How I'm viewing this season...

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I know this isn't gonna make anybody feel better about how this season is turning out... Though it could still turn out better than anyone is expecting. We'll all just have to wait and see how it all unfolds. BUT... This is, according to Pete, a 4-year plan. From my seat here, it looks like his plan is right on schedule. Before this season got under way, I was thinking Pete had pretty much most of his players in place, and his plan was to throw them in the fire and gain this crucial season of NFL experience as a unit. I'm pretty sure this was Pete's motivation for going against conventional wisdom and starting a promising rookie over a guy that had earned his opportunity as a starter. We've done better this year than I think most of us were expecting, so of course, everybody goes into Superbowl mode rather than appreciating the huge leaps this team has made from the lame Mora year in '09. Pete has put together a winner. Impressive D and an offense that is gonna be great eventually... I just feel it. We have the draft and free agency coming up after this season to fill the dwindling needs of this team *cough*, receivers,*cough* (though I love Tate and Rice). Even if we miss the playoffs this year, I'm going into next season with some pretty lofty expectations. Wilson, with a year of NFL experience, and one of the NFL's youngest teams maturing and playing like vet's. Enjoy the rest of this season, but really look forward to next season. If they suck next year, then I'll start bitching in earnest and calling for Pete's head! Until then though, I'm just enjoying the ride... And with that..... GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I honestly don't want this FO to go anywhere. I also honestly expected us to compete for the division title this year as well. But SF Offensive line has taken the next step this year. They are the best OL in the NFL. I honestly underestimated how good they would be as a unit this year. I think we will make the playoffs this year. But i think this year's upcoming draft is the most important one. We need to find a difference maker on the defensive line or LB Corps. Hill is old and our DT are getting zero push in the run and the pass. Our offensive line could use some work as well. Especially ROT. I do think Carp is the answer at LOG and i would like to give Moffit more time at ROG although Mcquistan has been decently solid. I do like Unger so do not take this the wrong way. But he does not have the strength to take on Elite DTs in a bull rush situation and has not done a good job at times in picking up or helping the other Olineman. He still has time to get better though and i hope it happens. We are on the verge. Who knows it could come together against the Bears or it we may have to till next season. Still lots of football left. Hopefully no one is giving up on our boys yet.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Agreed. I wasn't expecting playoffs at any point this year.

Of course, my concerns were about the offensive arsenal and not the defense, but hey. ;)

Hawks46

Reaction score
Great post.

Funny, but I stated here (actually debated with Kearly a bit via the boards) that we weren't going to the playoffs with a rookie QB. I also wasn't thrilled with our WR corps. I was also a staunch Flynn supporter, and thought he was more NFL ready than Wilson. It's a measure of respect for Wilson's progress that I'm getting frustrated that we're inching out of the playoff race.

I totally agree with the OP's post about the 4 year plan, and I'm loving our FO. We've been having the best drafts in the league that past 2 years, and punking Mel Kiper and all the pundits while doing it. Our QB is definately shaping up to be a franchise guy. The way we've been drafting, I have total confidence that the FO can find us higher quality talent on the OL, a weapon or two for the offense (all that's really needed), a good 3 Tech DT, and find us another quality OLB. I'd like to see both units start to come together and play well together as a team, and some minor coaching things cleaned up, like penalties, and I think we're pretty good really.

morgulon1

Reaction score
All great posts. I am not freaking out about us possibly not making the playoffs this year, don't get me wrong because I'd love the idea of a playoff run . I'm looking at the big picture and having vivd memories of Jim Mora in my mind. I take a step back and tell my self to have perspective.

Smoke

Reaction score
....how could you all just sit there AND ACCEPT THIS MEDIOCRITY!!!! (I kid, I kid)

This year, and every year, my expectations are to be entertained, and boy, have they been doing that. Save for a few games here and there the Seahawks have been a total bore fest to watch since 2008. This year is making up for every single game that has sucked in the past 4 years.

If we do make the playoffs or do anything this year, I have a feeling that it will happen on the last play of the last game of the season...It's that kind of year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think the WR position has fallen in order of NEED. What the team needs is replacements for Hill and Trufant. It's not that they are bad, they just don't have the speed to do all of what they need to be doing.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
rideaducati":2lk4xs0w said:
I think the WR position has fallen in order of NEED. What the team needs is replacements for Hill and Trufant. It's not that they are bad, they just don't have the speed to do all of what they need to be doing.

Agreed. In addition, our OL could use an infusion of a couple of studs.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
This season has been really entertaining and I agree it sets up nicely for next year. I would love for them to get into the playoffs, even if it means a road game and a loss, just so they can experience the focus and intensity of it...

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's probable we already have Trufant's replacement in either Thurmond or Lane. maybe even Maxwell.

I disagree about the WR's. Sure, we need a better possession guy, but if Baldwin was having a year similar to last year, we would not be complaining. Look at Rice's numbers; they're pretty good for how little we throw the ball. Also, Tate doesn't have the amount of catches, but he's a big play every time he gets it, there's points going to be involved. He also gets in the end zone a lot for how little he touches the ball. Going back to our 3rd guy....Edwards and Baldwin aren't getting it done, but if we had a very good 3rd WR, our Wr corps would be much different.

I still like Miller and I think he's what we need at TE for this offense; Cable requires guys that can block really well. Gronk would be perfect for us, Hernandez wouldn't (which is why Winslow Jr. hit the road).

Our biggest needs are: OL (our guys are good because of the scheme, but they aren't very dominant), OLB, Nickle CB (once again, that guy is probably already on the roster), 3 Tech DT (Jones is ok, but I'd like a guy like Suh or McCoy, who can pass rush and run stuff), and maybe an upgrade at our 2nd or 3rd TE spots....I'm not completely sold on McCoy but he can still progress.