Where's the fine for Major Wright?

Rainger

Reaction score
ivotuk":p38umgpj said:
Blow to the head on Sidney should be at least 20k
wont happen dont hold your breath. The NFL only fine players on teams that hurt their precious teams or people on the precious teams that they cannot get away with becuase of outrage.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3savoz8s said:
Won't happen. Bears are one of Goodell's protected golden children (Giants, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, etc.).

Oh, I wouldn't count the Steelers amongst those teams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It wasn't a fine-able offense.

Rice made a football move and went to the ground on his own, head first. He wasn't defenseless. It's similar to a RB diving headfirst for a first down, and a guy hitting him in the head with his shoulder pad.

There was no helmet to helmet, Wright led with his shoulder pad and was aiming at the ball until Rice went headfirst into the end zone.

I'm just glad Rice is ok. With that hit, it looks like he's going to stay more durable than the last 2 years, which is good.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
He wasn't a defenseless receiver, so I don't think there is any penalty, as he changed into a runner. Wright was just trying to improbably keep Rice out of the endzone, and almost succeeded.

Seriously guys, if Wright gets fined for that, football really goes down a notch in physicality. Some things won't change, or at least shouldn't change for a while longer.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Oh god, does everyone have to be such a homer around here all the time? Yes it was a brutal hit but on replays you can clearly see Rice lowered his head into Wrights shoulder. He put his body on the line to get into the endzone and got hurt in the process.

Largent80

Reaction score
It was a game winning TD. AND Sid is fine........the fine is to the bears loss column.....hahahahaha

razgriz737

Reaction score
I don't think he will or should be fined, but it does amaze me that he won't get fined for this and Earl Thomas got fined for...whatever that was.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If Wright got fined for that, it would piss me off almost as much as Tate's block against Dallas.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
razgriz737":21k4zjuy said:
I don't think he will or should be fined, but it does amaze me that he won't get fined for this and Earl Thomas got fined for...whatever that was.

Yeah, neither should've been fined IMO. they both weren't trying to hurt, just trying to win the game for the team. Earl should've succeeded too, if it weren't for that bogus penalty. UGh.

Pstark3

Reaction score
You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
ivotuk":1iv7n6xr said:
Blow to the head on Sidney should be at least 20k

if they ever start to fine players for playing the game ( which is what you are looking for ) then the game will forever be ruined.

its already horrible that they fine players who hit Qbs and defensless recievers , but you want running backs and people running the ball to have the same protection?? that is ridiculous and soft.
I hope many people feel the same way I do or my favorite sport will eventually be ruined.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I thought the purpose of the new rules and all the fines was to prevent head injuries. They've been calling it reaally tight this year and I've seen similar hits get fined. I thought the inital fine against Ed Reed was excessive, but if that's what they are doing, they should do a better job of protecting players from blows to the head.

The hit was unneccesary, hr used his elbow and it was too late to prevent the TD. I guess the worst thing about their new approach is that there is no consistency.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Pstark3":297g21fp said:
You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

No, the real answer is, you can't sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he would get fined.

I didn't see a problem with the hit, and I think the only reason we really see a problem with it is because Rice looked to be injured. I was pretty mad at first when I saw Rice flop to the ground, but I still never saw a problem with the hit. I must not have watched close enough or something, but I think it's gotta be pretty blatantly obvious to be fine able.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that hit by Wright. It was bang-bang between Rice crossing the goalline and Wright trying to keep him out. Rice, by going low also changed his target far too quickly for Wright to react. If Wright had been fined for that I'd be pissed. This is football. Good effort by Wright, better play by Rice.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Pstark3":k20si86g said:

We'll never know, but it doesn't really matter. If it did happen to Browner we'd be pissed and we'd be right. It doesn't change just because it was another team's player. He was literally inches from causing a game-saving fumble.

bellingerga

Reaction score
according to the new rules any blow to the head is a penalty and fine-able offense, I don't know what people are so confused about. it was a blow to the head.