Frankly...the way the Seahawks O-line has been lately

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1jg7p3g9 said:
Scottemojo":1jg7p3g9 said:
hawksfan515":1jg7p3g9 said:
Wilson the best player on the Hawks? woah that is a little too high of praise....
Nope. It is accurate. Best/most important. He is both.

Better than Sherman?

I have a hard time arguing Russell Wilson is the 3rd best rookie QB with some people (not Hawk fans though). But the best player on a pretty talented Seahawk team??? Uhhhhh..... that's pretty cool.... but I don't really think so..... Maybe most important I guess.
Yeah, better than Sherman. And don't get me wrong, I really like Sherman. Our QB is quietly one of the two or three best QBs in the entire league since week 5.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1rxs10k1 said:
Yeah, better than Sherman. And don't get me wrong, I really like Sherman. Our QB is quietly one of the two or three best QBs in the entire league since week 5.

But isn't Sherman the best CB in the league?

And man that is very high praise for Wilson..... Makes me get butterflies lol..... :D :D :D :D :D

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Best player available. We are at the point we can do it. OL is pretty far down my need list. I'd look to D first. I'd like a DT that cold play every down and get some serious pressure up the middle. If we had Jones, Irvin , Clemons and a new beast DT ..look out

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Happypuppy":12esys7t said:
Best player available. We are at the point we can do it. OL is pretty far down my need list. I'd look to D first. I'd like a DT that cold play every down and get some serious pressure up the middle. If we had Jones, Irvin , Clemons and a new beast DT ..look out

Point is there really aren't any that i see that can dominate a game like a Suh, Ngata, Atkins. I just don't see it here. Before you want to bash taking an olineman due to continuity? Look at how much continuity we have had? Pretty much none. Only ones who have played at their position the entire season are Okung, Unger, Giacomini. I think everyone here can say we definitely would be near the bottom in pass protection if it wasn't for Russell's ability to run. Flynn back there? Pretty sure he would have been hurt already. I wish Carpenter could get consistent and stay in the lineup because i think he could become very good on the left side. But maybe we should draft an OG in the first round and RT in the 3rd. I am thinking HIll's replacement in the second round. Right now though i think everyone can say Giacomini has been better lately but he is definitely the weakpoint. Neither Moffit nor Carpenter seem to want to put a lock on who is going to be our LG. Although Carpenter's recent injury could give Moffit a leg up. We can sit here all day everyday and try to predict what this FO should draft and is going to draft. But recently they have proven their prospect ranking boards go beyond conventional wisdom. But i don't care because i know what ever they pick will improve t he team in one form or another. I will say this 3/5 of the 49ers Oline that flat out demolished our Dline has 3 first round picks on it. Can't wait to see the rest of the season unfold. Go Hawks.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":2uofpzc0 said:
Happypuppy":2uofpzc0 said:

Point is there really aren't any that i see that can dominate a game like a Suh, Ngata, Atkins. I just don't see it here. Before you want to bash taking an olineman due to continuity? Look at how much continuity we have had? Pretty much none. Only ones who have played at their position the entire season are Okung, Unger, Giacomini. I think everyone here can say we definitely would be near the bottom in pass protection if it wasn't for Russell's ability to run. Flynn back there? Pretty sure he would have been hurt already. I wish Carpenter could get consistent and stay in the lineup because i think he could become very good on the left side. But maybe we should draft an OG in the first round and RT in the 3rd. I am thinking HIll's replacement in the second round. Right now though i think everyone can say Giacomini has been better lately but he is definitely the weakpoint. Neither Moffit nor Carpenter seem to want to put a lock on who is going to be our LG. Although Carpenter's recent injury could give Moffit a leg up. We can sit here all day everyday and try to predict what this FO should draft and is going to draft. But recently they have proven their prospect ranking boards go beyond conventional wisdom. But i don't care because i know what ever they pick will improve t he team in one form or another. I will say this 3/5 of the 49ers Oline that flat out demolished our Dline has 3 first round picks on it. Can't wait to see the rest of the season unfold. Go Hawks.
Yup need continuity, who cares if it's with other teams cast offs. Continuity is all they need, we'll never have to draft an o lineman again.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":676cegi7 said:
Yep let's comprise a line entirely of first and 2nd rounders. Not like we have other needs or anything.
Funny, I don't recall at all specifying first or second rounders. That you choose to assume that just shows you the old axiom is true. When you assume, you make an ass.... well at least out of yourself. You're on fire tonight bro.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":6dgdgxdb said:
hawksfan515":6dgdgxdb said:
Yep let's comprise a line entirely of first and 2nd rounders. Not like we have other needs or anything.
Funny, I don't recall at all specifying first or second rounders. That you choose to assume that just shows you the old axiom is true. When you assume, you make an ass.... well at least out of yourself. You're on fire tonight bro.

The early draft should go to stud RT and another guard.

What did you mean by the early draft then?

I didn't mean to come off overly rude, just a little sarcastic. Anyways in general the early draft is 1-2, middle rounds 3-4, and late rounds 5-7. Lines are a little fuzzy but that's how I see it.

Don't overreact too much now though. Quite honestly, this was not a great question. Cohesion is very important in D-line play, and we already have guys who could develop into good players. They just need more time.

kearly

Reaction score
The Russell Wilson of right now is several magnitudes higher in value than even Richard Sherman. Without Wilson, our line looks worse, our WRs look worse, our RBs look worse (play action / read option), we convert fewer 3rd downs, we score fewer points, and we lose more games. Wilson isn't just a great player, he's a great enabler.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2g7tj3vx said:
Jazzhawk":2g7tj3vx said:
hawksfan515":2g7tj3vx said:

The early draft should go to stud RT and another guard.

What did you mean by the early draft then?

I didn't mean to come off overly rude, just a little sarcastic. Anyways in general the early draft is 1-2, middle rounds 3-4, and late rounds 5-7. Lines are a little fuzzy but that's how I see it.

Don't overreact too much now though. Quite honestly, this was not a great question. Cohesion is very important in D-line play, and we already have guys who could develop into good players. They just need more time.

I'm with 515 here. You say "early draft" and people are going to think you mean first and second rounds.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I don't care what round we draft them in, I just want a good line for Russell Wilson. Keeping him upright is an investment in the future.

justafan

Reaction score
I always love seeing them draft lineman on either side.If you look at our skill positions on offense, they have improved across the board from last year other than baldwin.There is no reason we should be scoring only 20 points a game, exactly what we did last year with TJ at the helm.Our Ol is the weak link on O.Wilson Miller and Lynch make them look better than they are.
Wilson needs a pocket and these guys arent getting it done.
I know we spent draft picks Ol but draft position doesnt matter if they don't get the job done.Just because Curry was the 4th pick doesnt mean you quit trying to draft better LBs
Continuity does matter but look at the Bears they were plugging in 3 interior guys and we still couldnt get much pressure.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":o4aokvkr said:
I don't care what round we draft them in, I just want a good line for Russell Wilson. Keeping him upright is an investment in the future.

Good guard play is essential too me i gotta say. Interior pressure is a short QB's worst enemy, as they really can't see then, plus it makes scrambling harder.

If Chance Warmack/Jonathan Cooper are available, i wouldn't say no, because they would probably be BPA. But if we target guard as a need in the 1st, that is a mistake. I'll take a stud guard if he's BPA.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I think it would be a hard toss up for me if there was no stand out DT 3 Tech and we were looking at warmack/cooper at out pick. I know it would be great to add a few weapons and I know Oline is about working together and knowing the guy next to you. I really want a great right guard to keep the interior cleaner for RW and make the job of Unger easier in the run game and the job of Breno easier in the passing game.

If it is me I think I take the Warmack/Cooper pick and start looking for weapons and specialized DT in the next two rounds.

I know we have spent a lot of capital but if we can absolutely control the TOP with the run game and points, well Petes D will look like the best ever.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":1sncqhy9 said:
Happypuppy":1sncqhy9 said:

No we don't need more Guards. We're already plum full of them as it is. Carpenter, Moffitt, McQuistan, and Newly called up Rishaw Johnson, should provide us enough talent at Guard. I wouldn't be surprised to see Carpenter take the LG spot next year and Moffitt/Sweezy claim the RG spot.

I would love to see the coaches experiment with Sweezy to see if he could play RT. He's more athletic than Breno and has a nasty side like Breno. Since he's new the OL he'd be a clean slate for Cable to work his magic. It's clear to me there is more depth at Guard than at Tackle, and if Sweezy could play Tackle than our OL should be good to go for years to come.

I agree with someone above who said, Best player available. Our depth is good enough we won't have any glaring holes so I'd hope they take the best on their board. A 3 down 3 Technique DT, or a big playmaking WR, or a TE would be my 3 player of choice for the first round. Any of the 3 would be fantastic.. I like Branch but he's no threat to get push inside. I'm interested to see how much Howard and SCruggs develop next year.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2vg3hhyx said:
Picking Guards high in drafts is not a good habit to get into.
Ya, 'cause it worked so badly for the 49ers. Whatever. I just want a better O-line. Is that so bad. What a bunch of putzes.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":hdylglvk said:
What a bunch of putzes.

You started a thread with a strong opinion on a specific unit in the team. You've got to be prepared for people to disagree with you.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well, as another noted, we a ranked 6 as an O-line for run blocking. Not too damn shabby, and 18 for pass. I support the theory that RW does not need a dominant top 5 ranked pass blocking line to be effective.

How many times this year has anyone seen RW just get creamed in the pocket? 2? 4? Just basically has not happened. With our teams offensive philosophy, our line is working pretty damn well for what we want to do, and how we want to do it.

We just might actually be to the point that in the first round we just go BPA.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
seedhawk":1y9zfo6r said:
Well, as another noted, we a ranked 6 as an O-line for run blocking. Not too damn shabby, and 18 for pass. I support the theory that RW does not need a dominant top 5 ranked pass blocking line to be effective.

How many times this year has anyone seen RW just get creamed in the pocket? 2? 4? Just basically has not happened. With our teams offensive philosophy, our line is working pretty damn well for what we want to do, and how we want to do it.

We just might actually be to the point that in the first round we just go BPA.

Yup. I wouldn't be averse to taking an o-lineman if he was BPA, though. However, I do think interior pass rush and top-notch pass catchers should be the priority.

Jville

Reaction score
Here is a link to a recent Tom Cable interview >>>> http://icestream.bonnint.net/seattle/ki ... 949553.mp3 alternate >>> http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... 1014&n=Bob and Groz Show

In it, Cable sounds rather pleased with the progress of his offensive line. And he sounds rather confident in the future of his existing personel. Unless there is someone who clearly falls into their lap in some round of the 2013 draft, I don't see them making an offensive linemen a priority.

Free agent projects and a JR Sweezy type find seem more probable to me. I think they are ahead of schedule with their personal on the offensive line ...... with both talent and contracts.

P.S. Just a reminder ....... Zone blocking linemen are not required to physically dominate or manhandle an opponent to be successful and grade out well. Goals are different than those for other schemes.