Why the Seahawks should sign Tebow when the Jets cut him

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":1z3fzsou said:
Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

Dude is the most excused diva in sports, just accept that your a TE/FB and have a career instead of being a sideshow and a joke, and we already have Mike Rob as our FB no need to bring in this clown.

This.

Tebow is NOT a QB. Period.

He could have a great NFL career if he could reconcile himself to that, but he can't or won't.

In the end, he's a freak athlete who will always want the QB spot and never succeed there, and he has a media circus following him around because of the rabid frothing he generates among his evangelical followers (and the haters who revel in the backlash).

He CAN'T do all the things Wilson can, physically, mentally, or otherwise. He would be an awful backup to him. And there would be zero value in taking Wilson off the field to put Tebow on for gimmick plays.

There's no upside to this at all.

Largent80

Reaction score
bellingerga":15ieslzt said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO>!! NOOOOOOOOO no. no no no no no n o
noooooooooooooooooooooooo NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELL NO

HELLLLLLLLLLL NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NEVER EVER EVER EVER NO.

No. Stop it OP.

This sums it up perfectly, except he left out.....NO!!!!!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is only one reason to do this: Secretly, you are hoping for 24 hour coverage of the hawks on ESPN. Personally, I hate Ed Werder and want him nowhere hear the VMAC.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Throwdown":1zaf0oib said:
Tebow in his wildest dreams isn't a better QB than Portis, be real.

Dude is the most excused diva in sports, just accept that your a TE/FB and have a career instead of being a sideshow and a joke, and we already have Mike Rob as our FB no need to bring in this clown.
:13:

I don't have anything personally against him besides him not being a NFL quarterback, but I've never seen player who didn't deserve any attention get so much of it. Our locker room doesn't need a diva/media distraction from a player who doesn't produce on the field.

kidhawk

Reaction score
If Tebow ever starts at quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, it will spell our demise. I honestly cannot watch this guy try to throw the ball. If we signed him to play TE or something, I'd be ok with it, but that isn't happening. Tebow is NOT an NFL caliper quarterback. Many college players need to transition to new positions in the NFL and Tebow is a prime example of what happens when you should and you don't.

razor150

Reaction score
Why don't we just bring back Seneca Wallace, at least he has proven he can throw the ball. I'd rather bring Green or Teal back before bringing in Tebow. The guy is not a QB, and I'd prefer to keep his circus far from this team.

Sac

Reaction score
Reasons why not:

1) Tebow sucks

2) Tebow sucks and brings too much of a media circus with him

3) Tebow sucks, so he won't bring any actual competition to the QB spot. The very thought of him pushing RW is beyond ridiculous.

4) Tebow sucks, and we already have a full back that could serve as an emergency QB if necessary.

5) Tebow sucks and we already have a good TE in Miller.

6) Tebow sucks, Tebow sucks and Tebow sucks.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think Tebow can still have a very good career in the NFL when he he realizes he isn't an NFL QB.

At some point when all of his options to play QB are gone, a very smart team will convince him to become Michael Robinson and that team and Tebow will be better for it. They just need to convince Tebow, say "look at Mike Rob" and you can become a bigtime special teamer, kick coverage, short yardage carries, run routes to the flat out of the backfield.

I wouldn't put it past Pete Carroll - Carroll wants "unique players with chips on their shoulders that love football" that is Tebow. If Pete made it absolutely clear that in no way, shape or for he is here to play QB then I would be for it. It is no fault of his own, but he just casts too big of a shadow if he is listed on your QB depth chart. Let him dissapear up here to the northwest, wearing a number like 43 and let the kid be a football player. Tell him to watch Mike Rob. Tebow isn't a devissive presence at all as long as it is clear that there is no grandeur of him playing QB, instead he becomes a tough winner and bigtime competitor.

If he continues to try to be an NFL QB then he is just hurting himself.

rideaducati

Reaction score
No...just no.

The Seahawks like THROWING THE BALL and Tebow is not capable of doing that. Even with the running game Seattle has going for them, having Tebow at QB in a backup capacity would invite 10 into the box on every play because there would be absolutely no threat of a passing game.

That, and Tebow sucks.

JKent82

Reaction score
No.

Tebow would be a bad #2 QB. Rather have someone who could throw.

Tebow is completely overrated athletically. He'd be a too tall to really be a fullback, I don't think he's a special enough of an athlete to convert to TE at 6' 3". Why not just get a developmental prospect with real upside.

Tebow brings the bad sort of media attention.

If we really want someone to be a threat throwing on special teams, we got Michael Robinson. He can probably still toss the ball decently enough to be used for a fake.

Russell can run just fine anyways, not like we need a gimmick package for him like that.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
So the downside summary includes...
1) Tebow sucks as an NFL QB (the passing part of the job)
2) Tebow is a me-me-me diva who actively courts the media circus
3) Tebow wouldn't go to the Hawks anyway because, as the diva he is, he would only go somewhere he feels he could/would be the starter
4) Tebow feels *entitled* to be a starting QB in the NFL, despite his clear issues as a throwing QB, and wouldn't play other positions unless he were totally out of QB'ing options
5) We already have a great FB in MRob, and Tebow is too tall to be a great FB
6) Tebow would be average at best as a TE, not great, and he is too short to be great as a TE
7) Tebow will wind up in Jacksonville anyway, most likely, because at least he'd sell tickets there and be a gimmick for a year or two before the franchise moves to LA. (Sounds eerily similar to the Ken Behring Seahawks years)
8, 9, 10) See #1.

FWIW, the scenarios I suggested had Russell Wilson on the field at all times as the QB, with the exception of RW being injured.
I also can't ever imagine a scenario where Carroll would "guarantee" anyone anything, so it should almost go without saying that Tebow would have to compete to even be the #2, and the only way PC/JS would bring him here would be with the understanding he would play where and how the coaches wanted him to.

I was hoping someone would expand further on how Bevell might design plays to maximize use of a Tebow (non-QB) skillset, and the options that would create. But possibly people think so little of Tebow as a passer that they'd rather see Sidney Rice or even Golden Tate winging the passes, not even to mention Lynch or Mike Rob.

It does seem like a lot of people are so passionate about how badly Tebow sucks as a throwing QB and his perceived diva-ness, that they just can't get past that and see other, positive possibilities. Clearly Tebow is extremely polarizing among fans. I haven't seen any reason to think Tebow will do anything but work his ass off and be a good teammate. However, it seems a safe bet the PC/JS braintrust wouldn't be very interested in Tebow, except at a very cheap (free) price, and with Tebow's explicit willingness to play wherever asked.

silvergun

Reaction score
Hell freakin' no. Tebow is nothing but a distraction and he's not even close to being a QB in the NFL.

IMO, if Tebow wants to continue playing in this league he's going to have to change positions. Like becoming a FB. I don't know if he or his zombie-like fans could accept it but that's really the only way he'll be successful.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":pqmdjarv said:
I was hoping someone would expand further on how Bevell might design plays to maximize use of a Tebow (non-QB) skillset, and the options that would create. But possibly people think so little of Tebow as a passer that they'd rather see Sidney Rice or even Golden Tate winging the passes, not even to mention Lynch or Mike Rob.

Frankly, Rice has better mechanics than Tebow does as a passer.

Still, consider that the Jets have Tony Sparano as their OC, a guy who is tied to the Wildcat offense. If he was unable to maximize Tebow's talents, then I don't know who can.

I don't personally think Tebow is a diva in any regard except for his insistence on playing QB. He's a situational player at best, and I just don't see the value in courting the media circus of Tebow for the limited payoff of what he MIGHT bring to the field on a mere handful of plays per game.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
volsunghawk":32828ltj said:

Still, consider that the Jets have Tony Sparano as their OC, a guy who is tied to the Wildcat offense. If he was unable to maximize Tebow's talents, then I don't know who can.

I don't personally think Tebow is a diva in any regard except for his insistence on playing QB. He's a situational player at best, and I just don't see the value in courting the media circus of Tebow for the limited payoff of what he MIGHT bring to the field on a mere handful of plays per game.

Well said. I wasn't aware of the Tony Sparano Wildcat link. Thanks for that info. Yeah, you'd think a guy like that would figure out how to use Tebow effectively.

I'm still waiting for someone to provide compelling data about how Tebow is a diva, aside from the I-only-wanna-plan-QB thing, which frankly I can't blame him for and won't hold against him. The only thing I've ever been aware of about Tebow is the workout warrior side, plus the leader characteristics that got his Broncos teammates to keep the faith and win all those games. I just don't think his Broncos O-mates would keep the faith and keep bringing it if they felt they were just enabling a diva rather than following their squad leader to the next foxhole. And his religion, well, a lot of players wear it on their sleeve (Kurt Warner comes to mind) so I can't see calling him a diva over that either.

But hell yeah, the cost/benefit for what Tebow MIGHT bring vs. the media circus & distraction he WOULD bring doesn't look good.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":8jrsuldo said:
volsunghawk":8jrsuldo said:

Well said. I wasn't aware of the Tony Sparano Wildcat link. Thanks for that info. Yeah, you'd think a guy like that would figure out how to use Tebow effectively.

I'm still waiting for someone to provide compelling data about how Tebow is a diva, aside from the I-only-wanna-plan-QB thing, which frankly I can't blame him for and won't hold against him. The only thing I've ever been aware of about Tebow is the workout warrior side, plus the leader characteristics that got his Broncos teammates to keep the faith and win all those games. I just don't think his Broncos O-mates would keep the faith and keep bringing it if they felt they were just enabling a diva rather than following their squad leader to the next foxhole. And his religion, well, a lot of players wear it on their sleeve (Kurt Warner comes to mind) so I can't see calling him a diva over that either.

But hell yeah, the cost/benefit for what Tebow MIGHT bring vs. the media circus & distraction he WOULD bring doesn't look good.

If you followed a lot of the comments when the offseason Manning rumors were going around, not all of his teammates had faith in him. In fact, many of them came very close to going on record as saying, "Finally, a real QB" when Manning signed.

The Broncos believed in their defense wholeheartedly, but you could see the frustration from the players on both sides of the ball during the first 55 minutes of every game. Yes, Tebow's athleticism and every-once-in-a-blue-moon passes that connected helped the Broncos win a lot of close games at the end, but the Broncos were only close in those games because of the defense, and in SPITE of Tebow's play. Had the Broncos had a worthwhile QB all that time, none of those games would have been close in the first place.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
SMH, anyone who has ever tried to sell anything knows you only need one sucker to make it happen. Thank god John Schneider isn't that sucker. And to the OP, we have the guy you described already in Micheal Robinson and he can play Fullback.

I am really surprised at how bad some people are at evaluating talent. Is their some kind of Tannenbaumism or Ruskellism spreading?