Browner's suspension starts this week

drdiags

Reaction score
I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

Thurmond is a starting caliber DB. He should be able to hold up his end. It is the next guy, when Sherman's appeal fails that is the question. Seems like it will be Lane because I doubt they move Trufant out to corner if/when he heals up from his hammy. That puts Maxwell in the slot. Good thing they have opened up the offense, I could see the scoring average going up against the defense.

I have no concerns about the regular season, only the playoffs. And if I did, I will keep them to myself.

olyryder

Reaction score
Can Browner practice/workout w/ the team during the suspension? Or is it stay away, we'll see you in a month?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am with the Doc. Press requires a certain athletic fit, but is also simpler coverage in a lot of ways, we will be OK. Now, in the playoffs, when we will most assuredly be facing some really good QBs, then I will be more worried.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
its funny how our defense has been on the decline. i have a gut feeling this is a bigger problem in the locker room

jlwaters1

Reaction score
CANHawk":3hbuz5vi said:
SeahawksFanForever":3hbuz5vi said:
Carroll says Thurmond takes Browner's spot. and Lane inside battling with Maxwell. Lane gets 1st shot inside.

Nice. If Thurmond is the same guy he was last year then maybe we aren't too bad. People forget that Thurmond was starting over Sherman last year. Dude can play ball.

He also locked down Fitzgerald in the CLINK his rookie year playing in place of Trufant who was injured. Can he repeat that performance? Let's hope.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
drdiags":3fz625kc said:
I like Thurmond. His injuries have been frustrating but I have no doubt about his abilities when healthy. He played a great game against the Giants last year as the Slot DB and his rookie year did well when starting for Trufant or ??? against the Cardinals. Sherman can thank ET and fate for getting his chance last year in the Browns game.

Thurmond is a starting caliber DB. He should be able to hold up his end. It is the next guy, when Sherman's appeal fails that is the question. Seems like it will be Lane because I doubt they move Trufant out to corner if/when he heals up from his hammy. That puts Maxwell in the slot. Good thing they have opened up the offense, I could see the scoring average going up against the defense.

I have no concerns about the regular season, only the playoffs. And if I did, I will keep them to myself.

I doubt Maxwell will play slot. I think Lane holds that down and Maxwell bumps out to the edge. he's built more like Sherman and Browner so I think he's more suited to the outside.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Defensive secondary is Pete's forte. It's his biggest area of knowledge and the place he's proven to be most resourceful. I'm sure that all the kids we have lined up behind the starters have amazing potential. T3 was a starter, Maxwell has looked pretty good when we've seen him, Lane seems to have amazing athletic ability and looked really good in pre-season, we know what Roy Lewis can do, Trufant is still a pretty servicable veteran. I think we'll be okay and for the silver lining edition, we might even get another Richard Sherman "where the hell did THAT guy come from" out of this before it's all said and done.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
What CAN said. Pete knows DB's. I recall an interview with him earlier in the year where it basically sounded as if he thought the world of Maxwell and Lane. I know Pete sounds that way about everyone. But think about it. Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. Maxwell and Lane were both 6th round picks. Maxwell and Sherman were drafted in the same draft, and most people initially lumped them together as project cb's. Nobody should be expecting another Sherman. But it's not crazy to think they could end up players for this team. I trust Pete's eye at the position.

djb28

Reaction score
Yeah, But our Defense has had a history of making good receivers look elite! This is a huge loss for us, no matter how you try and stack it!

Jville

Reaction score
jlwaters1":m8kktmfe said:
drdiags":m8kktmfe said:

I doubt Maxwell will play slot. I think Lane holds that down and Maxwell bumps out to the edge. he's built more like Sherman and Browner so I think he's more suited to the outside.

Byron Maxwell has been plagued with chronic hamstring problems since his arrival in Seattle. Sadly, as well as he has played on special teams, he hasn't been able to be available from week to week despite the snap limitation. Until he and the training staff find a way to manage the problem, Byron's future is uncertain.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Not that it means a whole lot now, but Byron Maxwell was the #2 CB recruit when he came out of HS (I think he was like Top 35 overall)

So at one point in time he obviously had some serious skills at that position.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Just remember the collective "oh shit" that Seahawks nation let out when Trufant and Thurmond went down last year. Never know who's going to step in and become the best CB in the NFL....

Vinny6420

Reaction score
Its a tough break but I think it was planned out, I actually had a feeling that Browner did it, but not Sherman, I think Sherman might be able to win his appeal and leave us with both corners for the playoffs

HawksFTW

Reaction score
olyryder":a6vkhlxd said:
Can Browner practice/workout w/ the team during the suspension? Or is it stay away, we'll see you in a month?

He can't have any contact with the team in any way, that is my understanding. Hill got in trouble a few years ago for just showing up at a game, in the stands, when he was suspended.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Vinny6420":35mwndjw said:
Its a tough break but I think it was planned out, I actually had a feeling that Browner did it, but not Sherman, I think Sherman might be able to win his appeal and leave us with both corners for the playoffs

I really doubt that Sherman can talk his way out of this one. Players are not suspended unless there is "drop dead proof" that the substance was found in carefully controlled testing.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":151adt5g said:
Vinny6420":151adt5g said:

I really doubt that Sherman can talk his way out of this one. Players are not suspended unless there is "drop dead proof" that the substance was found in carefully controlled testing.

Maybe his sample got mixed up with Browner's? That's the only possible explanation that's left for Sherman to stand on.
hawksincebirth":151adt5g said:
its funny how our defense has been on the decline. i have a gut feeling this is a bigger problem in the locker room

The more I think about it, I'm thinking I might agree with this. A young, cohesive team that's been fighting hard to achieve greatness for 2 years and now 2 of your best players jeopardize that with 2 4 game suspensions? As a teammate and a member of a team that claims and appears to be so close, how could you not feel disappointed and hurt? This team is built tougher than that though, so even if it is/was a serious matter, I doubt it wouldn't get squashed immediately. Plus, this presents an opportunity for the next man to step up. It's how Sherman/Browner get their jobs, so I'm sure they're a little nervous. Especially if Lane, Maxwell, Snead and Co. are as good as Pete and Co. think.

I also remember hearing someone, a player or a coach, talk about how good a player they thought Ron Parker was. It mighta been Doug Baldwin.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Good because no way in hell Browner was going to win his appeal, that was obvious. Bad, because Sherm needs to do the same and shut his mouth (Unless he is 195% certain he was falsely accused, which after BB and Winston Guy admitted to it is incredibly unlikely) and accept the loss of 4 game checks so our team can be at full strength for the playoffs. Like a few educated posters have said, we aren't playing any teams that have an elite passing game the rest of the year, and plus 3 of the last 4 games are at home which is where our pass rush is by far the best. An elite pass rush can help cover up the loss of two elite corners.

Richard, admit it, please, lose 4 game checks and get back out there for the playoff game and the 12th man will be behind you. You can shut your mouth this time, we all have faith in you. Just admit it and be quiet.... PLEASE.. for the 12th man :34853_doh:

seedhawk

Reaction score
Seems I remember Sherman saying he must have gotten it when he drank from a teammates water bottle? Correct? Only way I see him winning his appeal is if say Browner testifies that yep, he had a PED mixed with his water and Sherm drank from it without knowing it was tainted.