Come On Hawks Fans. We're Better Than This.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
First story sounds 100% fabricated. (maybe an unhappy 49er fan trying to provide bad press for Seattle or a newspaper trying to get some headlines?)

How do you buy 32 tickets together anywhere in Clink Field?

If they did encounter the things they said they did, there is something greatly missing from the stories, IMO.

I have been a season ticket holder for 20+ years and other than very isolated incidents, the kind of things described in the first letter just don't happen, unprovoked, at Seahawks games in Seattle.

GO HAWKS!!!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
It's really a crapshoot. It's almost 70 thousand fans there, and some are gonna be unlucky enough to find that section with the way-too-drunk 20-something males. Every single game I have attended, the opposing fans have experienced, at the most, good natured ribbing, usually followed by conversations about their trip up here. The worst thing I ever witnessed was an EAGLES fan at the Kingdome chucking a FULL 32 ounce pop which smacked into the back of a female seahawks fans head. That fan was dealt with MOST rudely (deservedly so) by a swarm of angry Seahawks fans. He left on his own because he feared for his safety. But that is it. I think we are amongst the best fans around the league, but you just can't weed out the assholes in every single stadium/arena in every sport. I wish we could just shoot 'em, and eventually through attrition these asswipes would just dissapear, but the law frowns on that...damnit!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1ttr2u8q said:
I find it amazing those who defend this kind of crap and claim it doesn't happen. Simply amazing. It happens every game, and you guys continue to blow it off. Sometime soon we're going to have a situation like they had at Dodgers stadium and everybody is going to be up in arms and saying that this kind of crap should never happen in Seattle. Well, guess what... it already does. Luckily nobody has gotten beaten to that point yet. But Ken Hamlin got beaten nearly to death after a game at a club. What's the difference between what happened to him and what happened at Dodgers Stadium? The difference? Sports were involved. That's all. A rivalry.

Hamlin got hit in the head and suffered damage to his brain over a petty little argument fueled by alcohol. What happened in LA? Same thing, but it was at a sporting event. Seattle-ites have shown many times they are capable of such idiocy. So have all cities. On this current route, it's going to happen soon and it's going to be ugly, and you're all going to say that it was "just a couple of idiots" and blah blah blah. Then people stop attending games. Maybe Paul Allen says he doesn't have any interest in owning a team with a fanbase like that. Am I stretching it here? Maybe.... maybe not. I saw what he did with the Blazers after some stuff, and he didn't back down. He just said "enough" fired everybody including players and was ready to sell the entire team. I don't think he'd hesitate to do it again if things like this continue to happen. The whole tough guy act is tired.

You pay opera prices, you don't expect to go to an opera, but you expect people to be civil and for it not to feel like a scene out of Mad Max entering and exiting the stadium.
Who is defending this? I just said I go to plenty of games and have never witnessed any of this. I'm in the 300 level double letters where the bad crowd supposedly are. I've just never seen it...I've seen Seahawks fans yelling "Seahawks!" in opposing teams faces, but never any threats. I also saw 9ers fans walk into the bathroom, unprovoked, yelling "Who's got it better than us?!" And they expect no venom in return? Give me a freaking break. Of course, there's bad apples...but to believe in a group of 36 with 18 9ers and 18 Seahawks fans, they were constantly ridiculed and threatened? How do we know if it was no more than friendly banter? It's just this lady's words stating that every 9er fan she encountered faced the same type of threats as her and her family.

To clarify, I don't condone any of this behavior. I've never seen it, but if I did, I'd try to put a stop to it, because I hate those type of fans.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I didn't say you defended it did I? Feel free to re-read what I posted. I never mentioned you.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1p0fer4l said:
This type of trash story is typical of the seattle times. They give so much press to isolated incidents that happen in every freaking stadium, field and arena in sports and make it as if all Hawk fans are drunken jackasses. The times always tries to smear sports. They did it to the Huskies, they did it to the Arena deal and now it seems like they are rearing their ugly and ridiculous head at us Hawk fans. I really hate that "paper" and the low standards it has.

I don't really care to read the "article" in its entirety, but I'm almost positive I know exactly what it says. I'll pass on that garbage.

I sometimes think the Seattle Times hates Seattle.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've said all that I need to say in this thread. I'm already disappointed by more than a few responses (regardless if they are LPC'ers). Hopefully it's not your friend, wife, girfriend, son, brother, father or mother that's being treated like a child molester for simply wearing the other team's jersey.

I'm done here.

Spounge84

Reaction score
Have to agree with Todd, very disappointed in some of the responses here. This isn't just good natured ribbing or even trash talking. What happened to this lady was verbal harassment.

Seriously, what kind of POS grown man threatens a couple of 14 year old kids?

Throwdown

Reaction score
You can't call out the whole because of a few.

Funny its the Seattle Times though, they hate sports :stirthepot:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Has anyone considered the fact that it's impossible to stop all instances of profanity-laced tirades to opposing fans at a football stadium?

hawker84

Reaction score
well that's one side of the story? would like to hear the other.. if it's true then it's bulls**t..

but to say they'll never go back to seattle and support a city that has fans like that is a bit much, sounds like a some privaledged white collar snoot who needs to thicken the skin.. probably one of those ladies that dresses her poodle in sweaters.

fans are fans, there's bad apples in every bunch... if it was that bad, go get the police or stadium security.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SharkHawk":25d03no7 said:
I didn't say you defended it did I? Feel free to re-read what I posted. I never mentioned you.
You didn't mention anybody

tooshort

Reaction score
two preseasons ago A longtime female hawks fan who had severe back problems told me to sit down repeatedly and I refused, in fact I vehemently refused and cussed her and her husband out in front of her kids...

Of course that story should be told a little differently..but hey.. it gets more hits with the ^^^ content...

The not so short, boring and true version goes: A family bought tickets in a section where nobody sits down (5th row south endzone)..the kids LOVED it..the parents hated it.."how dare the people stand in front of us! WE payed $1000 for these seats"... I stood(with 3 rows standing in front of me), she complained(never once explaining her condition), he threatened me..I laughed..repeated this exercise 15x or so (at about 12x I told them to "shut the up and enjoy the game "in front of their teens/kids).....and then the husband went and found security...

Security came down and (to the husbands utter dismay) asked me " Sir, should we kick THEM out?"

My reply was "nah, It's all good, they're cool,they just don't understand how these seats work"

After that I actually had a normal conversation with the family and found out about the medical condition of the wife...I sat down for every play that didn't draw the "standing Ire" from then on...

They weren't bad people..but they sure as hell came off as the same kind of entitled "woe is me" brats from that first article...

kearly

Reaction score
I attended a couple games in 2007 and didn't return until just this season. I was stunned by the ocean of profanity and negativity for a first place 10-6 team. I know that if you fill a stadium with 67,000 people a few will have issues, but it didn't feel like just a few in 2007.

Quite frankly, the winning brings out the reactionary wife-beater types in droves, or at least exposes them for what they are- degenerates. It would not sadden me one bit to see some of those "fans" spending a night in a jail cell.

Sadly I am not surprised at all by Sarah Brown's story- although I do find it a little horrifying. If it were me, I probably would have gotten my family out of there even sooner than she did.

I thought Rick Turner's essay was spot on. Moderation: it's in rare supply these days. Bench Wilson! Carroll's on the hot seat! The Seahawks are mediocre! Cut Thurmond!

Reading it, it almost sounded as if he was talking about .net directly. I mean I get that this place tends to be reactionary, but this year it's been more knee-jerk than most.

chris98251

Reaction score
Some of us would not be harrassed based on our size and or looks, pretty much a bunch of punk ass bastards that go after women and kids to show how tough a fan they are to begin with.

That being said if we promote a punk bad ass attitude with a team then that is what immature fans will emmulate I think. I don't see that with the Seahawks, I did with the Blazers to a degree. We are a nasty defense and yes Sherman talks but isn't thuggish.

Again some people don't know the difference between the two.

It's shameful that some condone this, I would wonder if they are part of the crowd that is being talked about in the article.

Jumping a guy and kicking and beating him in the concourse and being cheered on? I wonder how many pussified Seattlelites were there calling for a end to pro sports do to violence afterwards to the Seattle City Council rather then step up and say it was wrong or go and get a cop or security or even all three given there must have been hundreds around it.

Much of this sounds like High School crap from people that hve not grown up and think being tough means being a news story from another city. Raider fans have a rep, the San Francisco issues down their may have had some relevance as well.

Because of the fans in those cities that the NFL is doing stuff with to insure a better fan experience. Do we want them controlling our security and setting standards or our stadium as well. Maybe the TSA can search everyone and no posters, banners, or any back packs or seating pads in case you might use it as a weapon. Sobriety tests at the entrances if you appear to have had a drink etc. Many of these ideas ahve come up with how to control crowds. Maybe just cut off all consumption of alcohal in the building period.

The fans dictate what the reaction and what questions will be raised.

Remember that NBA Arena that people wanted, this is the best way to de rail support for it also.

HawkWow

Reaction score
"My son’s friend was wearing an Oregon Ducks rain jacket".

Friends don't let friends wear Oregon Ducks rain jackets.

kearly

Reaction score
But hey, at least we are classier than Jets fans (this never gets old):

[youtube]r4xGGgz5TcI[/youtube]

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Let us just be the best football team, with the classiest fans in the country. Please, that is who we are. Save your rage for cheering on the fantastic product on the field.

Thanks,
Guy that reads and never posts. :)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Nobody is suggesting that the behavior cited in the article should be condoned or tolerated. However, the question being implicitly debated in this thread is whether this is representative of widespread misbehavior on the part of fans. The Seattle Times article provides no support to that line of reasoning because the article suffers from Selection Bias.

There are three reasons why the story provided by the Times cannot be treated as a representative sample.

1. Only fans who have relatively poor experiences are motivated to write letters of complain to newspapers.
2. Of those fans, many are tempted to exaggerate the situation some amount to make it seem more letter worthy.
3. Newspapers do not randomly select experiences to report on because moderate outcomes are not interesting. The media deals in extremes because that is what they deem "newsworthy".

All we know based on the letter is that in the very most extreme case that the Times was able to report, a couple fans may have showed poor sportsmanship on Sunday out of a pool of 70,000 fans. Extrapolating the extreme case to the rest of the stadium is indefensible and is only done by the Times to create a story. That is no reason for us to blow it out of proportion here.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
AgentDib":3hrllsyn said:
Nobody is suggesting that the behavior cited in the article should be condoned or tolerated. However, the question being implicitly debated in this thread is whether this is representative of widespread misbehavior on the part of fans. The Seattle Times article provides no support to that line of reasoning because the article suffers from Selection Bias.

There are three reasons why the story provided by the Times cannot be treated as a representative sample.

1. Only fans who have relatively poor experiences are motivated to write letters of complain to newspapers.
2. Of those fans, many are tempted to exaggerate the situation some amount to make it seem more letter worthy.
3. Newspapers do not randomly select experiences to report on because moderate outcomes are not interesting. The media deals in extremes because that is what they deem "newsworthy".

All we know based on the letter is that in the very most extreme case that the Times was able to report, a couple fans may have showed poor sportsmanship on Sunday out of a pool of 70,000 fans. Extrapolating the extreme case to the rest of the stadium is indefensible and is only done by the Times to create a story. That is no reason for us to blow it out of proportion here barring further information.

Best take on this yet.

Latest posts