Read option breakdown

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Smart play calling from Seattle that tested the eye discipline of Lovie Smith’s defense and ultimately set up the winning TD pass.

Wait....I thought Bevell sucked and needs to be replaced? I'm so confused now that he's actually being called 'smart' by someone that may actually know what he's talking about.

PGunning101

Reaction score
Press conferences showed that they didn't go so far towards the read option until Wilson grabbed Bevell and said, "hey, do that read option thing."

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
PGunning101":tzxcja7y said:
Press conferences showed that they didn't go so far towards the read option until Wilson grabbed Bevell and said, "hey, do that read option thing."

Bevel wil be gone by the end of the season. 'Maker my words!'

sturg78

Reaction score
I noticed on that and on the Tate TD that Miller has had some key blocks. I know he has a hefty contract and is not putting goddy numbers, between his couple of clutch catches (1 hander TD a few weeks back and the 4th down conversion against Chi) and his down field blocking, I hope we keep him.

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
On the read-option, does Wilson somehow signal the running back that he will either hand the ball to him or keep it? OR, does the RB himself see what Wilson sees and figures it out himself? OR, does the RB just not clutch the ball very tightly initially, allowing Wilson to withdraw it if he chooses? If these seem like simple questions, it's because,..well,..I'm a simpleton.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The cool part is Wilson used it so well. On Sunday he proved me so WRONG.

When he passed out of it I was like "NO" and then it would be a completion for a good gain, one of them was the winning score.

Wilson is just so aware, quick and accurate. For a while there it looked like the Oregon Ducks offense.

zayden185

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1cwh3lfc said:
Smart play calling from Seattle that tested the eye discipline of Lovie Smith’s defense and ultimately set up the winning TD pass.

Wait....I thought Bevell sucked and needs to be replaced? I'm so confused now that he's actually being called 'smart' by someone that may actually know what he's talking about.

Was watching NFL Turning Point on NBC with Dan "The Hair" Patrick...

Wilson said in interview, "I kept telling coaches it was open"

what that tells me is he had to keep pounding to Bevell it was there...and he was too inept to notice.

If not, wouldnt he have said "Darrell was great! He kept calling the read option and I made some good reads!"

hawker84

Reaction score
i don't think anyone thinks bevell is not smart.. but his play calling was and still can be a bit predictable, and the inability he seemed to have in regards to making the necessary adjustments was and is a bit frustrating at times.. he seems to be getting better as the season unwinds, whether that's on him or it's Caroll loosening the reigns, either way it's getting better.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Also illustrates how well our offensive line is doing on the second level. These are plays that require a lot of coordination, plus split-second decision-making for Wilson and Lynch.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Mandu":2py607il said:
On the read-option, does Wilson somehow signal the running back that he will either hand the ball to him or keep it? OR, does the RB himself see what Wilson sees and figures it out himself? OR, does the RB just not clutch the ball very tightly initially, allowing Wilson to withdraw it if he chooses? If these seem like simple questions, it's because,..well,..I'm a simpleton.

The RB assumes he is getting it and tries to take it to from the QB, but the QB needs to either jam it in his gut or be strong with his hands and rip it out of there before the RB is past the mesh point.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":bzc06wd4 said:
As much as I get pi**ed about Bevell, I think he called a pretty good game on Sunday.
I thought he was horrible the first 3 qtrs. Started getting more creative in the 4th and OT tho.

hidn

Reaction score
As much as I normally enjoy your guys' insites, the Bevell thing really bugs me.

Has it occurred to you guys that bevell is trying to be predictable? We are a big physical team with the mentality that we can line up 1 on 1 and beat you. By being predictable, you then also make the defense predictable. When the defense is predictable at the end of the game, its easier to score.

What you guys keep saying is a negative thing (your ability to predict the play) is exactly what he wants. Offensive playcalling, especially at this level is much more complex then you guys keep referring to it as.

If you don't believe me chart his play selection in the new england game.

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3u6zmni3 said:
Mandu":3u6zmni3 said:

The RB assumes he is getting it and tries to take it to from the QB, but the QB needs to either jam it in his gut or be strong with his hands and rip it out of there before the RB is past the mesh point.

Thanks. I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but on one play last Sunday, it appeared to me that Wilson tried to pull the ball back from Lynch, but the Beast kept it. I guess that's going to happen sometimes.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Mandu":11e1x9qy said:
AbsolutNET":11e1x9qy said:
Mandu":11e1x9qy said:

Thanks. I don't know if anyone else noticed it, but on one play last Sunday, it appeared to me that Wilson tried to pull the ball back from Lynch, but the Beast kept it. I guess that's going to happen sometimes.

There was one play, probably the same, where Wilson didn't make his decision in time and Marshawn got hit at the line. If Wilson would have pulled it, he would have ran for a while. When you see that, its usually the QB hesitating.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3m1q8dy5 said:
There was one play, probably the same, where Wilson didn't make his decision in time and Marshawn got hit at the line. If Wilson would have pulled it, he would have ran for a while. When you see that, its usually the QB hesitating.

:th2thumbs: Yep, it was the same play. It was WIDE open to the left I believe.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not a Bevell fan one bit, I just don't think the game plan was nearly as bad as some of the other games. Not even close.

mikeak

Reaction score
hidn":2892ytfp said:
As much as I normally enjoy your guys' insites, the Bevell thing really bugs me.

Has it occurred to you guys that bevell is trying to be predictable? We are a big physical team with the mentality that we can line up 1 on 1 and beat you. By being predictable, you then also make the defense predictable. When the defense is predictable at the end of the game, its easier to score.

What you guys keep saying is a negative thing (your ability to predict the play) is exactly what he wants. Offensive playcalling, especially at this level is much more complex then you guys keep referring to it as.

If you don't believe me chart his play selection in the new england game.

This has worked perfectly. Instead of being unpredicatable for 3 1/2 quarters and pull away with big wins we have made sure that by staying predictable we have a close game in the last couple of minutes and come down to a win or loose drive where we have been unpredictable........ can't believe I didn't understand this tactic before now it makes perfect sense!
:sarcasm_off:

of course Miami and Detroit ended up having the ball last.........

Latest posts