Why they can't win on the road (PC pay attention)

TaterHawk

Reaction score
It’s psychology. The staff can fix it..but how good is this staff? Clearly they can coach football, but there is more to it than that. I don’t think the Hawks staff sees the issue. They can correct a kids play all day long, but until they correct how he thinks the issue remains.

The first half of the Miami game they looked like they were at the pro bowl, lots of joking around with the other team..Why? they are young, insecure and immature. I saw it, just the manner they had. You can see the tude and confidence at home. Like a dog off it’s own property they don’t have any bite outside their own back yard. Be it how they coach on the road, or the attitudes of the players for now they are back on their heels on the road. You are what you think. No more and no less. Now this staff has to change the way this team thinks, and that can’t be found on film. Youth wins at home experience wins on the road. We are a shining example.

Dear PC..you can look up a theory called 'acting as if' learn it and teach it, or you can stick with the 4 year plan..perhaps make it 6?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I bet Pete is glued to this thread right now saying "wow, why didn't I think of that?"

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
We haven't won on the road for one simple reason. The defense isn't as good in the 4th quarter on the road, (e.g.: QB pressure/sacks/TO's).

The Hawks had late 4th quarter leads in all of their road games, (with the exception of the Niners). These are situations when the Defense knows the opposing team is passing the ball. This is the situation a defense wants. It should be a sack fest or easy INT's.

Instead, no pressure on the QB's. The defense gave up last minute 80+ yard scoring drives to the Cards, Lions, and Miami to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The D gave up the short drive for the FG win vs the Rams, and almost blew the Panthers game. If the defense simply does its job and keeps them out of the end zone on those late game 80+ yard drives, that's 3 more road wins... and everyone would be talking about a Superbowl run.

Get 4th quarter Qb pressure/sacks or late turnovers on the road... or we will continue to lose road games.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think clock management is key. We keep making drives for 7 or 8 mins. That's when our defense falls asleep. I would rather have the defense in longer and then put together a long drive in the end and finish the game. I feel when our offense started to produce the defense does not feel the pressure and being a young team falters.

The other option stop making conservative calls and keep using lynch if there are 10 people in the box.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
I think they should fly out a day or 2 earlier then they currently are. Flying east and getting used to the time difference takes a few days... why cant they run their practices on the road?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Being able to close out games is a skill that your truly dominant teams have. You have to do this on the road to make the playoffs.If you have the lead with 4 minutes left, you have to get a couple of first downs. If you have the lead and the other team has the ball with 90 yards between them and a touchdown, that should be what Seattle wants. But they have had problems stopping the opposition when it counts. But we do have an excellent DVOA.

I'm encouraged because we haven't been blown out like the Mora era. Weve been in every game and thats progress.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":18hac956 said:
It's because the other teams play way better at home too.

Good point Zebulon, to add to this ,Miami had lost their last 3 games and their backs were against the wall. They showed an urgency to win and our defense didn't. Marcus Trufant was pistol whipped like a red headed step pig.

dunceface

Reaction score
Call me a dirty optimist but I think losses like this are games that stick in a players mind and overall lead to better more urgent play more consistently
Part of the maturing (ma-toooring) process (pro-cesss) if you will

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
dunceface":3um4fndd said:
Call me a dirty optimist but I think losses like this are games that stick in a players mind and overall lead to better more urgent play more consistently
Part of the maturing (ma-toooring) process (pro-cesss) if you will

Well, they've had five (5) of them stuck in the mind already. Much more and they could hemorrhage and have a team stroke. Maybe that's what's happing in the 4th quarter.

hawker84

Reaction score
i keep hearing , we've been in every game on the road, true and it is encouraging, but my problem with the whole road thing is, we've not only been in the game, we've had the lead, late in the 4th, just to loose on a game winning last drive.. the pride of our team, our "D", gets competely manhandled in the running and passing departments... so the question to me is , why can this d shut a team down at home, and not on the road, 12th man? i don't know, don't have the answer... maybe it is just youth and they need more time to gel and mature as a team...

Schadie001

Reaction score
Our D did actually step up early in the 4th Quarter. The only problem was instead of an INT in the endzone which would have in all likelyhood sealed the game, Thomas got hit with a weak call, giving the fins new life on the couple foot line. Their final drive would have made Tebow proud and Trufant was terrible, no doubt they have studied this in the film room and know it's a problem.

This won't be a walk in the park to say the least. But Chicago has a pretty terrible OL and Cutler is made of glass. We look good on paper against the bears now we just have to execute.

MrCarey

Reaction score
My god, I think you have made a breakthrough. I'm calling Pete right now.

hawker84

Reaction score
i agree, obviously home field has an advantage with crowd noise, but it is still the same 11 guys out there on any given play on the road, why do they lose their atheletisim, and speed, and power, technique? 12th man has nothing to do with that. and yes the penalty killed us, but let's face it, our D has been getting pushed around all day long, for weeks now.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
seahawks08":1he80y6p said:
I think clock management is key. We keep making drives for 7 or 8 mins. That's when our defense falls asleep. I would rather have the defense in longer and then put together a long drive in the end and finish the game. I feel when our offense started to produce the defense does not feel the pressure and being a young team falters.

The other option stop making conservative calls and keep using lynch if there are 10 people in the box.
Are you serious? I'm loling, but I'm not sure if you're joking.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
hawker84":16jr04or said:
i agree, obviously home field has an advantage with crowd noise,

It's obvious that more fans should give up their home tickets and travel with the team. :lol:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":y1gqn1eh said:
I bet Pete is glued to this thread right now saying "wow, why didn't I think of that?"

Sure the OP's post isn't exactly Mensa material, but he has a point.

Pete should have gone into the Miami game looking to murder the Dolphins. Instead he went in with another conservative "let's try and run, punt on 4th and 1 from the Dolphins 38 to play the field position game, and put the game on our defense's shoulders" mentality.

To win on the road you have to have a "we're not favored to win, so let's pull out all the stops, go for broke.................. and if we lose, we lose" mentality.

The gameplan should have been to let Russell throw it around, be dynamic on offense and blitz the hell out of Tannehill to force mistakes.