I want a new playcaller

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I find it deceptive when you say we PASSED IT 32 times when we actually didn't. Then this thing about rounding up. LOL!

morgulon1

Reaction score
seahawk2k":25vdenx0 said:
For the record, this was the first time all year that the Seahawks stubbornly stuck with the running game and the defense didn't wear down at the end of the game. Unless you watched the All 22 and saw virtually no deep routes called, how can you make the criticism? Why are we always so quick to blame Bevell when Miami just flat out played with more intensity and executed better?

I'm also willing to bet that the insistance on running the football stemmed at least partially from playing in South Florida heat and they wanted to keep the defense fresh.

The defense wasn't very fresh at the end of the game.Ihad to dvr the game Sunday because I was at work and finally got around to watching last night.A lot of little things stuck out to me but the one that I can't get out of my mind is Mr Trufant on
Miami's game winning drive.We had a shitty rookie qb pinned on his own 10 yard line with a little over 1 minute to go ....

Shouldn't be a problem.

Enter #23. Poor guy, I've always been a fan of his. Hell, I even have his jersey. But #15 for the Dolphins ripped him a new one for two huuuuuuge gains and it was game over. I hate to say this but I think Trufant is the weak link.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yep, the game stats still say WE HAD 27 PASSING ATTEMPTS. Total runs including Wilson's were 27. You can count drop backs plays all you want but an option read IS NOT a drop back.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Mitch in the morning had a pretty ridiculous stat but I don't remember it exactly. It was something like an average of 2.1 ypc on first down runs in the Miami game. Take out one 16 yard run we got with a blatant hold, and the average was like 1.5 ypc on first down runs. And Bevell kept calling them. Gonna get ugly on sunday if he makes the same calls.

Sorry about the imperfect memory

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Scottemojo":49r6pjwg said:
Hasselbeck":49r6pjwg said:
If Bevell gets canned, there are going to be some interesting offensive coordinator candidates available.

- Tom Cable (currently on staff, not totally sold on him as a full time OC though)
- Norv Turner (GREAT OC.. awful head coach)
- Andy Reid (would he subject himself to a year of OC though? not sure)
- Ken Whisenhunt (as the Cardinals continue to freefall, his seat gets hotter)
- Rob Chudzinski (If Rivera is canned, the whole staff is likely going with him.. Chudzinski is not a bad coordinator though)

Of these.. the idea of Norv Turner having full control of the offense has me the most excited. Especially with a young QB.

Which of those guys can you see Pete actually wanting? Maybe Chud, but none of the rest, with the obvious exception of Cable.

I can see him wanting any of them provided they help him keep his HC job.

Hiring a Turner or Whiz makes a lot of sense.

justafan

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":26r6vftm said:
Yep, the game stats still say WE HAD 27 PASSING ATTEMPTS. Total runs including Wilson's were 27. You can count drop backs plays all you want but an option read IS NOT a drop back.

You are right.The zone read was called. 1 play may have been a QB draw but the rest were scrambles or sacks which are called pass plays.i never counted those 2 as passes.Just because pass plays break down doesnt mean they weren't pass plays.Should we not count some of the run plays actual run plays because the oline didnt block.If you want to argue about 2 percent and change knock yourself out.If you want to call me dishonest for rounding up enjoy yourself.
How about this.People thought we ran too many plays with Lynch and Turbin.Thats 21 time which is .375% I rounded that up to 40 in an earlier post.I lied on that one also

razgriz737

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3m3y2ohl said:
I don't blame the offense much in this game. The defense allowed long drives to end the game that absolutely killed us.

Leon gave us the lead, then we gave it right back. They went head to head with us and beat our defense down when it mattered. This was not a great offense we yielded 180 plus yards on the ground to.

That is the troubling issue.
Good point. As bad as the offensive play calling may or may not have been, the defense had multiple opportunities to put this game away, and they couldn't do it. It'd make more sense to be concerned with defensive play calling at this point.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
justafan":r4g7x5sr said:
Russ Willstrong":r4g7x5sr said:

You are right.The zone read was called. 1 play may have been a QB draw but the rest were scrambles or sacks which are called pass plays.i never counted those 2 as passes.Just because pass plays break down doesnt mean they weren't pass plays.Should we not count some of the run plays actual run plays because the oline didnt block.If you want to argue about 2 percent and change knock yourself out.If you want to call me dishonest for rounding up enjoy yourself.
How about this.People thought we ran too many plays with Lynch and Turbin.Thats 21 time which is .375% I rounded that up to 40 in an earlier post.I lied on that one also

Calm down dude. Just correcting you that we PASSED 27 times is all. Not going to spend any time debating with you about what is a pass play so spin it how you please if it helps you get over the loss and the regressed playcalling.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
justafan":4jy9me8h said:
They did put the game in Wilsons hands.We had 32 pass plays vs 21 run plays.the run was starting to work better in the 4th Qtr, a 16 yrd run a couple of 5 yrd runs.the last drive they were running the 5 min offense trying to burn up some clock but the game ended up in Wilsons hands.He should have grounded that messed up screen pass and it looked like he bailed out of the pocket early on that last play.There was a pocket.

Grounding the screen pass still puts us in 3rd and long and allows the Dolphins defense to play the pass just like they did. Maybe Wilson could have stayed in the pocket a bit longer, but who knows if it would have made a difference. Bevell went conservative when we still needed a first down to get into field goal range. The running game and screen game had not been working all game, there was NO reason to call those on first and second down when their defense might be playing for those. Let Wilson throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down, and not some little screen pass. Do what had been working the entire second half!

Bevell (or Carroll, or whoever the **** is calling the plays) blew that drive, not Wilson.

justafan

Reaction score
Watch the game again and tell me what you see.If you still have trouble understanding the % of pass plays and run plays called let me know.Math can be kinda tricky sometimes.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
What's disappointing was that we had the talent and the coaching to get us this win. We just took the fins too lightly coming off our bye. We knew they were very good against the run but in retrospect we underestimated them BIG TIME.
Offense came out flat and recovered but couldn't finish the task on the final drive. Defense looked lost and winded late in the game. Conservative playcalling by coaches with the decision to stick with obvious run plays on early downs resulting in obvious passing 3rd downs. I felt our team loss some gusto when PC decided to punt on a 4th-and-1 on their 37 yardline. Our morale never recovered and when we flopped on our final drive setting up the fins for a final drive for the win--the dolphins uncharacteristicly developed a taste for blood and finished the job.
Playoff contenders need an edge to win games on the road. We just don't have that edge yet.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
justafan":36v9s3xd said:
Watch the game again and tell me what you see.If you still have trouble understanding the % of pass plays and run plays called let me know.Math can be kinda tricky sometimes.

You're obviously right dude. We passed it 32 times despite the stats saying we made only 27 passing attempts and like you say let's just round that percentage of pass plays up to 60%. Hell, I'll do you one better and say it's almost 2/3 like you say. Then again, 60% is closer to 100% than 0% so let's just say 100% of plays were passes. Yep, dot math really helped me with my understanding of statistics just as it has for you.
Funny how math is so tricky and subjective right? It's a wonder they even teach it in schools. :sarcasm_off:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":bia5jjb2 said:
Yea it's easy to take the 5 Wilson 'run' plays and assume they were qb scrambles on passing plays--just not the case. Lynch+Turbin's+Rice's carries > 21 runs you stated earlier. And that's nowhere near the 60/40% ratio you seem to think we had.

The 5 Wilson run plays were not all designed runs. Maybe one or 2 were. The others were drop back passes.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":wfba00bd said:
Russ Willstrong":wfba00bd said:
Yea it's easy to take the 5 Wilson 'run' plays and assume they were qb scrambles on passing plays--just not the case. Lynch+Turbin's+Rice's carries > 21 runs you stated earlier. And that's nowhere near the 60/40% ratio you seem to think we had.

The 5 Wilson run plays were not all designed runs. Maybe one or 2 were. The others were drop back passes.

I never said the 5 Wilson runs were all designed runs. I said they can't all be counted as drop back passing plays as justafan implied. There were one or two zone read option plays (one where Wilson nearly got killed two yards behind the line of scrimmage). Several scrambles off passing plays. Bottom line is he NEVER passed 32 times and run merely 21 times as stated by justafan and even if he did pass for 40 I'd been okay. Also there's no need to round up percentages just to support your opinions.

I just suppose there are fans who felt we didn't call enough run plays in this game. You one of them?

justafan

Reaction score
@willstrong I already admitted I made a mistake.I forgot about the zone read and the QB draw.
That puts it at 32 designed pass plays.27 passes 3 scrambles and 2 sacks.24 designed run plays.57.1% vs 42.9% runs.Even though the main argument was about Lynch and Turbin getting to many carries.37.5% of all plays.
Now excuse me while I punch myself in the junk for even discussing this with you.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
justafan":1ireuu81 said:
@willstrong I already admitted I made a mistake.I forgot about the zone read and the QB draw.
That puts it at 32 designed pass plays.27 passes 3 scrambles and 2 sacks.24 designed run plays.57.1% vs 42.9% runs.Even though the main argument was about Lynch and Turbin getting to many carries.37.5% of all plays.
Now excuse me while I punch myself in the junk for even discussing this with you.

No need. We can agree to disagree about Bevell's playcalling. I just felt that 27 attempted passes were not sufficient to get it done-even if we called >30 intended passing plays to get those 27 throws. We stuck with the run plays on early downs for way too long hoping fins would wear down and we were wrong. We knew the fins strengths/weakness and eventually began to exploit the defense with Wilson's accuracy and mobility but couldn't sustain.
Big eye-opener was that even with Wilson having a hot hand he only made 1 more throw than Tannehill. What's also frustrating is that Wilson threw for less than 30 times on a day when our run game nonexistent.
What's going to happen if we get into the playoffs and in a game where Lynch is held in check? I just hope we can make in game adjustments necessary to get to the playoffs.

mikeak

Reaction score
justafan":2n0qvfz7 said:

And those passing plays had 16 completed in a row. How many POSITIVE run plays did we have in a row? I almost want to bet we had more negative run plays in a row...........

Point being we should have started the game airing it out. It was pointed out on this website BEFORE the game as that was the Miami weakness. Once the pass got established the running game could possibly have opened it up.

That is what people don't like about the game plan.......... I recall at least two run, run, pass for first down on the last drive which we had to score on but I think there were 3 or 4.......not sure if someone has the game on the DVR they can confirm if they feel like it

justafan

Reaction score
ESPN has a play by play in the boxscore if you wanted to see.It was 9 plays with 4 of them being runs.They did start one series run run which left a 3rd and 4.I dont have a problem with them running and throwing safe passes on that drive.They were trying to burn up the 5 mins and not give miami any time to do what they did to us.Unfortunately it didnt work.
Some people blame playcalling I just think execution sucked more

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
So back to the "playcaller" part of the OP, who can say they have studied Bevell in his pre-Seahawk days? I have not, but it kind of seemed like his name got some buzz primarily after that one great Brett Favre year in MN. Is that accurate? What was Bevell known for before that season? What's the consensus on the Vikings' offensive success of 2009? How much of it was Bevell's system/playcalling and how much of it was Favre being one of the all-time best improvisors at the QB position?

Largent80

Reaction score
justafan":3t17x6ky said:
You could blame the play call or you could blame Unger for being driven 4 yrds into the backfield before the play even develops,or you could blame Carp for allowing the backside DE running untouched right in front of him to tackle Lynch from behind,same with Breno allowing his guy making backside plays for no gain..untouched,maybe blame Robinson for running right by the LB filling the gap allowing him to make a tackle for no gain.
The dolphins played a tough game but this Oline consistently failed at getting any push at the point of attack rarely getting helmets on the lbs. or backside DEs allowing them to fly around and make plays.
Carp played soft slow and stupid.I don't know if he is still hurt but he can't cut block for s**t,just seems to lean on players and gets caught standing around too often.Breno isn't the answer at RT and RGs weren't much better.I know people don't want to draft Olineman again but this unit needs help.They are not the tough physical oline people make them out to be.The Oline and Oline coach were the root of the problem Sunday not the playcalls.

Part of the problem but not the root. This problem is multi faceted. And the plays called in the last drive were game losers and not game winners. The dolphins said wtf we might as well sling it, they can't stop it. We were doing the same but stopped when it was winning time. I want bevell g o n e.