Browner's suspension starts this week

razgriz737

Reaction score
NEWS from Danny O'Neil:

"#Seahawks signed CB Ron Parker -- formerly with the team -- from #Panthers practice squad and promote Deshawn Shead from its practice squad."

Joey13091

Reaction score
I would rather have both of them sit out now. And be ready for the playoffs.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2ti2aq7i said:
Skelton did us in with those quick release passes. that needs to be defended.

Actually, IIRC we were kicking Skelton's ass in that game. It was Kolb that came in and looked like Joe Montana for half a quarter. Probably would have won if Skelton stayed in...

CANHawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3pc7217c said:
Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.

Nice. If Thurmond is the same guy he was last year then maybe we aren't too bad. People forget that Thurmond was starting over Sherman last year. Dude can play ball.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Maybe this means earl won't have to be deep so often since Thurmond is faster than browner and doesn't need the over the top help as much. Besides, I hope the bears game makes PC realize he needs to keep Sherm lines up on allstar WR all game like Marshall and now Fitz. I'm excited to see Jeremy lane out there.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
The timing of this is great. This creates two facts regarding Sherman/Browner

We will NOT be without both of them During the Playoffs

We will NOT be without both of them At all Next Season

Bonus points for Sherman being around the next couple games to reduce the risk of another "let down".

Jville

Reaction score
Browner's suspension linked to Adderall? Did I hear that correctly?

cdallan

Reaction score
CANHawk":y3c2p9pm said:
Now I suppose Sherman is left to lawyer up and dig in hard to drag his appeal out until after the season ends. Good strategy.

Funny, that's exactly how I was thinkingit should be played. Keep them bothe for the Bears game, then take one suspension now and try to delay one until next season. I think the court which has jurisdiction (wasn't it always Judge Doty in Minnesota or something?) has the power to set aside the suspensions until any case is heard. Just settle the case at the start of neext season. Didn't that starcaps thing get strung along for monts? Mind you, that was under the previous CBA.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.

ErikG803

Reaction score
Unless Sherman/the team is absolutely certain something is gonna give during his appeal process, I almost wish he'd just drop it and start his 4 games now so we could have them both for the playoffs. If we assume Sherman isn't a unique case and his suspension will be upheld after the weekend, and that it then boils down to either having Sherman versus Arizona or having Sherman in a potential playoff game, I'd roll the dice on the second option.

That being said I have full confidence in WTIII. Interested to see what Lane can do, because I don't have a ton of faith in Maxwell as a cover guy and Trufant makes me cringe

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ErikG803":g5j5pmie said:
Unless Sherman/the team is absolutely certain something is gonna give during his appeal process, I almost wish he'd just drop it and start his 4 games now so we could have them both for the playoffs. If we assume Sherman isn't a unique case and his suspension will be upheld after the weekend, and that it then boils down to either having Sherman versus Arizona or having Sherman in a potential playoff game, I'd roll the dice on the second option.

Agreed. I figure his idea is to stagger this thing out as long as possible.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
Not too worried about this - Browner is good but he was overrated last year because he happened to have a lot of interceptions. How many bad penalties did he commit? And off the top of my head I remember him totally botching a play against Washington on a duck that Rex Grossman(!) threw into the end zone towards the end of the game.

I fell off my couch laughing when we played the Rams on MNF and Gruden said he thought he should make the Pro Bowl. I know he made it, but again, it was due to his inflated interception total.

Look at his horrible coverage on that pass that Bennett should have caught on Sunday. I know Sherman botched the play to Marshall at the end of the game, but that was a bad snap decision, not bad coverage.

seahawks08

Reaction score
who knows, the opportunity that presents itself, may be a star will be born whoever gets to play this weekend to replace Brandon Browner. Never know what to expect, but I like the always compete mantra and I guess it has to bear fruit in some fashion. I think having new guys start at home is much better than to start in Toronto.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lxi56nc said:
Am I weird for having confidence in Thurmond and Maxwell? I don't know.. just have a sinking feeling one of these guys will be a LOT better than people anticipate.

I don't know if I'm confident. But I don't see it as an end of the world scenario by any means. I haven't been exactly thrilled with Browner a good portion of this year. He looked pretty silly on multiple occasions in Chicago. Thurmond, Trufant, Maxwell, and Lane are a definite step down. But I think it's not unreasonable to think one or two of them can step up to the challenge and not get embarrassed. Pete's always talked up guys like Maxwell and Lane. Saying they like them as players with potential. If the rest of the defense is able to play well, it's not ridiculous to expect backups to be able to fill in without a terrible drop off.

That's one of the positives of having a good (for the most part) defense. It's a lot easier for young, unproven players to step in and contribute. Like Malcolm Smith in Chicago playing for Leroy Hill. He didn't light the world on fire. But he also wasn't asked to do anything more than fill a role in a unit with other good players.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":37x6zenl said:

It's reasonable to be confident in Thurmond. He has the skills. Health is his main problem. (Hence why you don't have to have a "sinking" feeling. It's a good thing!)

I'm hoping we have another diamond in the rough with Maxwell, but I'm not getting ahead of myself. Still, if we can generate pressure with the front four at home, it'l cover some issues with our secondary.

Also (not directed at the above), I think the reason Browner is out now is that the NFL denied his appeal. That's about the only thing I can think would be the cause of this news.