Could Bevell leave?

chris98251

Reaction score
To their credit and not Bevells alone, Pete Cable and Bevell have designed an offense that adapted to Wilsons attributes, moving him out, read option and changing the blocking up some. Problem we have is when calling plays he gets predictable and seems to lose sight a lot of whats working and or will not change things up to keep a defense honest. The read option will fail as well if you don't counter it with traditional passing once the defense spreads out to contain the edges more and the safeties move up.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3d2lq25c said:
Lumping everyone together like you did here doesn't promote discussion, it says this vague group of fans you have labeled as Seahawk fans need to be as smart as you.

Just call out specific statements from specific posters instead of generalizing. Especially since you are using the "everyone complains about the OC" argument. Lots of OCs get fired every year, so sometimes fans must be right, right?

Actually, I was using the 'a lot of people complain about the OC argument'. But thanks for bringing me back for one more post in this godforsaken thread.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm really NOT being personal with English. I dont like the "I'm smarter than the masses" implications. Not saying that was his intent, but I personally read it that way, and am wrong most of the time. I dont think he's one of the "hey I have broadband, blog and spare time so I know more" people. Those people bug me, because basically my 3yo can say the same thing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Stuje1":2ybha0ab said:
I am a Badger fan that has converted into a big Seahawks fan this season due to DangerRuss. I even cheered them on loudly against my hometeam Bears while at Soldier field this past weekend. Been an exciting season to hop on board as a Seahawks fan!

Anyway, I am writing my first post but have been lurking all season. As you may have saw, Coach Bielema left the Badgers in a surprise move and is headed to Arkansas. The reason it affects the Hawks is that Bevell is one of the leading candidates to replace him at UW. Not sure if both sides will ultimately be interested, but I know there is some mixed feelings about Bevell on here and wanted to mention the interesting possibility that he could leave for the head coaching job at UW....

(btw, I'm looking forward to being a part of net nation!)
Praying to the rumor gawds this is true. Maybe they'll take the ball-less wonder that is Gus Bradley as well. :th2thumbs:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1lurw6kh said:
Stuje1":1lurw6kh said:
I am a Badger fan that has converted into a big Seahawks fan this season due to DangerRuss. I even cheered them on loudly against my hometeam Bears while at Soldier field this past weekend. Been an exciting season to hop on board as a Seahawks fan!

Anyway, I am writing my first post but have been lurking all season. As you may have saw, Coach Bielema left the Badgers in a surprise move and is headed to Arkansas. The reason it affects the Hawks is that Bevell is one of the leading candidates to replace him at UW. Not sure if both sides will ultimately be interested, but I know there is some mixed feelings about Bevell on here and wanted to mention the interesting possibility that he could leave for the head coaching job at UW....

(btw, I'm looking forward to being a part of net nation!)
Praying to the rumor gawds this is true. Maybe they'll take the ball-less wonder that is Gus Bradley as well. :th2thumbs:
And replace him with Monte Kiffin? :grin:

TLD0550

Reaction score
razgriz737":299h0v5n said:
I'm not gonna pretend I'm some expert by any means, but it doesn't give me a whole lotta confidence in our OC when I go into .NET chat on game day and see guys fairly consistently predicting plays.

Maybe that's more of a compliment to our posters here than it is a knock on Bevell.

No way a Pop warner D could consistently predict him

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd love to see him go to Wisconsin.

Then, when the next guy shows up, and doesn't do as well as Bevell, people will freak out, long for Bevell, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth will be utterlly hilarious.

I'd be fairly amused by people forgetting how they wanted to lynch Bevell, and calling how they called it how Bevell was so good and we should've never let him go.

seedhawk

Reaction score
If you can't find it within you to be happy for the guy when someone on our staff either moves on or up, you should wonder, IF NO ONE ELSE WANTS HIM WHY IS HE ON OUR STAFF!

pehawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":1c8908k6 said:
If you can't find it within you to be happy for the guy when someone on our staff either moves on or up, you should wonder, IF NO ONE ELSE WANTS HIM WHY IS HE ON OUR STAFF!

???

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Bevell defender here! And my point shall be short and to the point.

The Seahawks offense is ranked #5 in these Football Outsiders rankings, which I believe is generally well respected here.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff2012

And #2 Weighted. Yeah you heard me. #2 weighted, only behind the Pats.

(Fun fact, we have 3 units in the top 6, with the offense at #5, the special teams at #3, and the defense the lowest ranked at #6 ( :( ) )

Bevell got quite the fair share of blame when the offense sucked. Now, when is he gonna start getting credit?

This help out English? lol

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
IMO Bevell is a good OC whose philosophy fits perfectly with the Badgers but I don't believe he's ever been trained as assistant headcoach. A reunion with the Badgers would be very good but he'd have some early difficulties in the headcoaching role. The ideal candidate for the Badgers is Paul Chryst who left the Badgers last year to become headcoach of Pitt Panthers and now seems committed to that program. Chris Ash is another possibility. IMO, Barry Alvarez will likely hire from within or else call experienced candidates from his line of coaching. Also Alvarez hates controversy so he's not likely to consider Bobby Petrino, Tressel or any other candidate with recent scandals.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Blazenhawks":2ssg5jhf said:
Do you ever wonder why Bevell doesn't call HB screens or WR screens.

Do you have any theories for why he doesn't, other than "he sucks"? Because there are possibilities. Besides, there have been screens lately.

I have to agree some of the trick plays have been awesome but he can be predictable like Run, Run, pass, Punt

He's done this five times in the last two games. And against Chicago, they converted all three times. About 62% of his first downs the last two games have been pass plays.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
If you recall when Alvarez stepped aside from coaching in 2005 he hand-picked Bret Beleima (his defensive coordinator) even as fans and media hoped for more established coaching candidates. The next coach of the Wisconsin Badgers will not only have to share Alvarez's philosophies but must also be comfortable communicating with the AD of Wisconsin who still has much influence on the team.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Why do we need something to complain about when there is really nothing legitimate to complain about except wildly inaccurate conjecture and gut feelings?

We have one of the most efficient offenses in the league at this point. We are not a run, run pass offense as some would say.

We have improved immensely with a rookie QB who was average in his first 5 games. Some of that is play selection and offensive philosophy - which, contrary to popular belief, does not entirely come from Wilson himself.

It isn't Bevell's fault we don't execute some plays well - or the defense plays well against it - sometimes Russell/Marshawn/offensive line just stink.

He doesn't have the benefit of hindsight when he calls the plays.

There is zero evidence we would be better with another playcaller/designer. as well, I would argue, with our recent success, there are few who would be better.

razgriz737

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":18ekelti said:
Why do we need something to complain about when there is really nothing legitimate to complain about except wildly inaccurate conjecture and gut feelings?
Welcome to a sports forum, my friend.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
razgriz737":jlayhjkr said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":jlayhjkr said:
Welcome to a sports forum, my friend.

I stand welcomed.

kearly

Reaction score
I was neutral (at best) on Bevell after 2011.

He's won me over this season. His ability to consistently construct long drives this season is the best we've seen since Mike Holmgren in 2005. I think his playcalling shines the most when Carroll/Cable allow him to call more passing plays.

He's also brought some nice trick plays to this offense (Rice/Tate throwing the football, etc. Those plays have almost always been successful too).

He's also introduced Mike Rob as a surprise 3rd and short back and it's worked very well.

Throughout the season, he's been flexible and changed the offense to adapt for Wilson's needs.

I also feel like it's probably not a coincidence that so many players on offense have developed significantly since Bevell came here. Even the good players he inherited (Rice, etc) have looked very natural in his offense. Which makes plenty of sense in Rice's case given that Bevell's offense is the only NFL offense he's ever played in.

The only time his playcalling leaves something to be desired is when the team goes run-run-pass-punt, or when the team was throwing 4 or 5 backwards lateral bubble screens a game. Those were stupid- but then again, the team realized those things weren't working great and moved on from them.

This is just the 2nd time that Bevell has had a quality QB running his offense, and unsurprisingly both of those offenses were very efficient and won a lot of games.

I would hope that Bevell returns in 2013, but if he goes to Wisconsin I'd wish him well and hope that Seattle could pick up a home run addition at OC.

quadsas

Reaction score
The problem is that Bevell's playcalling has been too passive. Like Phins game. I truly believe Wilson carried him in Bears game, with his play extension and more or less exceptional passing. It's really hard to accurately judge him because of Russ' ability to run. Altho, if he has to run, then maybe plays are designed badly, or to make him run out of pocket.

Latest posts