Brandon Coleman. Go and get this guy.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He just scored an 85-yard touchdown on Rutgers first offensive snap vs Louisville tonight. He caught a difficult pass between two defensive backs, then ran away from them. At 6-6, 225lbs. He ran away from smaller defensive backs. At that size.

Wrote about him before here: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/brandon-co ... wks-target

He's a redshirt sophomore but the guy who makes the videos I use is a Rutgers fan. He said a few weeks ago he was expected to return. Now he's saying he thinks he'll declare.

If this team wants the next great NFL wide receiver on it's roster, do what it takes to get this guy. Hands catcher. Run-away speed. Height and reach like nobody other than Megatron.

I'd do a Julio trade to get this guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I remember that article, and the video clips on the guy were amazing. Thanks for the heads up. I'm stuck at work so missing the game :(

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3o7948q2 said:
We don't know that.

I feel pretty confident that they won't.

Don't get me wrong, if Seattle did this I'd sit forward with a shocked but intrigued grin on my face. You've got to think he'd change an offense. But despite how people say that Coleman "screams PC/JS", I flat-out disagree...not on the basis of player philosophy, but on the basis of every other philosophy of theirs. Here's why I don't think Seattle will get Coleman.

1. Because you said they should, Rob. Okay, so this is 100% pure cynicism, but some days I think Pete and John almost get an addictive high off of defying fan suggestions/expectations. Haha.

2. They love their later draft picks. We wouldn't have Lynch, Turbin, or half this defense were it not for fourth-fifth round picks. Pete and John rely on those picks for their talent stream, more than most other teams. They were willing to trade down twice in the first two rounds to procure them, even at the risk of losing valued targets (which they did in the second). If Coleman fell to the second round, they'd be all over him. But I don't see them giving up multiple picks for a redshirt sophomore with questionable effort, especially when you consider...

3. Seattle has invested only casually in anything seriously approaching a star NFL wide receiver. Tate was the highest pick, and he's a role-player mostly there to catch jump balls and screens. Rice is an awesome possession, but he seems largely there for his deep-ball fame and his height (one of the highest YPC's in the conference). Baldwin is a terrific slot receiver, or at least he was, but the fact that Seattle took Korey Toomer and JR Sweezy over him is pretty telling of how PC values traditional receiver tools. Beyond that, PC has been almost lazy in his receiver search. Kris Durham, Ricardo Lockette, Ruskell leftovers, barely using Braylon Edwards (9 snaps a game this year), tossing Terrell Owens aside like nothing, Evan Moore???!! He's been almost blase at the position. I suppose it could be a pattern similar to the QB situation - safe, casual investments before abruptly hitting a home run with someone - but I don't think so. Not with receivers. And here's why:

4. Pete and John are happy with their offense. You keep saying it yourself, this is how they intend to run their offense: 25 throws a game, with receivers who'd better be either a) really tall, b) really fast, c) really Tate-ish, or d) merely decent with the ability to contribute strongly to the run. They're stubbornly clinging to a 25-throws-a-game philosophy that has zero room for a Julio Jones trade for a pure receiver. Trading up for Coleman would strike me as a financially disproportionate move and a total reversal of philosophy...or, on the flipside, a welcome adaptation. I personally think this offense badly needs Brandon Coleman. But Pete shows no sign of agreeing yet. We're questioning whether it has enough firepower to sustain us on the road. Eventually, I do believe their offensive strategy is going to demand broadening and may be the death of them if they don't adapt. But until that happens, Coleman is outside their strategy.

Personally, I don't see him getting drafted by the Seahawks unless he falls to the second round. You said it yourself, we need a defensive tackle first, and you know a defensive-minded coach like Carroll is probably going to agree.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Just a hunch, but if Randy Starks hits the free agent market in March... I think we'll be over that. Miami might have to franchise Jake Long.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really like Soliai (sp?) of Miami, that guy was a monster against our running game.

As for Coleman, I could see them making a trade to move up and get Coleman, not a whole lot of picks but maybe one or two if they can find the right trade partner

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2v44d4zw said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2v44d4zw said:
We don't know that.

I feel pretty confident that they won't.

Don't get me wrong, if Seattle did this I'd sit forward with a shocked but intrigued grin on my face. You've got to think he'd change an offense. But despite how people say that Coleman "screams PC/JS", I flat-out disagree...not on the basis of player philosophy, but on the basis of every other philosophy of theirs. Here's why I don't think Seattle will get Coleman.

1. Because you said they should, Rob. Okay, so this is 100% pure cynicism, but some days I think Pete and John almost get an addictive high off of defying fan suggestions/expectations. Haha.

2. They love their later draft picks. We wouldn't have Lynch, Turbin, or half this defense were it not for fourth-fifth round picks. Pete and John rely on those picks for their talent stream, more than most other teams. They were willing to trade down twice in the first two rounds to procure them, even at the risk of losing valued targets (which they did in the second). If Coleman fell to the second round, they'd be all over him. But I don't see them giving up multiple picks for a redshirt sophomore with questionable effort, especially when you consider...

3. Seattle has invested only casually in anything seriously approaching a star NFL wide receiver. Tate was the highest pick, and he's a role-player mostly there to catch jump balls and screens. Rice is an awesome possession, but he seems largely there for his deep-ball fame and his height (one of the highest YPC's in the conference). Baldwin is a terrific slot receiver, or at least he was, but the fact that Seattle took Korey Toomer and JR Sweezy over him is pretty telling of how PC values traditional receiver tools. Beyond that, PC has been almost lazy in his receiver search. Kris Durham, Ricardo Lockette, Ruskell leftovers, barely using Braylon Edwards (9 snaps a game this year), tossing Terrell Owens aside like nothing, Evan Moore???!! He's been almost blase at the position. I suppose it could be a pattern similar to the QB situation - safe, casual investments before abruptly hitting a home run with someone - but I don't think so. Not with receivers. And here's why:

4. Pete and John are happy with their offense. You keep saying it yourself, this is how they intend to run their offense: 25 throws a game, with receivers who'd better be either a) really tall, b) really fast, c) really Tate-ish, or d) merely decent with the ability to contribute strongly to the run. They're stubbornly clinging to a 25-throws-a-game philosophy that has zero room for a Julio Jones trade for a pure receiver. Trading up for Coleman would strike me as a financially disproportionate move and a total reversal of philosophy...or, on the flipside, a welcome adaptation. I personally think this offense badly needs Brandon Coleman. But Pete shows no sign of agreeing yet. We're questioning whether it has enough firepower to sustain us on the road. Eventually, I do believe their offensive strategy is going to demand broadening and may be the death of them if they don't adapt. But until that happens, Coleman is outside their strategy.

Personally, I don't see him getting drafted by the Seahawks unless he falls to the second round. You said it yourself, we need a defensive tackle first, and you know a defensive-minded coach like Carroll is probably going to agree.
I agree... Somewhat. PC's philosophy is turn over ratio and explosive plays. As a defensive minded coach he wants takeaways and don't give up the big plays. I also think having explosive plays offensively is just as important to him as well. While I'm sure he likes his wr corps now, he's always looking to upgrade. I believe he'll take a wr early.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if Schneider made a huge deal for a high 1st round WR. Green Bay's model is all about hunting for value at WR in rounds 2 and 3. Schneider did just that by taking Tate at the end of round two.

That plus this is another very deep WR class where some very nice options could fall into rounds two or even three. If there was ever a year I'd love to stay put and get a WR, it's a year like this one.

I'm enticed by Coleman's size+speed, but WR is one of the most bust-heavy positions in the draft, and gambling on a developmental WR is one of the riskiest picks you can make. That's why I'd favor a guy like DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen. Hopkins has future NFL 1000 yard WR written all over him, and Allen is a rare player in that he's very athletic, but also savvy and yet still somehow under-rated.

Actually, the more I watch Hopkins the more I think he's going to be the 1st WR off the board. He'll rise just like Tannehill and Martin did, the talent is too self evident to be ignored.

-He's got good size (6'1", 200 lbs)
-He's fast (he was Clemson's kick returner)
-He's shifty in the open field and can change direction without losing much velocity
-He's a natural runner, aka he has the running instincts of a RB
-He was productive on an otherwise unremarkable offense
-He's tenacious after the catch and very tough to bring down, kind of a mini beast-mode
-He fights hard for the football, although his jump ball skills need some work (same thing could be said of Tate and he's done well on deep throws despite that)
-Did I mention he has great catching technique and does the little things extremely well?

I would do cartwheels if Seattle got Hopkins somehow in the late 1st. Him and Coleman would probably be the only two WRs I'd be happy about taking in round 1 at this point. I wouldn't cry if they got Tavon Austin, but I'd feel a lot better about that pick in round 2, which is where I think he'll end up.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I was high on Hunter, but think I prefer Patterson; if he's there for us in the second then I really like the pick, rumour is they'll both declare. I really think Allen's going to be a stud and I'd love it if we got him, but I don't see it happening, we'd probably have to trade up. I know he's injury prone, but QB play has been murdering him, he takes some crazy hits but still ends up with the ball most times.

On topic, Coleman's unique, and it will be interesting to see where he falls. If he's there for us in the first and we take him I'm not sure how I'd feel, but I trust PC and JS, though maybe less so with their 1st rounders...

Thing is, i'm happy with Sidney and Tate, they've grown this year with Russell. So with that in mind, maybe an Austin, or someone similar (that guy at Kent St.) to offer us something different, but I'd rather go get a stud TE if we can't negotiate Miller's contract down.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":1qlnoqp5 said:
I'd be surprised if Schneider made a huge deal for a high 1st round WR. Green Bay's model is all about hunting for value at WR in rounds 2 and 3. Schneider did just that by taking Tate at the end of round two.

That plus this is another very deep WR class where some very nice options could fall into rounds two or even three. If there was ever a year I'd love to stay put and get a WR, it's a year like this one.

I'm enticed by Coleman's size+speed, but WR is one of the most bust-heavy positions in the draft, and gambling on a developmental WR is one of the riskiest picks you can make. That's why I'd favor a guy like DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen. Hopkins has future NFL 1000 yard WR written all over him, and Allen is a rare player in that he's very athletic, but also savvy and yet still somehow under-rated.

Actually, the more I watch Hopkins the more I think he's going to be the 1st WR off the board. He'll rise just like Tannehill and Martin did, the talent is too self evident to be ignored.

-He's got good size (6'1", 200 lbs)
-He's fast (he was Clemson's kick returner)
-He's shifty in the open field and can change direction without losing much velocity
-He's a natural runner, aka he has the running instincts of a RB
-He was productive on an otherwise unremarkable offense
-He's tenacious after the catch and very tough to bring down, kind of a mini beast-mode
-He fights hard for the football, although his jump ball skills need some work (same thing could be said of Tate and he's done well on deep throws despite that)
-Did I mention he has great catching technique and does the little things extremely well?

I would do cartwheels if Seattle got Hopkins somehow in the late 1st. Him and Coleman would probably be the only two WRs I'd be happy about taking in round 1 at this point. I wouldn't cry if they got Tavon Austin, but I'd feel a lot better about that pick in round 2, which is where I think he'll end up.
:13:

cover-2

Reaction score
Schneider and Pete made an strong attempt to acquire Brandon Marshall just a couple of years ago, so I don't think it is out of the question of drafting a player like Coleman. Yes, we are a run first team, but you still need a vertical threat like Coleman to prevent teams from stacking 8 defenders in the box. Sydney Rice is nice, but too injury prone to play a full season.

My personal ranking of WR's for the Seahawks are;
- Brandon Coleman, Rutgers
- DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
- Terrance Williams, Baylor
- Robert Woods, USC - I have started to warm up on the idea of Woods as a Seahawk. I would like to get a WR that can quickly get open and Woods has the acceleration to quickly get open. I think Woods has the quickness, size, and ability to be like former Bengals WR Chad Johnson (when he was in his prime).
- Markus Wheaton, Oregon St - Wheaton is a new prospect that was not on my radar and he might be #2 on my list after I get a better look at him.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Remember guys, PC want's Touchdown-makers. He covets big plays. It was just a week or 2 ago in one of his pressers he mentioned that there's a stat that says if you make a big play during a drive- ie. passes over 20 yards, or runs over 15, your chances of scoring go up dramatically as it really shakes up a defense. Hense the desire to limit big plays on defense.

This whole discussion is very intereting to me. On one hand you have Brandon Coleman- who could be a Mike Williams type big target--- We all know that PC covets this body type at WR. Then you've got guys like Hopkins and Patterson- who are electric stretch the field type of players -- TD-makers. So the question what seems more likely to occur?

Who is most "pro-ready" now? It sounds like Patterson is a developmental guy. We saw guys like that last until the 4th round in this past draft.

Chris Givens whose a good deep threat for the Rams was taken in the 4th, Travis Benjamin was also taken in the 4th by the Browns.

What you also see is a high degree of non-productivity for Rookie WR's. Especially at the top end. Guys like Brian Quick, Alshon Jeffrey, AJ Jenkins. Haven't made much of an impact on their teams.

So I'd like to take a WR in the 1st , only if we don't have to trade up to do so. I hope we take a TE and WR in the first 3 rounds. I would also like to address DT- though I'm curious to hear how PC feels about Scruggs and Howard, perhaps they may be the long term answer that we desire for that position. It just depends on how their development is coming.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Rob Rang ‏@RobRang
Easy to fall in love with Rutgers' rSo WR Brandon Coleman but what good is being 6-6 if you don't high-point ball? Elite talent. Still raw.

I agree with Rob rang here. I am watching their bowl game right now. He looks very talented but still raw.

I wonder if he chooses to declare sometime after this game

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
One catch tonight he didn't high point the ball and then we see that tweet.

So many other occasions on tape this season where he reaches high above a CB to make the play.

JKent82

Reaction score
And I've managed to be looking away whenever Coleman gets the ball except for one drop.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
What about this Brandon Jones guy, pretty good game tonight, perhaps a late pick?

I agree about this Coleman guy, good risk that may pay off down the road. Pretty sure Pete wants a WR with size that can win a jump ball, still raw but we aren't going to get a perfect player where Seattle will be drafting.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I really like Markus Wheaton, but when you mention high point skills I don’t think of him or Keenan Allen. I would be ecstatic if we draft both but maybe I am coveting the wrong type of game changer. Both are fast, but not blazing, incredibly sure handed precision route runners, Wheaton's a more enthusiastic blocker. Aaron Dobson from marshal has legit 4.5 speed and is 6'2 with high point skills and will be available later rounds, or TE Ryan Otten from SJ state, 6'5 4.7 speed great hands under rated small school smart and is a tremendously hard worker, brings the lunch box to the field, very Zach Miller wouldn't mind two of him around. Did anyone else notice that Denard Robinson is listed as a WR? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664499/denard-robinson
Maybe I missed something but I wouldn't mind him as a late round pick up, reminds me of the Sherman pick, because of knowledge of another position before switch. Track speed and elusive, Lockette with skill. Definitely think we need 2 WR in this draft and a couple invites as UDFA. I think Kearse could come along as well he can obviously get open, now to work on that catching problem. If I had a dollar for every time I have screamed at him on TV both with Huskies and Hawks. The trade up seems anti PS JS to me but they seem to surprise me every year and I can honestly say I have only picked 2 people they drafted and they were Golden Tate and Russle Okung and at those positions it was a no brainer, so that’s not saying much. In my defense, I have guessed which position they would draft but that’s not saying much either. I have also learned they have my undying support with who ever they draft period, never again will I scoff at the TV with who? what? I said Mercuilus. I’ll just go look at tape and say work your magic brother, thanks for building a Seattle type team, meaning a ton of guys that don’t belong and are dissed from the start, then they stand up and knock you the F out. Enough babling.