Hawks D isn't as good as people want to think

bill99350

Reaction score
More like stunk up the 4th qtr! Gave up 17 pts with 9 min to go in game!!!

djb28

Reaction score
What happens to a team built for speed on Turf when they are on grass? What happens to that team in the 4th qtr when the same grass gets soaked ? Sprinklers just pop up for no reason. :stirthepot: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_off:

Twisted

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":bec9xm5v said:
Twisted":bec9xm5v said:
wow, one game? today was bad, well not as bad as you're trying to make it, they lost by 3 points, good grief

good thing you're not a Saints fan, or Browns
Pull your head out of the sand. This defense isn't nearly as good as it was early in the season. We are being gashed regularly on the ground and giving up passes we weren't earlier. Huge cause for concern.

like I said one game, lets see what happens next week, it can take up to 6 weeks for roid withdrawals to subside, surprised they weren't chasing monkeys out there or disrobing to direct traffic... :D

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1857pam4 said:
So we have all come to conclusion that the Seahawks have an average defense then?

Average defenses don't win super bowls.

Packers...Saints...Rams...

redeye81

Reaction score
The defense isn't nearly as good as we hoped .. that is obvious but they are not horrible. They played bad today but i still like the potential..

i hate to do this but what positions are priority for the draft?

I am thinking
1. Interior DT with pass rush ability (resign Branch if cheap). We need to close the pocket and get in QBs face better than we do now.
2. CB to match up with Sherman (don't think we can afford Browner and him)
3. OL to replace our RT or RG. I am also worried about LG but give him at least one more year to get in shape and show he was worth the 1st round pick
4. WR opposite of Rice. i like Tate but he should be the slot guy IMO. I'd like another BIG target to get 1st downs.
5. Better depth at LB. Hill is about done it seems. Need to replace him with young guy at some point.

What else do we need?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well the right at Wagner stuff is bogus. They hit every gap today and the whole front seven sucked. Wags rarely touches a FB. He wishes that were the case, I'm sure. He's got OL almost exclusively. What he was guilty of today at least 3 times was not locating. The Bush run in particular he was just standing there watching Tannehill like he had the ball and left no backside pursuit. Wags should have been there in pursuit. Have no idea what he was thinking. Whole D on that side was guilty as well, but Wagner needs to do better than that. Great day in coverage, but made at least 3 bad reads today in run D that I saw.

But for the record, if you pay attention you'll see that Mebane is getting double teamed on nearly every play. Another interesting thing is that he's out in place of McDonald quite a bit for a breather and some of the biggest runs are when Mebane is out. We also have a bad habit of going nickel in stupid situations and take out bigs up front. Such as when the opposing team is within the 5 yard line......

That killed us against SF and if you watch formations you'll see a lot of big runs on us gash the nickel. The base under D also stunk today though. From what I gathered in listening to most of the Pete conf he talked about guys making wrong reads and referenced Wagner and Chancellor, I THINK (didn't clearly state it), and reference Trufant on that last drive (also didn't clearly state).

EDIT: And on another note I think Red is CLEARLY not the same player with the foot bothering him. Branch was meh, but did stand out on one play that the announcers gave credit to Hill on for an outside run, but Branch (I THINK) was the one who made the RB go wide as he drove the G back.

EDIT AGAIN: I suppose I'll add this too. I hate to say it, but almost every time Smith has come in for Hill I see no drop off. Only a few plays that I've seen and sometimes it seems we get better play. He needed to sit today with that ankle and didn't and couldn't run while limping down the field chasing. We can't have that. Don't get me wrong that Clay kid is a talented pass catching TE that can run and getting caught in man like that with a LB deep usually doesn't end well when you don't have two deep safeties. However, some LBs can run. Smith, Morgan, and Toomer can all run with any TE in the league. I'd like to see one of them step up next year to go along with another 4-5th round backer or so. Also didn't like Hill getting smacked by Bush either even though he still made the tackle. I really can't stand that Bush dude for some reason though.

Actually embarrassed to lose to the Phins today.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Turns out Clay is a FB that plays H-back, in line and slot and such. Reminds me of Reece a bit. Good player.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Thought this was the case with Red. His foot is going to be a problem going forward. Really didn't think we'd start Branch at 5 though.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd probably go with Jones or Scruggs at the 5 myself. Is Howard active if Red isn't? He was brought in to play the 3, but don't know anything about his progress. Some had him as a top 5 DT in the draft and I agreed with them prior to the draft.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I agree with you, I'd go with Scruggs at the DE, and let the other DTs rotate as normal.