjoy bowl games, but they don't carry a lot of weight, because there are just too many random games that have over saturated the market. So, no, it's not about clinging onto anything, it's simply valuing a yearly rivalry game that brings the attention of just about every Washingtonian football fan onto one game more than the Carl's Jr Double Bacon Blaster Bowl. Bowl games are fun, but unless we're talking about the bigger bowl games, that's pretty much all they are.

As I said before... Im not a fan of college sports anymore. Its a combination of Im 14 years removed from attending UW along with the fact that I don't feel like college teams are on a level playing field.

The primary reason I posted was your ridiculous bragging over an insignificant game. Obviously you didn't understand my Cam Newton example....here is another for you...

The Browns are 2-13 going into the final game of the season. The Seahawks have a playoff wildcard spot secured. They play eachother week 17 and the Browns beat the Seahawks. Browns fans flood .net and pump their chest..... Kinda silly if you me.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pinksheets":1uvhjraf said:
No, it isn't. Getting into the playoffs is a path to being the world champs, getting into the MAACO Bowl Las Vegas is not.

Look, I'm not saying bowl games are worthless or it isn't great to get into any bowl game. Good for UW for having a strong enough season to be bowl eligible, I wish Wazzu could get back to that kind of play. You're telling me if UW went into Autzen and smashed the Ducks at home, that wouldn't be as memorable a part of the season as if the Huskies got to play a post-season game in Vegas against a Mountain West team?

I'm not clinging to the Apple Cup because the Cougars suck, the Apple Cup is a big deal, even if Husky fans like to brush it off to pretend they've got bigger fish to fry. It's the state rivalry game with a pretty damn good history. It's a moment when almost every Washington sports fan is fixated on one event, with friendly and not so friendly rivalries between friends, family, coworkers, etc. If the Huskies don't think so, well, that's probably why they didn't come into this game with as much heart as the Wazzu kids did.

Rivalries, to me, are a bigger part of college football than the litany of randomly sponsored bowl games. I love the big bowl games, and of course I'd be happy to watch the Cougars play in any bowl game, but I like the bragging rights that come from beating the Huskies more than those that come from being the 7th best team in the Pac-12 and beating the 4th best from the Mountain West in beautiful Albuquerque. I'm just saying some rivalry games are bigger than some bowl games, a bowl game is not intrinsically better or more important than all regular season games, nor do I think the Apple Cup is more important than every bowl game.

Bowl games are the goal of each team every year. That is how the success of most programs are judged. You said, "Rivalries, to me, are a bigger part of college football than the litany of randomly sponsored bowl games"....thats great, but that is not what the majority feels. Its not ....good job you won your rivalry game this year....its did you make it to a Bowl game...how many wins will it take to make a bowl game. Im not sure if you live in the Seattle area or not but the talk on local radio this year has always been... "how many wins to make a bowl game".

If the only thing that is of value to you is "Getting into the playoffs is a path to being the world champs" you are watching the wrong sport. Fact is no Washington team will ever win a national championship ever again. We don't have the recruiting base to do so or the history to pull players (nobody cares about the early 90's huskies, and nobody even can think of a time the Coug's were good and who the hell would ever want to go to Pullman). If being world champs is all that is significant....that sucks. Bowls are all their really is. In Bowl games you get a chance to see how you stack up against other ranked or good teams.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
dutchcoug":2y07ej5s said:
T-Sizzle":2y07ej5s said:
As I said before... Im not a fan of college sports anymore.

Then stop posting about it...

I watch individual players.... just because I don't watch teams doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I don't ask you to read my posts or agree with them, but saying "stop posting about it" is rude and imature. Grow up.

jkitsune

Reaction score
pinksheets":1a1q7lqc said:

Nice post. The only reason UW fans blow off the Apple Cup recently is because the Huskies have won it so frequently in recent history, and the years they've lost it hasn't really meant anything. It meant something this year, at least IMO, and it sure reminds me of how badly I hate the Cougars, even compared to the Ducks.

That said, if we beat the Ducks in a given year, it'd be the highlight of the year. Absolutely.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
It isn't just recent history. Overal Apple Cup record 67–32–6 in UW's favor. Longest winning streak in Apple Cup for UW is 8, the most WSU has been able to string together is 2. I would have liked to have seen the Huskies give the game the importance they should give every game. Unfortunately, they did not. But a bowl is more important (no matter which bowl it is for the reasons that Sottemojo listed.)

Scottemojo":1m74p67n said:
@pinksheets. Bragging rights are useless. What WSU needs is the extra 3 to 4 weeks of practice that comes with a bowl game. The ability to show recruits actual national exposure, no matter how pathetic the bowl. Truth is, teams like Boise State(who continue to get national coverage no matter the conference they are in) have a recruiting advantage over WSU and their mighty PAC 12 connection. The Cougars are not going to change that advantage by beating Washington. Yup, they have to beat a Cali team on their way to the Off Brand Bowl. Or else the Apple Cup will be their bowl game for perpetuity.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":10xk882f said:
dutchcoug":10xk882f said:
T-Sizzle":10xk882f said:
As I said before... Im not a fan of college sports anymore.

Then stop posting about it...

I watch individual players.... just because I don't watch teams doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. I don't ask you to read my posts or agree with them, but saying "stop posting about it" is rude and imature. Grow up.

Wow, just wow. Sorry to hurt you feelings, wasn't my intention. Hope the Seahawks can brighten you weekend tomorrow.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I think us Husky fans say "the apple cup is not as important as it is to WSU", in years that we lose it.

Had we won we would not be down playing its importance.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I think the Huskies might just be the Cowboys of the pac 12. On paper these dudes are talented as hell, but they underwhelm, I don't know who to blame over this other than Sark... :\ and I really like Sark.