Why the Seahawks should sign Tebow when the Jets cut him

olyfan63

Reaction score
Reading this article below, talking about Tebow probably being traded/released by the Jets, got me thinking down the strange path that Tebow could actually be useful as a Seahawk.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ng-its-end

First, does anyone think other NFL teams will *trade* for Tebow or claim him in a way where they have to pay his full salary? Or will Tebow just be released, clear waivers, and then sign an NFL-minimum type deal with a new team?

Second, I'm sure I'm crazy on this, so either chime in and share why each of the hastily-thrown together points is totally insane, or if any of them would actually make sense.

1) He'd be a better 3rd QB than Portis
2) We already have 2 WR's who can, and have, thrown TD passes this season (and didn't Lynch throw one too?). With Tebow at TE, and we could be the first team to have a 10/10 (double-double) TE - throw for 10 TD's and catch 10 TDs. If we played him at H-Back, he could do the triple-double, throw 10 TD's, catch 10 TD's, and run for 10 TD's!
3) Imagine the 3rd-and-1 scenarios that would be possible with Tebow on the field... different places to line up, different options out of those formations, blocking, running, throwing, catching, direct snap, etc. Maybe Tebow could even make Bevell's awful bubble screens work! (catching them)
4) We might be able to trade Flynn if Tebow showed enough as a backup, and save a little money. (Assuming Tebow came cheaper, after being released outright.)
5) Bevell seems to be able to design plays to adapt to players skill sets, and he could probably figure out some dangerous things to do with Tebow; the "End-around Read Option", anyone?
6) Tebow would be interested in coming to Seattle, because he'd know the competition is real. With Carroll's competition system, if Tebow beat out RW in preseason, as fans we'd also know he is the real deal
7) Seattle already has one QB who's not supposed to have been viable in the NFL, and PC found a way to get him to work magic. Who better than Pete and Darrell to take another "unorthodox" QB and work magic with him?
8 ) PC/JS found great ways to use another outstanding college QB, our awesome fullback MRob.
9) With PC's "always compete" system, Tebow would have at least 3 chances to get on the field, between QB, TE, FB.
10) Tebow is one of the few QB's who could physically do what RW does. He could actually develop into a real NFL QB, especially with RW's example to learn from.
11) Tebow would fit the PC philosophy of physicality and toughness.
12) I bet Tebow can catch better than Evan Moore.

FWIW, all the above involve Russell Wilson being on the field also, as the QB, with the exception of Wilson being unavailable/injury.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Reasons why not:

1- Tebow thinks he is a starting QB and is so proud that I believe he'll quit football entirely if he's not promised a starter's role in his next job. So though your points make sense (I think he could be one of the best Tight Ends/H Backs/Fullbacks/WR's in the game), I think Tim still sees himself as a QB. I mean, he has a point in that he's won games at the NFL level, so you can't exactly tell him that he's not an NFL QB. But I think he could be more valuable in other roles. But he wants to be a starting QB, and the money starting QB's make is more in a year than most TE's make in their whole career... so I don't see him going for it.

2- My guess is that the Patriots snatch him up immediately and promise him the world and probably already have a set of plays written for him and will tell him when they will work him in and how they will use him, and except him to take over for Brady if he is injured or when he retires. Tebow is very close to McDaniel (who effectively lost his job by drafting Tebow), and the Pats have shown a propensity for grabbing anybody and everybody the Jets get rid of, just to show them that with a good coach and a viable system that player can not only be a viable player, but can also be a starter or even a star. It seems to have gotten really personal, and I can see Tebow wanting revenge regardless of the nice guy act.

3- The Jaguars may make a serious run at him just in hopes of selling out a few games and hoping to up their franchise value for a possible relocation to LA. They will be more marketable and they will also be able to use the newly filled up stadium in Jax to tell the LA bidders that they needn't move as they are doing well... thus driving up the asking price for relocating. If they end up staying, they'll get more out of Jacksonville to build them more stadium and more whatever they want if they are filling it up weekly and LA comes after the team hard. Getting a local hero would be a big step in getting things righted a bit from a financials and interest from locals perspective, even if it doesn't improve the product on the field.

kearly

Reaction score
Assuming all the right elements are in place (Flynn traded, Tebow costs nothing, etc). I'd be okay with it. Wilson has never missed a game from injury in five seasons including college, and he's only been on the injury report once- in 2008. Tebow could make for an interesting wrinkle on trick plays. He's a really nice redzone weapon as well as a rusher, not that Seattle needs much help in that regard. And in a worst case scenario, I think Seattle is one of the few teams that could actually support a QB like Tebow if we had to start him. Our defense and running game are good enough to win an ugly 14-13 game if need be.

One other thing, Tebow would be free of the constant media attention in Seattle. I think part of what's holding back Tebow in New York is that the Jets braintrust is terrified of him actually succeeding, and causing a saliva overflow from the media, just like John Elway had to deal with, except worse. Tebow hasn't been 100% healthy lately, but that's only part of the reason why McElroy keeps getting the nods Tebow should be getting.

But yeah, if he's available dirt cheap I have to imagine that Jacksonville is all over it. It makes all the sense in the world for them. They need a reason for fans to buy tickets the next several years while they tear down that team and start over from scratch.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I dont get it... The reason Tebow wants to move on from the Jets is that they arent giving him a chance to start. Why would he want to be third string here, even if thats his skill level?

themunn

Reaction score
I still think Tebow could play QB eventually, the problem is that he's never been in a stable QB situation - he was drafted by the Broncos who had Kyle Orton as a starter, then went to the Jets where Mark Sanchez was the starter - both QBs have proved not to be franchise guys, so when a guy like Tebow who isn't the finished article (maybe he'll never be too), but has proven himself to just be able to win it's always going to cause media attention and friction in the locker room.

Tebow either has to go to a team with such a terrible QB situation that he will be the firmly entrenched starter (Arizona, Jacksonville or Kansas City, basically), or the no-question backup in a team where nobody is likely to call for him to start when the starter has one poor game
(Every team in the league bar the Jets, Buffalo, Cleveland, Minnesota, and arguably Baltimore and Oakland, the former who have a QB controversy beginning to brew, and the latter who simply need to cut ties and start anew with younger players, even if they did spend high to obtain Palmer)

Joey13091

Reaction score
I think he can be an nfl player but not a qb. And he shouldn't come in for starting qbs in the middle of a game like he does for the jets. It ruins the starting qbs momentum

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I would not look at him this season but next. If he can play special teams,TE , FB and QB all as 3rd string it could perhaps allow me to stash another player I could not otherwise

VHawk

Reaction score
No thanks to Tebow.It doesnt matter what he agrees to and says the media turns it into a crap storm for ratings and Tebow fans escalate the issue just creating way too much of a distraction.We have way too good of a thing going to be de-railed by a QB that cannot QB.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I would trade a 6th or 7th for him even. He'd fit in well with our enviroment, he's a work out warrior and a very religious man (like wilson). I think the 2 would bond much more than he and "sanchize" did. I could see him as special teams captain, team/practice leader and a constant source of competition. He just fits with Pete's philosophy.

All that said I'd only want him as Special teams/hback/2nd string qb never a starting qb, which I don't think he's ready to concede yet.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

Dude is the most excused diva in sports, just accept that your a TE/FB and have a career instead of being a sideshow and a joke, and we already have Mike Rob as our FB no need to bring in this clown.

Seeker

Reaction score
The second the hawks sign tebow there would be an ESPN eye of sauron blazing focus upon us until we start him.

Tebow should go to jacksonville with chip kelly as the new coach. that would be perfect for him.

bellingerga

Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO>!! NOOOOOOOOO no. no no no no no n o
noooooooooooooooooooooooo NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELL NO

HELLLLLLLLLLL NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVER EVER EVER EVER NO.

No. Stop it OP.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Thanks but no thanks.
I think if you want to lose your receivers, if you want to frustrate your tight-ends, if you want to crush your O-line, then sign Tebow.
If you want to have some weird fans buy billboards ads and/or force the hands of your GM ..., then sign Tebow...

Thanks but no thanks.

The Radish

Reaction score
Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

I agree with this. Further in his wildest dreams he isn't a team player.

Remember the biggest deal of this team is together they are family. Better than individuals, stronger as a whole.

Tim Elbow isn't interested in being anything but Tim Elbow media darling. He thinks he's the next reincarnation of Bart Starr and most players think he's the reincarnation of David Greene.

:34853_doh: