Read option breakdown

JSeahawks

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3sgnb3h1 said:
Mandu":3sgnb3h1 said:
On the read-option, does Wilson somehow signal the running back that he will either hand the ball to him or keep it? OR, does the RB himself see what Wilson sees and figures it out himself? OR, does the RB just not clutch the ball very tightly initially, allowing Wilson to withdraw it if he chooses? If these seem like simple questions, it's because,..well,..I'm a simpleton.

The RB assumes he is getting it and tries to take it to from the QB, but the QB needs to either jam it in his gut or be strong with his hands and rip it out of there before the RB is past the mesh point.

Sometiems hilarity happens:

[youtube]Fn8cWl8qeRk[/youtube]

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Mandu":2jh4szkk said:
On the read-option, does Wilson somehow signal the running back that he will either hand the ball to him or keep it? OR, does the RB himself see what Wilson sees and figures it out himself? OR, does the RB just not clutch the ball very tightly initially, allowing Wilson to withdraw it if he chooses? If these seem like simple questions, it's because,..well,..I'm a simpleton.

The QB controls the ball the entire way. Either he gives it to Lynch or he keeps it. That's why it's kind of risky. You see in college fumbles occuring because the RB thinks the QB will keep in only to let go of the ball and it falls on the ground.

Infact on the winning OT drive there appeared to be some confusion where Lynch takes the ball and it appears that Wilson wanted to keep it. Good thing there wasn't a fumble on that play.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Bevell is just a puppet (RW doesn't need him anyway, apparently) - kind of like Peyton Manning's OC - just there because he has to be.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
So now when the offense does well its not because of the offensive coordinator, its because Russell Wilson is so great that he's telling Bevell what to do? Who put in the read option in the first place? Oh, that's right, the offensive coordinator.

The lengths some of you guys go to in order to stick to your narrative, in this case, that Bevell sucks, is hilarious.

The predictability, my guess, is largely coming from Pete Carroll. If you look at the scheme, the overall scheme that Bevell runs, its pretty aggressive, layered and ahead of what a lot of teams are doing. Those playcalls against the Dolphins were logical conservative plays dictated by a conservative coach not wanting to leave the Dolphins any time if the Seahawks were to score.

The packaged plays, read options, bubble screens, personnel groupings, multiple formations, is all, in my opinion, creative and for me, enjoyable to watch. Do I agree with every play call? No. But I've been reading this board for 12 years now, and the majority of this board has crucified the playcaller each and every season. Knapp, Bates, Bevell, Holmgren, all were chastised as "predictable". So, when you critcize Bevell, remember, that you all were criticizing Holmgren, widely considered by people in the NFL as one of the greatest offensive minds and best playcallers in NFL history.

Now you may all commence in labeling me a "Bevell apologist" so we can fit this thread into the normative behavior around here.

mikeak

Reaction score
seahawk2k -- there is a direct quote from RW that I posted the day after the game that stated something along the lines of the following (don't have the direct quote right here)

I kept telling the coaches that the read option was wide open and they agreed with me.

I am not saying the coaches weren't involved but you read that and tell me that RW didn't lobby for the team to move in that direction during the game........

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mikeak":2vavoafn said:
seahawk2k -- there is a direct quote from RW that I posted the day after the game that stated something along the lines of the following (don't have the direct quote right here)

I kept telling the coaches that the read option was wide open and they agreed with me.

I am not saying the coaches weren't involved but you read that and tell me that RW didn't lobby for the team to move in that direction during the game........

You mean that players give coaches input on what they are seeing out on the field? Mind boggling.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1tyn9dyx said:
Smart play calling from Seattle that tested the eye discipline of Lovie Smith’s defense and ultimately set up the winning TD pass.

Wait....I thought Bevell sucked and needs to be replaced? I'm so confused now that he's actually being called 'smart' by someone that may actually know what he's talking about.

Not sure if Bevell deserves all the credit for the read option working so well vs the Bears. Wilson mentioned in post game interviews that this was something he saw in the defense, and told the coaches about. Which really makes Wilson that much more impressive, and not so much Bevell.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3smk27m2 said:
mikeak":3smk27m2 said:

You mean that players give coaches input on what they are seeing out on the field? Mind boggling.

How many players do you really think DURING the game tell the coaches what plays to call? I think besides the qb's none.... I think WR's will tell a qb if htey feel they can beat a guy inside / outside etc but I don't think they tell the coaches much DURING the game.

The way the quote was it was clear RW saw it and pushed for it to get to keep playing it then they went with the pass on the TD as a change-up

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
mikeak":8g30tw9k said:
Tech Worlds":8g30tw9k said:
mikeak":8g30tw9k said:

How many players do you really think DURING the game tell the coaches what plays to call? I think besides the qb's none.... I think WR's will tell a qb if htey feel they can beat a guy inside / outside etc but I don't think they tell the coaches much DURING the game.

The way the quote was it was clear RW saw it and pushed for it to get to keep playing it then they went with the pass on the TD as a change-up

INCORRECT

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HawksFTW":2bzmzg0y said:
AbsolutNET":2bzmzg0y said:
There was one play, probably the same, where Wilson didn't make his decision in time and Marshawn got hit at the line. If Wilson would have pulled it, he would have ran for a while. When you see that, its usually the QB hesitating.

:th2thumbs: Yep, it was the same play. It was WIDE open to the left I believe.

Actually Russ didn't make a mistake on that play. Fieldgulls broke the OT down, and they noted that on this play Wilson looked very frustrated for a second, and this was because (as it apt to happen on the option) Lynch pulled the ball away from Wilson. Wilson then managed to pull together the even keeled demeanor though, and looked to the sideline for the next play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pretty soon, Bevell will be unpredictable too much, which will then become predictable. Teams will get tape of our unpredictacality (I think I made a word !), and we will get buried in the playoffs. Everyone will start to expect the unexpected, leading Bevell to get predictable again, which would then be a surprise and be unpredictable !

Predictably, Bevell won't make any of the fans happy, and we be fired.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawks46":3164tkex said:
Pretty soon, Bevell will be unpredictable too much, which will then become predictable. Teams will get tape of our unpredictacality (I think I made a word !), and we will get buried in the playoffs. Everyone will start to expect the unexpected, leading Bevell to get predictable again, which would then be a surprise and be unpredictable !

Predictably, Bevell won't make any of the fans happy, and we be fired.
1000x500px-LL-90374be9_mind_blown.gif

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1hyuvuin said:
HawksFTW":1hyuvuin said:
AbsolutNET":1hyuvuin said:
There was one play, probably the same, where Wilson didn't make his decision in time and Marshawn got hit at the line. If Wilson would have pulled it, he would have ran for a while. When you see that, its usually the QB hesitating.

:th2thumbs: Yep, it was the same play. It was WIDE open to the left I believe.

Actually Russ didn't make a mistake on that play. Fieldgulls broke the OT down, and they noted that on this play Wilson looked very frustrated for a second, and this was because (as it apt to happen on the option) Lynch pulled the ball away from Wilson. Wilson then managed to pull together the even keeled demeanor though, and looked to the sideline for the next play.

That means the QB didnt make a decision or made the wrong read. Its up to the QB to give the RB the ball and get his hands off the ball, or rip it out of his gut. The QB either gives it, or takes it - the RB doesnt make the decision. But, I guess if Wilson looked frustrated for a second, that's what counts.