Running up the score against the Niners.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
What with all the ESPN critisism against the Seahawks for supposedly running up the score against AZ in CenturyLink, an important issue in this nationally televised matchup against the Niners will be: When do we take our foot off the gas? Is it when we are up by three touchdowns at the end of the first quarter? Is there some blowout threshold we must not transgress in order to avoid ESPN critisism? What happens if we host a playoff game or two in CenturyLink? Must we maintain the blowout threshold to avoid ESPN critisism?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Meh. Two of the three on ESPN that were talking about it defended us on that point. It was mostly just Herm Edwards being stupid.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Never let off the gas against the 9ers, beat them down all 4 quarters

kidhawk

Reaction score
It is my belief that no team should ever "let off the gas". When you are up by enough, you put in your backups and let them play, but you don't stop playing. Now, I'm not a proponent of getting receivers killed with passes across the middle where you leave your receivers defenseless, but you still play the game. If they can't stop your backups, that's the losing team's problem, not the winning team

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
CANHawk":2fcsmo7t said:
I want to make Harbaugh say "what's your deal".
I'd rather just see him so livid and red-faced that he can't speak at all...

edited for grammar. Sigh.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
At no point in time do you let up on SF. Get up early and then keep amputating limbs until they're left a headless, armless, legless corpse of a football team. And then dance in the pool of blood.

bellingerga

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1i07n8yd said:
Meh. Two of the three on ESPN that were talking about it defended us on that point. It was mostly just Herm Edwards being stupid.

Mostly just Herm Edwards being Herm Edwards in other words.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
bellingerga":2p337wlw said:
MidwestHawker":2p337wlw said:

Mostly just Herm Edwards being Herm Edwards in other words.

Exactly. I was using lazy shorthand.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
kidhawk":150r0bva said:
It is my belief that no team should ever "let off the gas". When you are up by enough, you put in your backups and let them play, but you don't stop playing. Now, I'm not a proponent of getting receivers killed with passes across the middle where you leave your receivers defenseless, but you still play the game. If they can't stop your backups, that's the losing team's problem, not the winning team

Yup.

I really don't get the indignation about running up the score. In school, sure, call the game off at half time or whatever, but in the pros, no way. People pay a lot of money for the privilege of watching football and if a team is too pathetic to put on a show then the other team should be obliged to pick up the slack and chuck in the backups with the goal being to try to break as many records as possible. See if you can hit 100 points or pass for 700 yards or something. If a team puts in as bad a performance as the Cardinals did they should feel guilty about making people pay a stackload of money to watch them and be forced to take whatever humiliation is dished out to them. The paying public shouldn't expect to watch teams effectively take a knee for the second half just because one team sucks.

With the salary cap and draft etc there is absolutely no excuse for getting annihilated asides from somebody (or bodies) being way out of their depth.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I have fantasies about beating the Whiners by like, five scores. Seriously. I want to do it so badly, I hate their fan base. Compare the Niners "fans" that come to this forum during rivalry week, as compared to the Patriots fans we got earlier this year. Talk about night and day.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No way is this game gonna' be a blowout, would love it of course. I'm thinking 16-13, something like that. Hawks of course

rideaducati

Reaction score
SeaChase":hj6s31eb said:
Never let off the gas against the 9ers, beat them down all 4 quarters

Then when you've scored the 7th touchdown, go for two.

rastahawk

Reaction score
The only time we take our foot off the gas against the Niners is when we hit the brakes to backup over their carcass again.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
My ultimate dream scenario for the 23rd (which happens to be Harbaugh's birthday) is him saying "what's your deal to PC"

49fansince70

Reaction score
It's interesting from a pyschological viewpoint why fans of team 'A' hate fans of team 'B'. The level of hatred is clearly proportional to the rivalry, so we'll see things like Seahawk fans saying Patriot fans are cool, while Ravens and Jets fans don't think very highly of their rivals to the north.

It's just another facet of tribalism, which we see in politics, sports, or that creation vs. evolution stuff. We all belong to different sets of tribes, and political parties attempt to align their 'beliefs' with those of the most populous tribes (I presume by polling and learning from election results).

So while I don't understand why you guys would prefer to be fans of a team like the Seahawks when you could be fans of the 49ers, the greatest team of all time with the greatest fans ever, I would never hold it against you, especially if I ever run for office.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NorCal":1av4ynir said:
This thread is funny
Agreed. If the Hawks won this game by 4, it would feel like we ran up the score to me. We are not good enough to be talking about blowing out the Niners.

Some dudes are still high on the 58-0 smoke.

Latest posts