Votes: 15 46.9%
  • LB Manti Te'o. Notre Dame

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • QB Collin Klein. Kansas State

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

SEC FAN

Reaction score
They were the only 3 invited to Manhatten. Who do you like?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Honetly, none of those 3 are Heisman Trophy level players to me.

My vote would have gone to Marquise Lee. Of those 3 I would vote for Klein as I feel he has the most influence on his teams success of those 3. But I expect Manziel to win it. And I think the only reason Te'o is in it is because of his great personal story. I think any other year he wouldnt have even been in consideration.

I think Manziel is fun to watch but my take on him is that if you only watch highlights he's by far the greatest player in college football. But if you watch every snap and every drive, he's not a GREAT qb, although he is a very good one. More flash then substance, imo. I also feel like some of his highlights and some of his yards come at the detriment of his team, not necessarily making his team better.

OP
OP
S

SEC FAN

Reaction score
I chose Te'o. His story reeks of Heisman and college football storybook. Losing his grandmother and girlfriend in a 24 hour period. I can say from experience that it is crushing. The fact he put together a great undefeated season is remarkable. I saw him at the basketball game the other day rushing the court and all I can say is god bless him for being able to move on and enjoy the ride. He deserves it. We need more defensive players winning the Heisman, its a joke frankly that it always goes to a QB or RB. And I don't want to discredit the guy who will probably win it, Johnny "Football" Manziel because as an SEC fan I love the kid, and I give him a good grade against Florida in a loss. Even though he didn't throw a TD, but since it was his first game ever and Florida has the best defense possibly in the country. But he stunk against LSU with 3 interceptions and no TD's. I really do like the kid.

OP
OP
S

SEC FAN

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3v3ezv0w said:
Honetly, none of those 3 are Heisman Trophy level players to me.

My vote would have gone to Marquise Lee. Of those 3 I would vote for Klein as I feel he has the most influence on his teams success of those 3. But I expect Manziel to win it. And I think the only reason Te'o is in it is because of his great personal story. I think any other year he wouldnt have even been in consideration.

I think Manziel is fun to watch but my take on him is that if you only watch highlights he's by far the greatest player in college football. But if you watch every snap and every drive, he's not a GREAT qb, although he is a very good one. More flash then substance, imo. I also feel like some of his highlights and some of his yards come at the detriment of his team, not necessarily making his team better.

You make a great point about Klein. That team sinks or swims with his performance. I guess the same might be said of Manziel too. Its very debatable if the Irish would still be as good without Te'o. I think without Te'o they lose a few games, he did make some plays. But no doubt Klein is the difference between KSU winning the Big 12 rather than Oklahoma or we aren't even discussing him.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":cah3ck60 said:

Don't quite get how "some of his yards come at the detriment of his team".

He gets positive yards when plays break down, how can that hurt?

As to making his team better, he did replace a QB that is in the NFL this year, and the numbers the team put up were huge (partly because of system) in a very tough conference. But if you're knocking the system, then Chip Kelly should never have a Heisman hopeful on his roster.

kearly

Reaction score
Manziel in a landslide. Granted this is a big down year for Heisman finalists, but I've never seen a freshman with the control, leadership, and development that Manziel has. If he can't win it as a freshman in a year like this than I wonder how many decades we'll have to wait before a freshman wins it.

I really don't get why Te'o was nominated. Most defensive Heisman nominees are either historically great defensive college players or bring massive contribution on special teams. Te'o does neither. It's silly that he'd win the award for best offensive player when he's not even the best defensive player in the country.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":3purbql5 said:
Manziel in a landslide. Granted this is a big down year for Heisman finalists, but I've never seen a freshman with the control, leadership, and development that Manziel has. If he can't win it as a freshman in a year like this than I wonder how many decades we'll have to wait before a freshman wins it.

I really don't get why Te'o was nominated. Most defensive Heisman nominees are either historically great defensive college players or bring massive contribution on special teams. Te'o does neither. It's silly that he'd win the award for best offensive player when he's not even the best defensive player in the country.
Technically the Heisman is for best player period, not just on offense. Of course, Woodson is the only guy who played primarily on D who's ever won, and he got it for his kick returns as much as anything else (plus he also played some WR).

I agree that the Heisman buzz for Te'o is a little over the top. He's a terrific talent, etc. But as you said, he's not the best defensive player out there. I don't think he'd get the same buzz if he played somewhere other than ND.

Obviously I'm biased, but I was surprised Marqise Lee didn't get an invite. He's had an incredible year and also has an amazing story (kind of like Michael Oher). He did win the Biletnikoff the other day though, which isn't a bad "consolation" prize.

At this point I'd be shocked if Manziel doesn't win. He seems to have the most buzz.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1zbvp6e9 said:

And yet Kiper is already touting him as the possible number one pick. Like he did with Curry. What a joke, I don't even think the guy is the best linebacker, let alone player.
I am with J on this one, Marquise Lee. Or Tavon Austin.
Frankly, the obsession Heisman voters have with the candidates having to be from the very best teams in the country makes it impossible to pick the best college player. And I don't care one bit about the sentimental part of his story, it does not have anything to do with his being/not being the best player in the country. If that mattered, the the BC linebacker, Herzlich, should have won a Heisman for coming back from cancer.

kearly

Reaction score
If it was an open ballot vote and I could vote for any player in college football, I'm pretty sure I'd still vote for Manziel. Heisman's usually go to QBs, and Manziel had almost 100 more yards per game than runner up Colin Klein, and Manziel did it against a loaded defensive schedule playing in the SEC. As a 6 foot tall freshman. He set the record for yards by an SEC player this year. Not for freshman. For any SEC player in it's history. 4600 total yards. His winning the award was a lot more than just doing the unthinkable by soundly beating Alabama in their house (although that was a huge part of it, no doubt).

After scouting Russell Wilson last year I seriously did not ever think I'd be more pleasantly surprised by a QB. Well, that lasted just one year. I think he's the real deal. I think 15 years from now an average joe fan will look at the 3 finalists for this award and think "oh hey neat it's Johnny Manziel. Who are the other two guys?"

I do think it's a sham that Lee didn't get nominated. Hell, why shouldn't Mariota get nominated given that Klein did?