Hasselbeck threw for 20+ TD's 4 times in his career

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Tical21":2ldxwkh2 said:
I just don't get it. We're Matt Hasselbeck haters now? Already like Wilson more? Only in Seattle is this discussion even possible. I'm embarrassed to be a Seahawks fan today.

Sooooo, you just read what you want to read and nothing more? That's about all I'm getting out of this.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2hv5vpmn said:
themunn":2hv5vpmn said:
He's set 2 rookie records and is on pace to break 2 more (though RGIII might do better overall, since he has the luxury of two more games against the Eagles and Cowboys, whereas Russ has to play 3 of the top 6 passing defenses).

He's also on course to set the franchise record for passer rating.

Is it wrong to be optimistic of his future?

Please let me know when breaks the rookie record for wins.

Thank you.

No, there is nothing wrong with being optimistic of his future. However, IMHO, it is wrong to call him a HOFer before the season began.

Your Right Lymon;

It's TOTALLY RW's fault that A) the defense collapsed against AZ, and B) Edwards drops the winning TD. It was also his fault that Turbin, Tate and other dropped critical passes against SF. It was also his fault that he scored "too quickly" against Detroit and the defense fell apart. Ditto for Miami though RW could have won the game and the play calls didn't work. Sure the Rams game was on him, but on that final pick McCoy falls down. Things happen. That's why it's ludicrious to base the success of a QB strictly on wins.

It's a team sport people. The QB doesn't win or lose a game more often than not. It's a whole group effort. His efficiency is enough to win games. The offense needs to get better and the defense DEFINATELY needs to improve for this team to be a Super Bowl contender. In 2005 we had extremely good balance on offense and a bend but don't break defense that made timely stops or turnovers.

I know one thing if RW continues to post 100+ QB ratings we will be winning the majority of our games. QB's playing that well tend to win and win alot. I'm excited for this team and what we have at QB. Last year I was nervious everytime TJack took the field (expecially in the redzone), not knowing what we'd get. This year I'm I have supreme confidence that RW will lead us for the score. It's been a fun ride to watch all the TD passes this year (we haven't seen this kind of production TD's since 2007)

LymonHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2eywhxnt said:
Tical21":2eywhxnt said:
I just don't get it. We're Matt Hasselbeck haters now? Already like Wilson more? Only in Seattle is this discussion even possible. I'm embarrassed to be a Seahawks fan today.

I'm embarrassed that "Matt Hasselbeck haters" is what you took from this discussion.

Hasselbeck is the best QB we've had, and he's the obvious guy you compare to if you want to judge the player you believe is the next franchise QB. So far, the comparisons are positive. That's not hating on Hasselbeck.

Even when you know that Hasselbeck's rookie numbers did nothing in predicting how good or bad he would eventually become?

To try and elevate RW's status, the OP went to belittle the best QB this franchise ever had. The fact Hass' rookie season was less than stellar is no big secret. It's been posted hundreds of times on this board.

So why bring it up again? To show that the year's "Hero" is better than Hasselbeck? Yup, no fair weather fans around here! :roll:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":je6ph70o said:
volsunghawk":je6ph70o said:
Tical21":je6ph70o said:

I'm embarrassed that "Matt Hasselbeck haters" is what you took from this discussion.

Hasselbeck is the best QB we've had, and he's the obvious guy you compare to if you want to judge the player you believe is the next franchise QB. So far, the comparisons are positive. That's not hating on Hasselbeck.

Even when you know that Hasselbeck's rookie numbers did nothing in predicting how good or bad he would eventually become?

To try and elevate RW's status, the OP went to belittle the best QB this franchise ever had. The fact Hass' rookie season was less than stellar is no big secret. It's been posted hundreds of times on this board.

So why bring it up again? To show that the year's "Hero" is better than Hasselbeck? Yup, no fair weather fans around here! :roll:

So your saying if RW exceeds 20 TD's this season that isn't noteworthy? When you factor in the greatest QB this team has had only accomplished that feat 4 seasons out of 14? The whole point of this thread is to put RW's accomplishments into context. That is all, we all love and respect Hasslebeck, he was tremendous. What RW is doing is also tremendous. Should that not be highlighted?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":pp7n3a6c said:
LymonHawk":pp7n3a6c said:
themunn":pp7n3a6c said:
He's set 2 rookie records and is on pace to break 2 more (though RGIII might do better overall, since he has the luxury of two more games against the Eagles and Cowboys, whereas Russ has to play 3 of the top 6 passing defenses).

He's also on course to set the franchise record for passer rating.

Is it wrong to be optimistic of his future?

Please let me know when breaks the rookie record for wins.

Thank you.

No, there is nothing wrong with being optimistic of his future. However, IMHO, it is wrong to call him a HOFer before the season began.

Roethlisburger had 15 wins as a rookie in 2004. I don't see that broken for a long, long time.

Of course, he might have had a couple of good players around him on that team. Tougher to do on a rebuilding team. But he's going to break the Seahawks record for rookie wins, and that's something. It's also something he's proving not to be a liability like most rookie quarterbacks, and is instead one of the strong points of the team.

Some other records he might have a shot at:

Best touchdown pass–interception differential, rookie season: 14 (20–6) Dan Marino, 1983 - he's at 17-8 currently.
Highest completion percentage, rookie, season: 66.44, Ben Roethlisberger, 2004 (196/295) - he's at 63.6% currently.
Highest passer rating, rookie, season: 98.1, Ben Roethlisberger, 2004 - he's at 93.9 currently.
Most Passing Touchdowns, Rookie, Season 26, Peyton Manning, 1998 - he's at 17 currently.

I don't think it's blind sycophancy to laud what he's doing here. He's breaking some pretty impressive rookie records, and looking very good doing it. Wouldn't we rather look back at this season fondly, remembering how much we enjoyed the ride, rather than remembering how we stood strong in our doubt and skepticism, holding out, making him really, really prove himself, before we let ourselves enjoy what he's done?

We're fans, not jury members, folks.

It's not blind sycophancy to call him a HOFer before he's even played a game? Sorry Jase, we'll have to disagree on this one.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Not calling Wilson a HoF'er at all. I'm simply enjoying the great, record-breaking rookie season he's having, and am hoping for more of what I'm seeing. These are the good parts of being a Seahawks fan, and yet we continue being prosecuting lawyers, trying to find that one hole, that one fault, that will justify our previous skepticism.

He's having one of the better rookie campaigns in recent history. I'm simply ensuring that when I look back on this season, I can say, "yea, I remember when he broke that record, and I loved every minute of it!"

I'd rather be rah-rah about the good stuff than nitpick problems I can't even begin to help fix.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
BTW: Y'all realize that Tarvaris had better stats as Seahawk rookie than Hasselbeck did as a Seahawk rookie...and what did that prove?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2ulqav27 said:
Not calling Wilson a HoF'er at all. I'm simply enjoying the great, record-breaking rookie season he's having, and am hoping for more of what I'm seeing. These are the good parts of being a Seahawks fan, and yet we continue being prosecuting lawyers, trying to find that one hole, that one fault, that will justify our previous skepticism.

He's having one of the better rookie campaigns in recent history. I'm simply ensuring that when I look back on this season, I can say, "yea, I remember when he broke that record, and I loved every minute of it!"

I'd rather be rah-rah about the good stuff than nitpick problems I can't even begin to help fix.

Who's nit picking? Cherry picking records isn't nit picking? OK?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3bjsg39g said:
He is going to rewrite every Seahawks passing record. Enjoy the ride.

I hope you're right.. I really do. But he's played 11 freaking games. This is what Lymon is saying. This is what I've been saying for weeks. Feel free to be excited about the guy, I think he's playing well, but statements like this are just premature.

You know who else had a great rookie year? Sam Bradford. Cam Newton. They may still turn it around and have great careers.. but that just goes to show you how quickly things can change.

There's a distinct difference between being excited and between being outlandish and over the top with your statements. You're more of the latter.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Carmon1274":2ci9ybdu said:
SA had 5x of 10TD's+ of rushing. Which his highest was 27TD's in 2005
Lynch has only 1x of 10TD's or more. Which his highest was 12

Don't bring numbers that make sense into a Russell Wilson debate. Believe me. :lol:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3uk2epj0 said:
BTW: Y'all realize that Tarvaris had better stats as Seahawk rookie than Hasselbeck did as a Seahawk rookie...and what did that prove?

When was TJ a rookie in Seattle?

Edit: I see, Seahawks rookie. Even so, didn't TJ have nearly 20 starts before he was signed here, and Hasselbeck was hamburger raw? Wouldn't you compare TJ's starts with the Vikings to Hasselbeck's starts in Seattle for a more fair comparison? By your method, I could say that Warren Moon had a better Seahawks rookie season that Hasselbeck's rookie season.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hasselbeck":134mnc9q said:
T-Sizzle":134mnc9q said:
He is going to rewrite every Seahawks passing record. Enjoy the ride.

I hope you're right.. I really do. But he's played 11 freaking games. This is what Lymon is saying. This is what I've been saying for weeks. Feel free to be excited about the guy, I think he's playing well, but statements like this are just premature.

You know who else had a great rookie year? Sam Bradford. Cam Newton. They may still turn it around and have great careers.. but that just goes to show you how quickly things can change.

There's a distinct difference between being excited and between being outlandish and over the top with your statements. You're more of the latter.

True enough. In fact, I'd not be surprised in the least to see Wilson have a sophomore slump. Both those guys did, at least somewhat. Bradford's second year saw him miss six games, and his numbers were down accordingly. This year, he's on pace to do at least as well as his rookie year, no matter how well the Rams are doing. He has five games to throw four more TDs to match his rookie season there. And the Panthers are doing horrible, Newton's numbers are down, but not as much as one might expect in a sophomore slump. His TD:INT percentage is actually better than last year, and his yards per attempt is up, even if his completion percentage is down a bit. He'll still throw for 3,000 plus yards, which is a decent year in that respect.

Sure, Wilson only has 11 games under his belt, but he's outperformed everyone's expectations, including the guys who were on the bandwagon from day one. The progression he's made since the beginning of the season is pretty impressive. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him rewrite Seahawks quarterback records either. He's not surpassing any Hall of Fame quarterbacks if he does; he's surpassing some solid quarterbacks, some guys who were pretty good. To see him do that only puts him in the same conversation as Hasselbeck, Zorn, and Kreig, which although good, isn't really anointing him as the next Joe Montana.

Enjoy the ride is exactly right.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2t54ou6k said:
volsunghawk":2t54ou6k said:
Tical21":2t54ou6k said:

There's not a thing in the initial post that belittles Hasselbeck. The third post provides more stats and notes that the comparison is to "arguably the best QB in franchise history" in Hass. The first time any friction begins is in your post directly after that one.

If you wanted to find conflict here, it was you that brung it. :141847_bnono:

That said, yeah, T-Sizzle gets a little ridiculous with his proclamations at times... but his thread starter here wasn't one of them.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":27ujmigt said:
LymonHawk":27ujmigt said:

Edit: I see, Seahawks rookie. Even so, didn't TJ have nearly 20 starts before he was signed here, and Hasselbeck was hamburger raw? Wouldn't you compare TJ's starts with the Vikings to Hasselbeck's starts in Seattle for a more fair comparison? By your method, I could say that Warren Moon had a better Seahawks rookie season that Hasselbeck's rookie season.

So now you're gonna nit pick what is a rookie? LOL!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
LymonHawk":6zkhsxp3 said:
Scottemojo":6zkhsxp3 said:
LymonHawk":6zkhsxp3 said:

So now you're gonna nit pick what is a rookie? LOL!

LOL is the best you can do? You are the guy calling a 5 year vet a rookie. Pretty sure I didn't pick any nits there.

Status
Not open for further replies.