Reminiscing about the old days of .NET, what do you got?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Anybody have any good old stuff they remember from .NET in the old days? Like big blowups that happened, or members that came in and made a mark and disappeared? Or big rivalries between posters?

I will give you an example from another board. I was a member of a softball board that had about 10,000 active posters. There was this guy that went by the name of Danger Mouse and he would come on and make these long drawn out posts (think of my posts, but times them by about 5). He would just get on a rant and go and go and go. Nobody really knew how to respond to Danger Mouse, but he was such a troll (a knowledgeable one... but still liked to bait people into stuff) that there needed to be a good response. After a while a new poster emerged with the name Safety Cat (get it... opposite of a Danger Mouse) and he wouldn't respond to Danger Mouse directly at first, he would just make super long meandering posts shortly after Danger Mouse did that sort of made every opposite point that DM had just made. Then they got into it directly and it was like the most entertaining war ever. I'd be on that site all day at work just looking for responses.

Now I'll throw out a .NET classic, and that was the day I popped in and I think I must have been one of the first people to see KBowen's posts and I could not stop laughing. HASS IS MANNNNNNNNN! etc. I am sure many of you remember that. I'd love to hear some of your classic stories.

My other one was the day I was searching for stuff on eBay and saw Seahawks.net up for sale and I seriously freaked out. I came to the site immediately, and there was already a super long thread with Todd explaining the situation and how it was just a domain sale and not selling of the site itself. I remember this sense of massive panic the second I saw that listing. I was literally having an anxiety attack thinking Seahawks.net was going away. Todd's reassurances of what was going on saved me from potential hospitalization that day I think. Pheeewwww. That one scared me.

Please share your classic posters, stories, misadventures. I'm not trying to bring up anything that is hurtful or anything like that or to make fun of anybody. I am not trying to make fun of KBowen. I loved those posts and encouraged him to please keep posting them, because they got me pumped up and they were just cool. I think he took offense to others repeating what he said like a warcry and such though, although my thoughts were that it was totally supportive and we just loved how he expressed himself. I still have a sneaking suspicion it was one of our good friends who posts regularly here, and if it was, he played it perfectly. If it wasn't... then I wonder what happened to that guy and I wish he'd come back.

Look forward to reminiscing with you guys over the holidays. I am sure I'll think of more as I get my mind jogged with your stories.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Where do I begin? ;)

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Begin with the end, and end with the beginning. Errr... something like that. I know you've got a million good stories. How many times did lawyers from the Hawks contact you? I've always wondered on that one, but never had the guts to ask. I'm guessing they tried to get the domain back at some point. Did they just realize their mistake too late, or did they not seem to care? Did they have it at one point and let it expire? I remember the Mariners were in kind of a mess as they didn't get their own domain, so for a long time their official website was mariners.org . Somebody really screwed the pooch on that one.

I can remember when I first went looking for Hawks sites in the 90's and I don't even remember if the Hawks had one. I remember your original sites though and they were so far and away superior to what really any NFL team had at that point that it wasn't even funny (and still isn't!). The graphics, layout, colors, content, etc. were all amazing. Even the roster on the Hawks page once they got it going was so consistently awful that I just stopped even going there for info at all. Luckily they have an exclusive now and again since they acquired a good writer in Farnsworth and the camp exclusive videos. Prior to that there was no reason to go to their site at all.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• This is easy. Pe's thread about who we would "do" on the Hawks roster.

Right now? .......I want to have Russels baby.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Haha. That was pretty funny. The guy is a riot.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Endzorn, Hawk-Strap and Absolute kill me. If you smoke weed, endzorns a MUST read.

There's two I'm personally proud of because most EVERYONE thought I was serious. The first was franchising Brock Huard. There was 5 pages explaining to me how the tag worked. The second was the "lets nuke the moon" thread. I can proudly say five posters fell for that.

I loved it when Farrar, that worm, would alter history and delete things he previously posted. He did it SO many times.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I know there's all sorts of girlie blow-ups between the high-maitnence mods. Aros, and now Rock, pretty much have to tell the mods "you're pretty too" everyday to keep things running. I'd love to hear a few of those.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Marker my word.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I remember the whole Kingdome Karleesimo episode pretty well. I actually thought it was a bit silly for Aros to be so serious in calling him out at the time, but now it appears that he pays annual visits to the Bears' boards to tell them how they're gonna beat the 'Hawks that year. Muppet.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I can't stop laughing. Keep up the good work guys!
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• March 2, 2007 was the last decent day we had around here
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Why's that? Details man, we need details!
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Man...I miss the Waterboy's posts and game breakdowns (sorry Kip).
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Smack was my favorite.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• SharkHawk wrote:Why's that? Details man, we need details!

BAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAA...

How long you been around for now?
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• How long have I been around? Since the late 90's when this page was still old school Hawks blue and green.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• SharkHawk wrote:How long have I been around? Since the late 90's when this page was still old school Hawks blue and green.

You're not getting it.

Look at your join date under your avatar.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• tomahawk wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:How long have I been around? Since the late 90's when this page was still old school Hawks blue and green.

You're not getting it.

What are you talking about
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Do I really have to explain this?
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• tomahawk wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:How long have I been around? Since the late 90's when this page was still old school Hawks blue and green.

You're not getting it.

I still don't get it. I mean this site obviously improved dramatically on March 3rd of that year, so I'm still kinda fuzzy. :pukeface:
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• You ARE the wind beneath our wings. Now where that wind comes from????? ;)

Back on topic - the Ray Rhodes napkin joke was one of my favorites years ago.
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Who was that guy that came on here with that story about Hass and big Walt in Vegas and crazy times?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Largent80 wrote:This is easy. Pe's thread about who we would "do" on the Hawks roster.

Right now? .......I want to have Russels baby.

Hahaha...after his first magical drive against the Bills I posted on FB "Man, I'd totally have Russell Wilson's baby". I don't think my friends will ever look at me the same again
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Newyawkseahawk.

'Nuff Said.
    * NET Staff *

• I miss Reader Dave periodically sending me news about idiotic sports and/or ferret-related happenings.

Or getting ripped a new one for bitching about the whole 'Should've taken Jackson instead of Tubbs' thing.

Edit to Add: Oh, I think my record times for receiving personal e-mail describing just how much of an asshole I was -- The rant on what a whiny cvnt Eli Manning was for his draft day shenanigans. How did I forget that? I need to care more.
    TravTex
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Zowert was epic!

Anything Warner28 did in the shack was always a must read
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• The Giants fan who got emotional when he tried to troll us, that was funny as hell to me! We were suppose to get mad, but he ended up getting mad.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Born-a-horn. I still think that was Vince's mom.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Maker my words....

Seriously, has anybody fessed up to that, or was that guy legit? Either way, we need him back here NOW! Probably the greatest impact with the fewest posts of any member in the history of message boards.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• peachesenregalia wrote:I remember the whole Kingdome Karleesimo episode pretty well. I actually thought it was a bit silly for Aros to be so serious in calling him out at the time, but now it appears that he pays annual visits to the Bears' boards to tell them how they're gonna beat the 'Hawks that year. Muppet.

There was a very good reason that in all my 10 years of owning and running NET that I only called out - and banished - one member once like I did Kingdome Karleesimo. He was a traitor from the start and I instantly saw through him. It disgusted me to the point of banishing him forever. The first and last time I would ever do something like that given he was a --ahem-- "Seahawks fan".

Haven't regreted the decision ever since, nor will I ever.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I never knew he was. I thought he was a clown, but that's about it. So was he just a wolf in sheep's clothing? How did you find out Aros? I've seen a few fans that were like that. I had quite a few fans here tell me that I was obviously not a Seahawks fan and was just here posting to start stuff, because I mainly just vented my frustration in the gameday forum because I had nobody else to watch the games with. I kind of got the idea that it was a real time gripe session and cheer session. Sort of like what you'd do with your buddies at the game as far as cheering and mouthing off.

Then I got "set straight" really quick when I believe it was 3 girls who joined the board in succession. They were nice enough, and really sincere hawk fans. They did like to point out their special seats and how they spent all kinds of cash on Seahawks things. Then they patrolled the gameday forum and I can recall seeing Josh Brown kicking it off to the 15 and the guy caught it on a full sprint. I posted something like "Come on Brown... field position is killing us!" Then I got this super long lecture from both of them about what a great guy Josh was, and how I had no idea what it meant to be a fan, and if I wasn't going to support the team, then perhaps I should find somewhere else to go or some other team to root for. I was sort of stunned. This continued for the majority of the season on any road game. I would only go into gameday on home games, because I knew they'd be attending the games. They just spent the whole game calling out everybody who said anything negative in there. Then we'd score a TD and they'd post, "How come Sharkhawk isn't posting about that awesome TD?!" I was always a bit flummoxed. I said I was usually celebrating after a TD doing my TD dance and whatnot, but nothing I could do was right in their minds.

Then of course their boyfriends got into it and just started fighting with me. I have no idea why, but it seemed to center on the fact that I was posting things that bothered their girlfriends. I'd have to say that was some pretty dark time in .NET history. Not because I disliked them or anything else. I just think they had difficulty recognizing what the gameday forum had always been, always will be, and why it disappears after a few days. I wasn't posting that stuff in the main forum. I was just going with the flow during the game.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• DJToys' photo albums! How could anyone forget those?
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• SharkHawk wrote:Maker my words....

Seriously, has anybody fessed up to that, or was that guy legit? Either way, we need him back here NOW! Probably the greatest impact with the fewest posts of any member in the history of message boards.

I'm pretty sure KBowen was legitimate. Such an unfortunately short-lived stay here - his posts were all epic. Or mannnnnnnnnnnn, or rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, whichever. As I recall, he became such an overnight sensation that he completely freaked out when we all, en masse, responded with hilarity and enthusiasm. Not sure it really translated the way it should have.

Golden moments, for sure, though.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Kbowen was legit. I did some Internet research and found he was Chinese living in China mainland.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I just wondered how he came up with the name KBowen and was native Chinese. I remember somebody saying his IP address checked out and such at the time. It just seems like a totally average name, particularly in Utah hick towns where we have a bunch of guys with the last name Bowen or Boren. I've known quite a few, so I just figured it was some guy out here in the mountain west goofing off, but he hadn't thought it out and used his real first initial and last name. Very very interesting. To reach legendary status with so few words. I think the same thing Sailor says... that he thought we were giving him crap, when we were being really encouraging to him to talk Hawks with us and we'd get through it. Les even said he reached out to him through PM and tried to get him to post more, but he seemed pretty mad at us and thought we were mocking him. I was totally loving what he was saying and thought it was cool. LOFA IS RRRRRRRRRRRRR. HASS IS MANNNNN!!! MAKER MY WORDS!!!!

I loved all of those sayings, and I would have loved to have made them into t-shirts. Seriously. Not because they were make-fun-of-worthy, but because they were just cool.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• My all time favorite .net moment was the day I said....

FINALLY......THE TABS HAS COME BACK TO SEAHAWKS.NET!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, that felt good!

A close second all-time favorite moment was constantly explaining why Matt Hasselbeck was an average quarterback. It's been so much fun watching Russell Wilson validate everything I said about him. Wilson hasn't even finished his rookie season, and he's already the best QB in franchise history.

It's great to be back posting again.
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• THE TABS wrote:My all time favorite .net moment was the day I said....

Ah, that felt good!

A close second all-time favorite moment was constantly explaining why Matt Hasselbeck was an average quarterback. It's been so much fun watching Russell Wilson validate everything I said about him. Wilson hasn't even finished his rookie season, and he's already the best QB in franchise history.

Didn't you used to have the Mr. T avatar?

Welcome back.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• I remember being a 15 year old immature boy. Was banned once or twice. Can't believe it's been 10 years.
    Minne
    NET Veteran

• Minne wrote:I remember being a 15 year old immature boy. Was banned once or twice. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

That was just last year.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:That was just last year.

ZING!!!!!!!!
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Tabs. Wow. Hahaha good times.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• THE TABS wrote:My all time favorite .net moment was the day I said....

Ah, that felt good!

Ah shit... there goes the neighborhood. :34853_doh: Time to shut the place down...
    Love ya Les! You're in my thoughts every time I "Check my PM's"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• Anyone remember Seahawk Fan Steve Harper? He was a real joy.
    Yoonhawk
    * NET Attorney *

• Yoonhawk wrote:Anyone remember Seahawk Fan Steve Harper? He was a real joy.

I remember that dude. Left here and started posting on SeahawkSal. I don't think they liked him much either. NewYawk went at it with him. NewYawk was eventually banned because he teed off on everyone.

I think this board and SeahawkSal had some sort of homosexual rivalry. I never got into it.
    Slick
    NET Veteran

• That was my 400th post. The other 399 are just as forgettable.
    Slick
    NET Veteran

• Slick wrote:
    Yoonhawk wrote:Anyone remember Seahawk Fan Steve Harper? He was a real joy.

I remember that dude. Left here and started posting on SeahawkSal. I don't think they liked him much either. NewYawk went at it with him. NewYawk was eventually banned because he teed off on everyone.

I think this board and SeahawkSal had some sort of homosexual rivalry. I never got into it.

newyawkseahawk had an issue with Sal's site and left the site in a huff and hasn't been heard from again.
    Not sure if Steve Harper posts anymore but know that he still goes to Seahawks games.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Raider Jon,,,,,,,,,who among other things was Kitsapguys favorite poster. Bruce at the time was the lead administrator here and he and Ray-Duh Jon had several humourous adventures. Bruce might have called them humourless.

RJ once made the statement "If the Seahawks beat the Ray-Duhs I will give Pithy a sponge bath"

We won that game but I don't think we've ever heard from him again. :D

Once when delivering bagels to Sacred Heart Medical Center at 4:30am I noticed on the inside door of the elevator, "Raider Jon was here".

creepy to the max

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• SharkHawk wrote:I will give you an example from another board. I was a member of a softball board that had about 10,000 active posters. There was this guy that went by the name of Danger Mouse and he would come on and make these long drawn out posts (think of my posts, but times them by about 5). He would just get on a rant and go and go and go. Nobody really knew how to respond to Danger Mouse, but he was such a troll (a knowledgeable one... but still liked to bait people into stuff) that there needed to be a good response. After a while a new poster emerged with the name Safety Cat (get it... opposite of a Danger Mouse) and he wouldn't respond to Danger Mouse directly at first, he would just make super long meandering posts shortly after Danger Mouse did that sort of made every opposite point that DM had just made. Then they got into it directly and it was like the most entertaining war ever. I'd be on that site all day at work just looking for responses.

Did you think it was the same person that created a second account to argue with himself or do you think it was a user who finally got sick of Danger Mouse and decided to troll him.

Safety Cat... Ha ha
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Next

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information