Frankly...the way the Seahawks O-line has been lately

hawksfan515

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":bx9k1kat said:
Picking Guards high in drafts is not a good habit to get into.

All I'm saying is that if Chance Warmack/ Jonathan Cooper make it to our pick, I'm not saying no, cause that pick would definitely be BPA.

But if we do not have a 1st round need at guard. I agree with that.

justafan

Reaction score
I don't know who does these rankings but I really don't have faith in them.DVOA or line ranking are meaningless when Miami is ragdolling the oline or Wilson is scrambling before a play develops.
Wilson does make plays that allow the Oline to make mistakes but having a QB running outside the pocket for first downs is just not a a sustainable offensive game plan IMO.Games will still be won or lost inside the pocket and thats where this offense struggles.Many times there isnt a pocket and sometimes Wilson doesn't step up into it.
The Chicago game was an amazing performance but he was within inches of being knocked out of the game on that play he slid on.Sooner or later legal and illegal hits on him are going to take their toll.It only takes one to wreck a season.
Wilson is fast but so are most of the headhunters that will be chasing him down trying to take him out of the game.

Jville

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks have done a nice job of explaining why they have a QB run outside the pocket when they can catch the defense fudging and putting 8 men in the box with no spy on the runner.

It certainly made sence to me.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Hawkspur":32ba1fbc said:
seedhawk":32ba1fbc said:
Well, as another noted, we a ranked 6 as an O-line for run blocking. Not too damn shabby, and 18 for pass. I support the theory that RW does not need a dominant top 5 ranked pass blocking line to be effective.

How many times this year has anyone seen RW just get creamed in the pocket? 2? 4? Just basically has not happened. With our teams offensive philosophy, our line is working pretty damn well for what we want to do, and how we want to do it.

We just might actually be to the point that in the first round we just go BPA.

Yup. I wouldn't be averse to taking an o-lineman if he was BPA, though. However, I do think interior pass rush and top-notch pass catchers should be the priority.

So tell me this? How do you think the Oline would grade out in Pass Protection if we didn't have a running QB? I guarantee you we would be towards the bottom of the league. And for the people that say Drafting OG in the first round is a bad habit to get into well i guess we really screwed up drafting Hutchinson. Now do i think other guards could be found in round two or 3 yeah i do. But how often do you see guys like Warmack or Cooper around? I am hoping we can get something like a Cooper in Rnd 1 and Arthur Brown or Greene in the Second. See how it goes. But i think week 1 and in multiple other games has proven our C/G havent done well on interior pass pro at all. They are going to have their hands full with Dockett again this week.

Jville

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":lppstef1 said:
Hawkspur":lppstef1 said:
seedhawk":lppstef1 said:
Well, as another noted, we a ranked 6 as an O-line for run blocking. Not too damn shabby, and 18 for pass. I support the theory that RW does not need a dominant top 5 ranked pass blocking line to be effective.

How many times this year has anyone seen RW just get creamed in the pocket? 2? 4? Just basically has not happened. With our teams offensive philosophy, our line is working pretty damn well for what we want to do, and how we want to do it.

We just might actually be to the point that in the first round we just go BPA.

Yup. I wouldn't be averse to taking an o-lineman if he was BPA, though. However, I do think interior pass rush and top-notch pass catchers should be the priority.

So tell me this? How do you think the Oline would grade out in Pass Protection if we didn't have a running QB? I guarantee you we would be towards the bottom of the league. And for the people that say Drafting OG in the first round is a bad habit to get into well i guess we really screwed up drafting Hutchinson. Now do i think other guards could be found in round two or 3 yeah i do. But how often do you see guys like Warmack or Cooper around? I am hoping we can get something like a Cooper in Rnd 1 and Arthur Brown or Greene in the Second. See how it goes. But i think week 1 and in multiple other games has proven our C/G havent done well on interior pass pro at all. They are going to have their hands full with Dockett again this week.

So ...... I guess this means your also blowing off Tom Cable and his assessment of the state of the offensive line. :229031_shrug:

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Jville":3kcumu2t said:
So ...... I guess this means your also blowing off Tom Cable and his assessment of the state of the offensive line. :229031_shrug:

Well, to be fair, what would you have Cable say? "My guys suck and should all be replaced...which also reflects poorly on me, not sure why I'm still employed..."?

And for the record, I have no dog in this fight, just enjoying the show.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":239tvaf3 said:
So tell me this? How do you think the Oline would grade out in Pass Protection if we didn't have a running QB?

That's a moot point. The fact is that we do have a great running QB. He doesn't get sacked a whole lot and makes big plays out of the pocket. He's also been good at avoiding big hits so far when he has scrambled. We also have a great running back who is helped out by a very good run blocking line.

Look, I won't be disappointed if we draft o-line in round one or two. There is certainly room for pass protection to improve. That may happen if you give these relatively inexperienced guys (Carpenter, Moffitt, Giacomini, Sweezy) time together, or it may not. I'm sure Cable, Bevell and Carroll will upgrade if they don't think these guys will cut it.

Watching the last 6 weeks or so, though, it has been our own inability to rush the passer and our proclivity to allow drive extending passes into the second level, as well as linebackers being blocked off up the middle on run plays, that have been the most infuriating elements of the Seahawks games to watch, personally.

So strengthening the D-line or pass rush would be my own preferences. With Wilson's passing abilities a pass catcher who can create separation and make plays would also be beneficial. But, if a beast o-lineman falls to us, then sure: welcome aboard.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3doimtxf said:
*Groan*

Ask any offensive lineman what the key is to creating a great line. They'll tell you it's time on the field together. I asked one a few weeks ago who was in the Super Bowl last year. The single most important thing for a line to work is familiarity, working as a group, growing together and acting as one. If you keep swapping players in and out every season, you're never going to get that. You draft a rookie and put him at RT and he struggles a bit in year one, what then? Draft another? It's the easiest position to say every year - 'draft another lineman'. The offensive line is not the biggest issue here. It's not even the second biggest issue. Time to spend high picks on other areas of the team.

So what you're saying is, if we can ever manage to keep most of our line from missing 3-8 games every single year, we might see a quality O-line?