Why the Seahawks should sign Tebow when the Jets cut him

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Reading this article below, talking about Tebow probably being traded/released by the Jets, got me thinking down the strange path that Tebow could actually be useful as a Seahawk.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ng-its-end

First, does anyone think other NFL teams will *trade* for Tebow or claim him in a way where they have to pay his full salary? Or will Tebow just be released, clear waivers, and then sign an NFL-minimum type deal with a new team?

Second, I'm sure I'm crazy on this, so either chime in and share why each of the hastily-thrown together points is totally insane, or if any of them would actually make sense.

1) He'd be a better 3rd QB than Portis
    2) We already have 2 WR's who can, and have, thrown TD passes this season (and didn't Lynch throw one too?). With Tebow at TE, and we could be the first team to have a 10/10 (double-double) TE - throw for 10 TD's and catch 10 TDs. If we played him at H-Back, he could do the triple-double, throw 10 TD's, catch 10 TD's, and run for 10 TD's!
    3) Imagine the 3rd-and-1 scenarios that would be possible with Tebow on the field... different places to line up, different options out of those formations, blocking, running, throwing, catching, direct snap, etc. Maybe Tebow could even make Bevell's awful bubble screens work! (catching them)
    4) We might be able to trade Flynn if Tebow showed enough as a backup, and save a little money. (Assuming Tebow came cheaper, after being released outright.)
    5) Bevell seems to be able to design plays to adapt to players skill sets, and he could probably figure out some dangerous things to do with Tebow; the "End-around Read Option", anyone?
    6) Tebow would be interested in coming to Seattle, because he'd know the competition is real. With Carroll's competition system, if Tebow beat out RW in preseason, as fans we'd also know he is the real deal
    7) Seattle already has one QB who's not supposed to have been viable in the NFL, and PC found a way to get him to work magic. Who better than Pete and Darrell to take another "unorthodox" QB and work magic with him?
    8 ) PC/JS found great ways to use another outstanding college QB, our awesome fullback MRob.
    9) With PC's "always compete" system, Tebow would have at least 3 chances to get on the field, between QB, TE, FB.
    10) Tebow is one of the few QB's who could physically do what RW does. He could actually develop into a real NFL QB, especially with RW's example to learn from.
    11) Tebow would fit the PC philosophy of physicality and toughness.
    12) I bet Tebow can catch better than Evan Moore.

FWIW, all the above involve Russell Wilson being on the field also, as the QB, with the exception of Wilson being unavailable/injury.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Reasons why not:

1- Tebow thinks he is a starting QB and is so proud that I believe he'll quit football entirely if he's not promised a starter's role in his next job. So though your points make sense (I think he could be one of the best Tight Ends/H Backs/Fullbacks/WR's in the game), I think Tim still sees himself as a QB. I mean, he has a point in that he's won games at the NFL level, so you can't exactly tell him that he's not an NFL QB. But I think he could be more valuable in other roles. But he wants to be a starting QB, and the money starting QB's make is more in a year than most TE's make in their whole career... so I don't see him going for it.

2- My guess is that the Patriots snatch him up immediately and promise him the world and probably already have a set of plays written for him and will tell him when they will work him in and how they will use him, and except him to take over for Brady if he is injured or when he retires. Tebow is very close to McDaniel (who effectively lost his job by drafting Tebow), and the Pats have shown a propensity for grabbing anybody and everybody the Jets get rid of, just to show them that with a good coach and a viable system that player can not only be a viable player, but can also be a starter or even a star. It seems to have gotten really personal, and I can see Tebow wanting revenge regardless of the nice guy act.

3- The Jaguars may make a serious run at him just in hopes of selling out a few games and hoping to up their franchise value for a possible relocation to LA. They will be more marketable and they will also be able to use the newly filled up stadium in Jax to tell the LA bidders that they needn't move as they are doing well... thus driving up the asking price for relocating. If they end up staying, they'll get more out of Jacksonville to build them more stadium and more whatever they want if they are filling it up weekly and LA comes after the team hard. Getting a local hero would be a big step in getting things righted a bit from a financials and interest from locals perspective, even if it doesn't improve the product on the field.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Tebow either starts in the NFL or the CFL.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• Assuming all the right elements are in place (Flynn traded, Tebow costs nothing, etc). I'd be okay with it. Wilson has never missed a game from injury in five seasons including college, and he's only been on the injury report once- in 2008. Tebow could make for an interesting wrinkle on trick plays. He's a really nice redzone weapon as well as a rusher, not that Seattle needs much help in that regard. And in a worst case scenario, I think Seattle is one of the few teams that could actually support a QB like Tebow if we had to start him. Our defense and running game are good enough to win an ugly 14-13 game if need be.

One other thing, Tebow would be free of the constant media attention in Seattle. I think part of what's holding back Tebow in New York is that the Jets braintrust is terrified of him actually succeeding, and causing a saliva overflow from the media, just like John Elway had to deal with, except worse. Tebow hasn't been 100% healthy lately, but that's only part of the reason why McElroy keeps getting the nods Tebow should be getting.

But yeah, if he's available dirt cheap I have to imagine that Jacksonville is all over it. It makes all the sense in the world for them. They need a reason for fans to buy tickets the next several years while they tear down that team and start over from scratch.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I dont get it... The reason Tebow wants to move on from the Jets is that they arent giving him a chance to start. Why would he want to be third string here, even if thats his skill level?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I still think Tebow could play QB eventually, the problem is that he's never been in a stable QB situation - he was drafted by the Broncos who had Kyle Orton as a starter, then went to the Jets where Mark Sanchez was the starter - both QBs have proved not to be franchise guys, so when a guy like Tebow who isn't the finished article (maybe he'll never be too), but has proven himself to just be able to win it's always going to cause media attention and friction in the locker room.

Tebow either has to go to a team with such a terrible QB situation that he will be the firmly entrenched starter (Arizona, Jacksonville or Kansas City, basically), or the no-question backup in a team where nobody is likely to call for him to start when the starter has one poor game
    (Every team in the league bar the Jets, Buffalo, Cleveland, Minnesota, and arguably Baltimore and Oakland, the former who have a QB controversy beginning to brew, and the latter who simply need to cut ties and start anew with younger players, even if they did spend high to obtain Palmer)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• I think he can be an nfl player but not a qb. And he shouldn't come in for starting qbs in the middle of a game like he does for the jets. It ruins the starting qbs momentum
    Joey13091
    NET Veteran

• I would not look at him this season but next. If he can play special teams,TE , FB and QB all as 3rd string it could perhaps allow me to stash another player I could not otherwise
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• No thanks to Tebow.It doesnt matter what he agrees to and says the media turns it into a crap storm for ratings and Tebow fans escalate the issue just creating way too much of a distraction.We have way too good of a thing going to be de-railed by a QB that cannot QB.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• I would trade a 6th or 7th for him even. He'd fit in well with our enviroment, he's a work out warrior and a very religious man (like wilson). I think the 2 would bond much more than he and "sanchize" did. I could see him as special teams captain, team/practice leader and a constant source of competition. He just fits with Pete's philosophy.

All that said I'd only want him as Special teams/hback/2nd string qb never a starting qb, which I don't think he's ready to concede yet.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

Dude is the most excused diva in sports, just accept that your a TE/FB and have a career instead of being a sideshow and a joke, and we already have Mike Rob as our FB no need to bring in this clown.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• The second the hawks sign tebow there would be an ESPN eye of sauron blazing focus upon us until we start him.

Tebow should go to jacksonville with chip kelly as the new coach. that would be perfect for him.
    We are the 2014 Superbowl champions and it can never, ever be taken away.
    Greatest defense in NFL history.
    Seeker
    NET Veteran

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO>!! NOOOOOOOOO no. no no no no no n o
    noooooooooooooooooooooooo NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELL NO

HELLLLLLLLLLL NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVER EVER EVER EVER NO.

No. Stop it OP.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• Just. No.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Rookie

• Not sure why we would sign Tebow, we already have a fullback
    zifnab32
    NET Rookie

• He could be a decent TE.

He should go to Jacksonville.
    Last edited by Uffda on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Thanks but no thanks.
    I think if you want to lose your receivers, if you want to frustrate your tight-ends, if you want to crush your O-line, then sign Tebow.
    If you want to have some weird fans buy billboards ads and/or force the hands of your GM ..., then sign Tebow...

Thanks but no thanks.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• no

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

• Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

I agree with this. Further in his wildest dreams he isn't a team player.

Remember the biggest deal of this team is together they are family. Better than individuals, stronger as a whole.

Tim Elbow isn't interested in being anything but Tim Elbow media darling. He thinks he's the next reincarnation of Bart Starr and most players think he's the reincarnation of David Greene.

:34853_doh:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I would not mind seeing Tebow in a Hawks uniform.
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

Dude is the most excused diva in sports, just accept that your a TE/FB and have a career instead of being a sideshow and a joke, and we already have Mike Rob as our FB no need to bring in this clown.

This.

Tebow is NOT a QB. Period.

He could have a great NFL career if he could reconcile himself to that, but he can't or won't.

In the end, he's a freak athlete who will always want the QB spot and never succeed there, and he has a media circus following him around because of the rabid frothing he generates among his evangelical followers (and the haters who revel in the backlash).

He CAN'T do all the things Wilson can, physically, mentally, or otherwise. He would be an awful backup to him. And there would be zero value in taking Wilson off the field to put Tebow on for gimmick plays.

There's no upside to this at all.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Tebow's 15 mins. are just about up.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• bellingerga wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO>!! NOOOOOOOOO no. no no no no no n o
    noooooooooooooooooooooooo NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELL NO

HELLLLLLLLLLL NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVER EVER EVER EVER NO.

No. Stop it OP.

This sums it up perfectly, except he left out.....NO!!!!!
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• There is only one reason to do this: Secretly, you are hoping for 24 hour coverage of the hawks on ESPN. Personally, I hate Ed Werder and want him nowhere hear the VMAC.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Throwdown wrote:Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

:13:

I don't have anything personally against him besides him not being a NFL quarterback, but I've never seen player who didn't deserve any attention get so much of it. Our locker room doesn't need a diva/media distraction from a player who doesn't produce on the field.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• If Tebow ever starts at quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, it will spell our demise. I honestly cannot watch this guy try to throw the ball. If we signed him to play TE or something, I'd be ok with it, but that isn't happening. Tebow is NOT an NFL caliper quarterback. Many college players need to transition to new positions in the NFL and Tebow is a prime example of what happens when you should and you don't.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Why don't we just bring back Seneca Wallace, at least he has proven he can throw the ball. I'd rather bring Green or Teal back before bringing in Tebow. The guy is not a QB, and I'd prefer to keep his circus far from this team.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Reasons why not:

1) Tebow sucks

2) Tebow sucks and brings too much of a media circus with him

3) Tebow sucks, so he won't bring any actual competition to the QB spot. The very thought of him pushing RW is beyond ridiculous.

4) Tebow sucks, and we already have a full back that could serve as an emergency QB if necessary.

5) Tebow sucks and we already have a good TE in Miller.

6) Tebow sucks, Tebow sucks and Tebow sucks.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Where the hell's Zac Robinson?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Where the hell's Zac Robinson?

He's running a stable of ho's in Vegas now. True story.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I think Tebow can still have a very good career in the NFL when he he realizes he isn't an NFL QB.

At some point when all of his options to play QB are gone, a very smart team will convince him to become Michael Robinson and that team and Tebow will be better for it. They just need to convince Tebow, say "look at Mike Rob" and you can become a bigtime special teamer, kick coverage, short yardage carries, run routes to the flat out of the backfield.

I wouldn't put it past Pete Carroll - Carroll wants "unique players with chips on their shoulders that love football" that is Tebow. If Pete made it absolutely clear that in no way, shape or for he is here to play QB then I would be for it. It is no fault of his own, but he just casts too big of a shadow if he is listed on your QB depth chart. Let him dissapear up here to the northwest, wearing a number like 43 and let the kid be a football player. Tell him to watch Mike Rob. Tebow isn't a devissive presence at all as long as it is clear that there is no grandeur of him playing QB, instead he becomes a tough winner and bigtime competitor.

If he continues to try to be an NFL QB then he is just hurting himself.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• No...just no.

The Seahawks like THROWING THE BALL and Tebow is not capable of doing that. Even with the running game Seattle has going for them, having Tebow at QB in a backup capacity would invite 10 into the box on every play because there would be absolutely no threat of a passing game.

That, and Tebow sucks.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Tiny Tim will be in the CFL next year.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

• No.

Tebow would be a bad #2 QB. Rather have someone who could throw.

Tebow is completely overrated athletically. He'd be a too tall to really be a fullback, I don't think he's a special enough of an athlete to convert to TE at 6' 3". Why not just get a developmental prospect with real upside.

Tebow brings the bad sort of media attention.

If we really want someone to be a threat throwing on special teams, we got Michael Robinson. He can probably still toss the ball decently enough to be used for a fake.

Russell can run just fine anyways, not like we need a gimmick package for him like that.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• So the downside summary includes...
    1) Tebow sucks as an NFL QB (the passing part of the job)
    2) Tebow is a me-me-me diva who actively courts the media circus
    3) Tebow wouldn't go to the Hawks anyway because, as the diva he is, he would only go somewhere he feels he could/would be the starter
    4) Tebow feels *entitled* to be a starting QB in the NFL, despite his clear issues as a throwing QB, and wouldn't play other positions unless he were totally out of QB'ing options
    5) We already have a great FB in MRob, and Tebow is too tall to be a great FB
    6) Tebow would be average at best as a TE, not great, and he is too short to be great as a TE
    7) Tebow will wind up in Jacksonville anyway, most likely, because at least he'd sell tickets there and be a gimmick for a year or two before the franchise moves to LA. (Sounds eerily similar to the Ken Behring Seahawks years)
    8, 9, 10) See #1.

FWIW, the scenarios I suggested had Russell Wilson on the field at all times as the QB, with the exception of RW being injured.
    I also can't ever imagine a scenario where Carroll would "guarantee" anyone anything, so it should almost go without saying that Tebow would have to compete to even be the #2, and the only way PC/JS would bring him here would be with the understanding he would play where and how the coaches wanted him to.

I was hoping someone would expand further on how Bevell might design plays to maximize use of a Tebow (non-QB) skillset, and the options that would create. But possibly people think so little of Tebow as a passer that they'd rather see Sidney Rice or even Golden Tate winging the passes, not even to mention Lynch or Mike Rob.

It does seem like a lot of people are so passionate about how badly Tebow sucks as a throwing QB and his perceived diva-ness, that they just can't get past that and see other, positive possibilities. Clearly Tebow is extremely polarizing among fans. I haven't seen any reason to think Tebow will do anything but work his ass off and be a good teammate. However, it seems a safe bet the PC/JS braintrust wouldn't be very interested in Tebow, except at a very cheap (free) price, and with Tebow's explicit willingness to play wherever asked.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• Hell freakin' no. Tebow is nothing but a distraction and he's not even close to being a QB in the NFL.

IMO, if Tebow wants to continue playing in this league he's going to have to change positions. Like becoming a FB. I don't know if he or his zombie-like fans could accept it but that's really the only way he'll be successful.

JIMMIES STATUS:

RUSTLED
    UNRUSTLED √
    silvergun
    NET Starter

• olyfan63 wrote:I was hoping someone would expand further on how Bevell might design plays to maximize use of a Tebow (non-QB) skillset, and the options that would create. But possibly people think so little of Tebow as a passer that they'd rather see Sidney Rice or even Golden Tate winging the passes, not even to mention Lynch or Mike Rob.

Frankly, Rice has better mechanics than Tebow does as a passer.

Still, consider that the Jets have Tony Sparano as their OC, a guy who is tied to the Wildcat offense. If he was unable to maximize Tebow's talents, then I don't know who can.

I don't personally think Tebow is a diva in any regard except for his insistence on playing QB. He's a situational player at best, and I just don't see the value in courting the media circus of Tebow for the limited payoff of what he MIGHT bring to the field on a mere handful of plays per game.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:Frankly, Rice has better mechanics than Tebow does as a passer.

Still, consider that the Jets have Tony Sparano as their OC, a guy who is tied to the Wildcat offense. If he was unable to maximize Tebow's talents, then I don't know who can.

I don't personally think Tebow is a diva in any regard except for his insistence on playing QB. He's a situational player at best, and I just don't see the value in courting the media circus of Tebow for the limited payoff of what he MIGHT bring to the field on a mere handful of plays per game.

Well said. I wasn't aware of the Tony Sparano Wildcat link. Thanks for that info. Yeah, you'd think a guy like that would figure out how to use Tebow effectively.

I'm still waiting for someone to provide compelling data about how Tebow is a diva, aside from the I-only-wanna-plan-QB thing, which frankly I can't blame him for and won't hold against him. The only thing I've ever been aware of about Tebow is the workout warrior side, plus the leader characteristics that got his Broncos teammates to keep the faith and win all those games. I just don't think his Broncos O-mates would keep the faith and keep bringing it if they felt they were just enabling a diva rather than following their squad leader to the next foxhole. And his religion, well, a lot of players wear it on their sleeve (Kurt Warner comes to mind) so I can't see calling him a diva over that either.

But hell yeah, the cost/benefit for what Tebow MIGHT bring vs. the media circus & distraction he WOULD bring doesn't look good.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• olyfan63 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:Frankly, Rice has better mechanics than Tebow does as a passer.

Well said. I wasn't aware of the Tony Sparano Wildcat link. Thanks for that info. Yeah, you'd think a guy like that would figure out how to use Tebow effectively.

I'm still waiting for someone to provide compelling data about how Tebow is a diva, aside from the I-only-wanna-plan-QB thing, which frankly I can't blame him for and won't hold against him. The only thing I've ever been aware of about Tebow is the workout warrior side, plus the leader characteristics that got his Broncos teammates to keep the faith and win all those games. I just don't think his Broncos O-mates would keep the faith and keep bringing it if they felt they were just enabling a diva rather than following their squad leader to the next foxhole. And his religion, well, a lot of players wear it on their sleeve (Kurt Warner comes to mind) so I can't see calling him a diva over that either.

But hell yeah, the cost/benefit for what Tebow MIGHT bring vs. the media circus & distraction he WOULD bring doesn't look good.

If you followed a lot of the comments when the offseason Manning rumors were going around, not all of his teammates had faith in him. In fact, many of them came very close to going on record as saying, "Finally, a real QB" when Manning signed.

The Broncos believed in their defense wholeheartedly, but you could see the frustration from the players on both sides of the ball during the first 55 minutes of every game. Yes, Tebow's athleticism and every-once-in-a-blue-moon passes that connected helped the Broncos win a lot of close games at the end, but the Broncos were only close in those games because of the defense, and in SPITE of Tebow's play. Had the Broncos had a worthwhile QB all that time, none of those games would have been close in the first place.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• SMH, anyone who has ever tried to sell anything knows you only need one sucker to make it happen. Thank god John Schneider isn't that sucker. And to the OP, we have the guy you described already in Micheal Robinson and he can play Fullback.

I am really surprised at how bad some people are at evaluating talent. Is their some kind of Tannenbaumism or Ruskellism spreading?
    Last edited by SEC FAN on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

• Team chaplain
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• nuts, just nuts, all Seattle needs at this point is a deep speed burner with hands, nevermind inside protection, Wilson knows how to handle those farmers... :thirishdrinkers:
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information