Biggest Weakness on Offense

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Breno Giacomini - I thought he played well enough last year to be in the mix. However he has proved that wrong this year. They failed with Campbell as the right tackle (he is playing very well though at left guard when he is healthy) and Breno is not a long term fix as a starting offensive lineman. He is getting beaten off the edge too much, does not get enough push on running plays, and he had more penalty yards than ANY OTHER OFFENSIVE PLAYER in the entire NFL.

http://www.footballdb.com/penalties-player.html?tm=28

I really would like to see them address the right tackle position in the offseason, whether it's in the draft or in free agency. However I don't think that we can seriously go into a season where expectations are to compete for a championship with a player with Giacomini's faults protecting the right side of the line.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I agree. Don't know if there's an impact player we can pick up in the draft. Would like to know what FA's would be out there. Still, feels like we're getting ahead of ourselves. This season isn't over yet.

NYCoug

Reaction score
At the very least Giacomini should have to compete for his starting job next season. I honestly hope the team listens to kearly and gives Sweezy a shot at right tackle. With the pieces we have now, a Okung/Carpenter/Unger/Moffitt/Sweezy line would be my "dream team" for the future. Giacomini then becomes solid depth.

Pstark3

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3qjclih8 said:
Easy target because he's just a cheap FA guy.

We don't need a scapegoat.
The holding penalties and getting beat are what makes him an easy target

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Definitely Giacomini. Would like to see us get a good FA and maybe draft Gabe Jackson from Mississippi State for RG in the second round. First Round i want Alec Ogletree or Lotulelei. Leaning more toward Lotulelei just because we are getting no A gap pressure at all when we rush the passer with just 4. If the coaches can develop him he could be a Suh type player for us and we need that desperately.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pstark3":8hlweiay said:
The holding penalties and getting beat are what makes him an easy target

How many holding penalties in last few weeks? Bet you can't answer that.

The right tackle and the offensive coordinator are scapegoats. Plus, it also fits in with this obsession over the offensive line that some fans have.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":h100oodh said:
Plus, it also fits in with this obsession over the offensive line that some fans have.
FWIW, I'd swap O-lines with SF right now... man for man... right across the board if that were an option.

Ours is okay... but there's definitely room for upgrades at every position... some more so than others. In other words, Unger and Okung are the last ones that I would look to upgrade given unlimited draft picks and FA money.

Our current O-line is not what I would consider to be STOUT. They bend too much all too often and they occasionally break down at the most inopportune times.

Carpenter and Giacomini are the current weak links in my opinion.

jkitsune

Reaction score
If you think Carpenter is a weak link, you're only basing your opinion off of the last two weeks (ie, the one game). Carpenter has been a monster in the run game all year, and while his pass protection isn't good, it's certainly not horrible. He, Okung, and Unger have been a big reason why Lynch has had such a good year (though Lynch is obviously a fantastic runner in his own right).

If you want to pick a weak link on the line, I'd say it's McQuistan, but that's almost a given - "the right guard is the worst player on our line" is probably true for most teams. McQ is fine, but relative to others he's not as good.

Our OL got blown up last game. Everyone feels bad about it. But it's easy to forget that prior to last game they'd been doing pretty well, RW and the run game were thriving, and it wasn't perceived as a huge need.

That said, I think Bevell's issues go beyond just calling him a scapegoat. There IS a point where it's possible to call too many runs, particularly on 1st and 2nd down, and it's a definite weakness of the team. There's plenty of creativity in our offense, and particularly at home it seems to click recently. But at some point his entire strategy needs to be re-thought on the road, because other than the Lions game, it hasn't worked.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You have to look at resources invested. Wilson, Tate and our RBs have been great value and are the strengths so far. Flynn is our obvious weakness right now given that he is making 10 mil this season and has not played.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12HawkFan":2bsqa6zs said:
Wrong,

Darrell Bevell :D

What's so frustrating is Bevell called a GREAT game against Minnesota, lots of variety and dynamic plays called. Which makes me think it's not all Bevell's fault, and the blame for these terribly conservative road game plans lie at the feet of Carroll, and not so much Bevell.

The Radish

Reaction score
Perhaps if we're going to start talking next years draft we should be taking those conversations to the draft day forum???

:roll:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bo8cecv said:
12HawkFan":3bo8cecv said:
Wrong,

Darrell Bevell :D

What's so frustrating is Bevell called a GREAT game against Minnesota, lots of variety and dynamic plays called. Which makes me think it's not all Bevell's fault, and the blame for these terribly conservative road game plans lie at the feet of Carroll, and not so much Bevell.

I'd be inclined to believe you if it weren't for Bevell holding the clipboard tracking the ratio of passing plays vs run plays while he calls them in ( to a tune of 27 passes/27 runs).
He's not the first person with the philosophy that a balanced run/pass ratio equals a balanced offense which equals unpredictability. IMO it's a flawed and lazy way of thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he was sometimes late getting calls in early in the season. His playcalling was greatly improved in recent games because he had more time to study the opposing defenses and to include his playmakers in preparation. Chalk this poorly called game to the BYE week and Bevell falling back to his old habits.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I think in terms of personnel it's RT, TE, and big play WR. As far as coaching goes, Bevell's play calling leaves a lot to be desired at certain times. I'm interested to see how our offense will function under play calling of Norv Turner.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
It was gutsy of PC to immediately take the blame for this loss. It was very classy for RW to support his headcoach and diffuse blame. Bottomline is you can't win crucial games with passive playcalling. Everyone looks for an edge this time of year. Contenders are polishing their playbooks, preparing specail plays and thinking playoffs. We've got to do the same.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I would say slot receiver when Baldwin is playing. Not much production from him this year.

I am concerned that he shot his wad during his rookie year and his body just won't let him repeat it.

Hope I am wrong as he is such a likeable player.

Hawkdog

Reaction score
The biggest weakness? Who's coaching these guys? Why does it seem that I am the only one on the verge of parting out mentally, every week, and I see players (seahawks) smiling and laughing after getting slaughtered? I know the checks stil cash win or lose, but some measures need to be instilled so the players can share in the Pain of LOSS>>>>

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkdog":3pp5lur2 said:
Why does it seem that I am the only one on the verge of parting out mentally, every week, and I see players (seahawks) smiling and laughing after getting slaughtered?

Probably because the last time this team got "slaughtered" was 21 games ago.

Latest posts