THE Derek Stephens agrees with English about Hawks weakness,

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
aawolf":1bmdz6x7 said:
Move Sweezy back to DT....I'm kind of serious. Look at his college film, that guy is a beast up the middle.

have faith in pete and john, they moved Sweezy to OG cause he is an OG and will boss it up there on his way to a billion pro bowls and the HOF.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":24nntaz7 said:
Size is the prerequisite to Bryant's role. An orthodox 3-4 five technique wouldn't be able to do that job. It's why Alan Branch was going to move over to DE is Red didn't make the Chicago trip. The 4-3 under put the one over the center and tries to force 1v1 match-ups for the three and the LEO. It leaves the five to essentially hold two blockers - maybe three if they keep a tight end blocking. If you run this system without Bryant's size, you're going to get gashed against the run every single time. They're not even trying to make that Bryant position a pass rushing role. They just need him to hold up against the run to try and max out the pressure on the other side. And that's the issue. We're not getting anything like enough penetration from the three.

I like Calais Campbell, but if you take 30-40lbs out of that DE position, this defense will not work. Which is why Red's the highest paid player on the defense right now.

Great post, but if it's not working, why stick with that philosophy? Actually, it is working, it's just that I think Pete's plan of getting pressure with one pass rusher and a trio of 320 pounders seems pretty delusional to me. You put Geno Atkins in that 3 tech spot then sure, I think it could work. But you'd need an ELITE talent to carry a pass rush with a DT.

Honestly, maybe Seattle should at least dangle some trade scenarios in front of the Bengals this offseason. My offseason plan last year had us swinging a deal for Atkins. It would cost a fortune to deal for him now, maybe more than getting Suh, but I think it could still be worth it.

I'd be interested in a Randy Starks experiment too. He's basically a better version of Alan Branch.

The funny thing is, even with Seattle's massive defensive line, they've never had a truly great run defense through a whole season. I'd much rather see the team revert to a typical 4-3 or even a 3-4 than continue with the current philosophy, which could fly over a cliff in the near future when Clemons finally loses a step.

Also, have we really been using Mebane as a zero technique as your post implies when you say "over the center"? I hadn't noticed that.

kearly

Reaction score
I love how earlier in the year everyone wanted to have Jason Jones' children, and now they don't want him back. He's basically been the same exact performer all year. I think the appropriate reaction is somewhere inbetween the extremes. He's a good player, he's just not the answer- but very, very, very few DTs in this league would be that answer.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":224y5tjl said:
I love how earlier in the year everyone wanted to have Jason Jones' children, and now they don't want him back. He's basically been the same exact performer all year. I think the appropriate reaction is somewhere inbetween the extremes. He's a good player, he's just not the answer- but very, very, very few DTs in this league would be that answer.

My issue with him is his knee seems to be chronic. Which explains the one year deal.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1nsm5hdg said:
aawolf":1nsm5hdg said:
Move Sweezy back to DT....I'm kind of serious. Look at his college film, that guy is a beast up the middle.

have faith in pete and john, they moved Sweezy to OG cause he is an OG and will boss it up there on his way to a billion pro bowls and the HOF.
heheh yup yup