Where's the fine for Major Wright?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
bellingerga":2krom4zy said:
according to the new rules any blow to the head is a penalty and fine-able offense, I don't know what people are so confused about. it was a blow to the head.

How about the fact that Sidney lowered his head into Wrights shoulder? :|

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
bellingerga":1n46llxo said:
according to the new rules any blow to the head is a penalty and fine-able offense, I don't know what people are so confused about. it was a blow to the head.

Find me one defensive player who has been fined for hitting a runningback in the head. thats right you cant. because when a player is running with the football he can be tackled anyway possible besides from the horsecollar or facemask.

It was indeed a blow to the head , but a blow to the head that was intiated by Sidney rice himself.

Tical21

Reaction score
Come on!! We've got to be better than this, we've just got to be. We've had a team since 1976, we don't have that excuse anymore! Figure it out already Hawks fans (I know full well that most of you deciphered the rule correctly).

Every time a player puts his head in danger and gets a concussion doesn't mean there is a conspiracy against our players and our team. FIgure it out!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
It's only Tuesday. I am sure he will get fined by the end of the week. The guy lowered his shoulder and targeted the back of Rice's head.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Pstark3":1dbhaohr said:
You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

Pretty sure he blew up Wes Welker in a fairly similar manner and didn't get fined.

sturg78

Reaction score
As stated, Rice went low. It would have been impossible to tackle him in any other manner then he did. I would hate to see Wright fined cause that is the league plainly stating that any big hit, despite how clean, is a potential fine.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":3185ihks said:
Pstark3":3185ihks said:
You cant sit there and tell me that if Browner hit a receiver like that, he wouldnt get fined

Pretty sure he blew up Wes Welker in a fairly similar manner and didn't get fined.

Not even close. That was a clean hit.

I'm pretty sure that the NFL is focusing on blows to the head, but the consistency for penalties and fines is not consistent. Like the BS fine to Earl Thomas described as both a blow to the head and roughing the passer. Then there are the 'Defenseless Receiver" penalties which they called on Ed Reed and which I thought was pretty ticky tack.

But I have seen calls for "blows to the head" no matter what the offensive player was doing. They expect the defender to be able to avoid those kinds of hits. Hence the jokes about ET practicing Matrix moves.

They came up with these new ideas to prevent concussions but they have yet to solidify definitions such as the difference between and inadvertant blow to the head and a purposeful blow to the head. Then there is the inconsistency with protecting the QB where they have called taps to the QBs head when they ducked.

It is my humble opinion that they need to have a stipulation where a blow to the head must appear to be intentional and if it appears that the defender attempted to avoid it or by any reasonable standard was unable to avoid, they should not call it.

I just want consistency. There have been too many ticky tack calls and too many one-sided flag-fests where one team gets the majority of them.

For example, I disagreed with the roughing the passer on Alan Branch, there was no way to avoid making contact and there was nothing malicious about it. On the holding call against Okung, the announcers said Russell got clobbered, I didn't see the whole thing but from the partial replay, it didn't look bad to me. But again, I didn't see the whole thing. Either way, they are getting too flag happy with the roughing the passer calls and getting face-time on TV. Pretty Bogus.

Just my opinion.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Once a WR catches the ball and makes a "football move" he is no longer a "defenseless player" and he is treated as a HB for all intents and purposes, same with a QB who escapes the pocket and gets over the LOS, he is now a HB as far as a "blow to the head" is concerned. That's the way it is. Like it or not...thats how its going to be. As long as a QB is behind the LOS if you breath too hard on his helmet you risk getting flagged, if a WR is still in the process of the catch and you tap him too hard in the shoulder causing his head to come back and hit you, you risk getting flagged. If a WR turns up field with the ball and dives for the EZ while you're diving to try and stop him, well all's fair in that instance.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1bs49z21 said:
Oh god, does everyone have to be such a homer around here all the time? Yes it was a brutal hit but on replays you can clearly see Rice lowered his head into Wrights shoulder. He put his body on the line to get into the endzone and got hurt in the process.

Do you have to call out everyone for being homers all the time?

Latest posts