Latest 2013 mock featuring two rounds...

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Latest 2013 mock featuring two rounds...
Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:33 pm
  • Image

    For the people who give a crap...

    LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/updated-mo ... h-december

    Markus Wheaton and DeAndre Hopkins are both listed in round one this week. Why? Because they’re both worthy of round one grades. Simple. While a lot of people want to concentrate on Keenan Allen (not included in the first two rounds here) and Justin Hunter (second round projection) I think Wheaton and Hopkins are the two players most likely to succeed from this receiver class. The only receiver who goes higher is Brandon Coleman. He has a much higher ceiling, but he’s likely to need a redshirt year in the NFL to max out his potential. Coleman has much more upside, but isn’t quite as polished in only his second year of college football.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8331
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • I dig this stuff, English. Thank you.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12255
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Thanks for doing these!

    I'd be a little surprised if the Hawks took a LB in round 1 that wasn't a "dynamic/playmaker" type but I don't think we could too wrong taking a guy like Arthur Brown. He sounds like a very well rounded, physical player.

    Comparing Comparing Arthur Brown & Alec Ogletree

    Danny Kelly tweeted that article a bit ago, and it gave a nice breakdown of the two LBs.

    Anyways I found it interesting that Arthur Brown was considered an extremely good block shedder, something both KJ and Wagner do well. It might give the defense more freedom to go small and fast upfront at times.

    How good is he in coverage? I feel that good coverage is critical for a WLB needs if we are gonna spend a first round pick on one. That or great pass rush ability. Maybe I just like thinking about Alec Ogletree too much. Anyways the point I'm trying to get at is Arthur Brown more run orientated or is plenty good at other things? Do you think his speed size match what Pete and John are looking for? Could Malcolm Smith or a another 4th round find like KJ Wright do the trick if you're not getting a dynamic linebacker in the first?

    It is nice though, at each position we have a "hole" or question mark there is a pile of players that might be able to get the job done.
    User avatar
    JKent82
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3013
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm


  • Arthur Brown is the younger brother of the Eagles rookie RB Bryce Brown. Football outsiders has been raving about Brown in recent weeks and when I've watched him I quickly understood why Chris Polk got buried on that roster. Brown is a terrific athlete. So if nothing else, Arthur Brown has the bloodline factor working in his favor.

    Aurthur Brown is a MLB though. From reading that article it seems he really clicked after moving from outside linebacker to inside linebacker. I'd be fine with drafting him though and moving Wagner to WLB. Wagner is outstanding in man coverage and is growing as a blitzer. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that Wagner's skillset is equally if not more suited for the weakside.

    That said, from what little I've seen of Brown he's not looked very impressive to me. He looks skinny, he misses a lot of tackles, and just doesn't pop off the screen. I need to see more, but my first impression on him wasn't good. Might be a case of a guy being over-rated because of the team he plays for and the family he belongs to (and the prospect rating he had out of high school).
    Last edited by kearly on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11566
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Thank you for the time and effort you put into this. You are an English-Badass !!
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3664
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • kearly wrote:Arthur Brown is the younger brother of the Eagles rookie RB Bryce Brown. Football outsiders has been raving about Brown in recent weeks and when I've watched him I quickly understood why Chris Polk got buried on that roster. Brown is a terrific athlete. So if nothing else, Arthur Brown has the bloodline factor working in his favor.

    Aurthur Brown is a MLB though. From reading that article it seems he really clicked after moving from outside linebacker to inside linebacker. I'd be fine with drafting him though and moving Wagner to WLB. Wagner is outstanding in man coverage and is growing as a blitzer. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that Wagner's skillset is equally if not more suited for the weakside.

    That said, from what little I've seen of Brown he's not looked very impressive to me. He looks skinny, he misses a lot of tackles, and just doesn't pop off the screen. I need to see more, but my first impression on him wasn't good. Might be a case of a guy being over-rated because of the team he plays for and the family he belongs to (and the prospect
    rating he had out of high school).


    Just one correction, Arthur is the older brother. He went to Miami they transferred back to KStae. The Browns are from Kansas, and at one time Bryce(went to Tenn) was very close to being a Duck. It's curious how Kstate was able to get away with recruiting the Browns and Chris Harper back to Kansas, after Snyder took over again.
    Last edited by CPHawk on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • For what it's worth, I'd play Brown at the WILL not inside.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8331
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • I think the 2 are very interesting prospects.

    On 1 hand you've got Brown whose undersized but is very consistent. Probably very pro-ready and will come in and start for whomever drafts him.
    On the other hand you've got Ogletree whose learning the position, who has more length and size to him and is extremely athletic.

    Just looking at their size, Ogletree seems more what PC favors in Lbers- Namely length and athleticism. But would he want to deal with someone who is still learning the position and his consistency would be challenged.

    Then again you look at Malcolm Smith who is listed @ 6-0, 226. Yet he's been a solid pickup in the 7th round. Can he be our WILL of the future. Could possibly Korey Toomer 6-2,234 (more of the build of Ogletree) be that guy with a year under his belt in the system next year.

    Who would you guys prefer. I don't really like the idea of taking Brown if that means moving Wagner to the outside, I think they you weaken both positions as the growing pains will be amplified. Brown has the size of Lavonte David, whose doing very well in Tampa Bay. So who knows.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2478
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm


  • We need playmakers..... not LBers.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2636
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • T-Sizzle wrote:We need playmakers..... not LBers.



    Might be worth arguing which 'playmaker' we should take as an alternative and why exactly this linebacker in particular isn't worth the pick. Anyone can say, "we should do this in the draft" without actually looking at the players that are out there.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8331
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • T-Sizzle wrote:We need playmakers..... not LBers.


    Arthur Brown is a playmaker, just on defense.

    That said I wouldn't mind an offensive weapon in the first for Wilson. I like Rice and Tate but behind them it's pretty bare.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5686
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:We need playmakers..... not LBers.


    Arthur Brown is a playmaker, just on defense.

    That said I wouldn't mind an offensive weapon in the first for Wilson. I like Rice and Tate but behind them it's pretty bare.


    You don't draft depth in the 1st round Hasselbeck. We can wait for the second to make an investment in a 3rd WR/potential to be a #2 or #1 guy.

    I'd like more pass rush. That is something you can never have enough of, and we clearly still don't have enough as this season has shown.

    Probably from the DT position, but I'm not gonna say no to a stud DE PC and JS can fit in the defense.
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5236
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • hawksfan515 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:We need playmakers..... not LBers.


    Arthur Brown is a playmaker, just on defense.

    That said I wouldn't mind an offensive weapon in the first for Wilson. I like Rice and Tate but behind them it's pretty bare.


    You don't draft depth in the 1st round Hasselbeck. We can wait for the second to make an investment in a 3rd WR/potential to be a #2 or #1 guy.


    Teams draft depth in the first round all the time. Especially good teams drafting in the late first who are loaded with talent (where hopefully we are). Good teams don't ignore the value of a good player because he's not a Day 1 starter.

    As long as they fit a role on this team that we are lacking, and do so pretty well, I could care less if it's a big role or not and I don't think the front office will care either, ex. Bruce Irvin.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2219
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


  • Te'o in #3? He's not MLB
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 pm


  • Carmon1274 wrote:Te'o in #3? He's not MLB


    He's not MLB?
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8331
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • hawksfan515 wrote:You don't draft depth in the 1st round Hasselbeck. We can wait for the second to make an investment in a 3rd WR/potential to be a #2 or #1 guy.


    We did this year.

    And I'm sure a WR would see the field. In all honesty though the guy we select, no one will probably expect.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5686
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:You don't draft depth in the 1st round Hasselbeck. We can wait for the second to make an investment in a 3rd WR/potential to be a #2 or #1 guy.


    We did this year.

    And I'm sure a WR would see the field. In all honesty though the guy we select, no one will probably expect.



    you know what, you actually got me there. My bad Hasselbeck. You are right about Irvin, he is being groomed to be a LEO, but for now he is just situational.

    I guess my point was:

    1. Rice/Tate/Baldwin are a good receiving corps for me (their TD numbers are amazing).

    2. I just don't see many guys who would eventually start over them in the draft. They do their job's well......
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5236
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • Receiver is a crucial need. Let's say Sidney Rice gets injured today... it's not like he hasn't had injury issues in his career. Suddenly you're pretty much relying on Golden Tate and Baldwin. If you want to run a 3WR set, you're putting Jermaine Kearse on the field. We have to make life as easy as possible for Wilson, and that means having good depth at WR.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8331
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • Not that I give a toot about McShay but if I read it right he had Barkley out of the first completely. I always thought he was the second coming of Clausen.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9365
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Not that I give a toot about McShay but if I read it right he had Barkley out of the first completely. I always thought he was the second coming of Clausen.


    If you're talking about height, hair colour and the fact both grew up in California... they're pretty similar.

    Apart from that... nothing alike at all.

    McShay had Barkley as the #1 player on his board coming into the year. Up and down like a yo-yo.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8331
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • Barkley has the arm strength of Leinart, though not the laziness and need to be in the party spotlight. He can be a on again off again starter for 10-12 years, with a up side of being similar to Hass, if he gets in the right system with a great QB coach.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Not that I give a toot about McShay but if I read it right he had Barkley out of the first completely. I always thought he was the second coming of Clausen.


    If you're talking about height, hair colour and the fact both grew up in California... they're pretty similar.

    Apart from that... nothing alike at all.

    McShay had Barkley as the #1 player on his board coming into the year. Up and down like a yo-yo.


    Barkley's performance or McShay's analysis? Both shoes fit.

    Shcrager at Fox now has three QB's in the first. None named Barkley. Now, even I think that's going to far.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9365
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything




It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online