Do you WANT the Hawks to Win the NFC West?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I asked this question in the Seahawks-Rams Preview Thread, but since no one's bit yet, thought that I would make this its own thread.

Here's the question to chew on and discuss ...

Do you truly WANT the 49ers to lose today and for the Hawks to win the NFC West this year?

Now before you answer ... really think about this one.

Scenario A: Finishing 2nd in the NFC West to the 49ers and having the 5th Seed (the most likely scenario) means that the Seahawks (in all likelihood) will be facing the Redskins in the 1st Round ... and the Falcons in the 2nd Round.

Scenario B: Winning the NFC West in all likelihood means that the Seahawks will be facing Green Bay AT Lambeau Field after hosting either the Vikings or Bears at Century Link in the 1st Round.

Second Question ...

If you favor Scenario A (the Seahawks being the 5th Seed) ... WHO do you WANT winning the NFC East?

Personally, I like the Seahawks prospects in the 1st Scenario much better. To me, the Redskins look like a good match-up for the Hawks, as RGIII doesn't look like his old self after taking the shot that he did. And I don't care WHAT the Falcons record says -- they look vulnerable to me. It was interesting listening to Dave Wyman on 710 ESPN this week say exactly the same thing. Wyman said that he had heard around that the Falcons were "soft" ... both on offense and on defense. To me, that looks like a plum that's ripe for the plucking. I personally feel that the Hawks would go further in the playoffs NOT winning the NFC West ... as I don't like the prospects of facing Green Bay again after the "Fail Mary" AT Lambeau.

As far as who would I rather play in Scenario A (Redskins or Dallas) ... I'd personally say the Redskins for basically the same reason. It's much easier to face a team for the first time than to have to face a team that you humiliated again on their home turf IMO.

What about you guys? Scenario A or B ... and why?
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Plan B, and there isn't even a question.

I want a home playoff game. The fans deserve it. Plus I am not concerned about match ups. To be the best you gave to beat the best (ric flair) so let's just play em and worry bout it later.
    Last edited by Tech Worlds on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Number one. Do you want the Hawks to get a game at the CLINK or not?
    Number two. If they are good enough to win the Super Bowl, they should not worry about which teams they have to play.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I choose Scenario B.... We go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard.---JFK
    Mandu
    NET Starter

• Tech Worlds wrote:Plan A, and there isn't even a question.

I want a home playoff game. The fans deserve it. Plus I am not concerned about match ups. To be the best you gave to beat the best (ric flair) so let's just play em and worry bout it later.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think plan A gets you a home game.
    Mandu
    NET Starter

• Mandu wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Plan A, and there isn't even a question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think plan A gets you a home game.

Woops! I better edit me post!
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• With scenario B, if Green Bay loses to Minnesota then at any point the Seahawks meet up with them, it would be at the Clink and I love that scenario.

Plan A does seem like the better scenario. I would rather play Dallas/Washington and Atlanta to get to the NFC Championship. I think we match up well against Atlanta and if we come out and punch them in the mouth early, they will fold. I think Matt Ryan would have a tough day against our secondary even in their dome. It would be a great matchup to watch though. Julio Jones and Roddy White are damn good receivers. But the way we're playing right now, I say bring on whoever, whenever, and wherever.
    hawksfanohio
    NET Starter

• Scenario B, Packers do NOT scare me. They are a good team, we are better! We have the running game to back up our MVP caliber QB. We have the better Defense. A game in GB would not be easy by a long shot, but I like our teams chance to win anywhere right now. So why not let our fans enjoy a playoff game before taking this show on th road. Go Hawks!
    It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back
    In the draft, turn nothing into something, still can make that
    Will I
    NET Rookie

• if going to lambeau is so difficult then what makes you think that we won't have to go there for the NFC Championship game should we make it that far?

IMO there's not another team in the NFC playing as well as we are right now, so if WE can't go to Lambeau and win, what makes you think the 49ers could?
    At least if we win the 3rd seed there's a tangible chance of playing the NFC Championship game at home too (beat the Vikings, beat the Packers, 49ers beat the Redskins then the Falcons)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Scenario B. This team is still a better team at home than on the road, so the home game increases the chances to advance in the playoffs.

In addition, who says the Packers will get the 2 seed? I think the Vikings beating Green Bay is a far more likely scenario than the Cards beating San Francisco today. If the Cards can pull off the upset, the Vikes sure as hell can.

All that said, I definitely see the allure of the 5 seed. I'd rather face Dallas if we had to go that route. Their stadium is full of fair-weather fans who don't truly provide a HFA, and their O-line is subpar. Romo may have been on fire recently, but he hasn't faced a defense and secondary as challenging as ours in that stretch. And going to play Atlanta is fine by me. They've got the same fan situation as Dallas (except worse) and the Falcons have yet to show they know how to finish.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• You play to win the game. You win the games to win championships.

I want to win the division. We can't do it on our own now, but we can do our part. More flags in the rafters, guys.

Besides, right now our only counter to the "5 gold rings" BS is to win the division over the Niners.

The only reason we care about who we face next is game planning. No fear of anybody, anywhere.

:th2thumbs:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Da hell kinda question is that? hell yeah I want the division I also want the 2nd seed too!

I don't get why every ones so scared of the Packers, you guys really think they'll be so motivated because Po' wittle Arianna Rodgers got her feewings huwt? Give a damn! we'll take them and anyone else that is in our way!

Plus like Tech said, the fans deserve it.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Win out baby.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• This is not even close.

Winning the division not only gets us one home game, but it puts us a second round win away from hosting the NFC title game if Atlanta gets upset in the divisional round.

I've accepted that we're probably just going to be a wildcard, and I think we'll do just fine from that spot, but in no way is that my desired result.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• sutz wrote:You play to win the game. You win the games to win championships.

I want to win the division. We can't do it on our own now, but we can do our part. More flags in the rafters, guys.

Besides, right now our only counter to the "5 gold rings" BS is to win the division over the Niners.

The only reason we care about who we face next is game planning. No fear of anybody, anywhere.

:th2thumbs:

Oh I don't "fear" anybody and think the Hawks could take care of business regardless. I find it funny somehow listening to some of the national pundits talk about the Seahawks ... and when they do the "Fail Mary" often seems to come up in discussions. It's interesting how those experts who want to focus on the "Fail Mary" seem to overlook the Patriot Paddling ... the Bear Beat-Down ... and the San Francisco Slaughter. Hmm. No those games proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that this team can beat anyone and can win anywhere. I'm just looking for the path of least resistance to the Super Bowl.

themunn wrote:if going to lambeau is so difficult then what makes you think that we won't have to go there for the NFC Championship game should we make it that far?

Playing the Packers at Lambeau (I believe) is probably unavoidable. I'd just rather that they beat on the Niners FIRST before the Hawks face them ... than for the Hawks to face them first. That's just me. I contend that the road to the NFC Championship is more than likely going through Lambeau.

volsunghawk wrote:Scenario B. This team is still a better team at home than on the road, so the home game increases the chances to advance in the playoffs.

In addition, who says the Packers will get the 2 seed? I think the Vikings beating Green Bay is a far more likely scenario than the Cards beating San Francisco today. If the Cards can pull off the upset, the Vikes sure as hell can.

Agreed that we're far better at home. Obviously. It's just that I see Scenario A as being the path of least resistance to the SB.

As far as the Vikings are concerned -- after losing Percy Harvin, I see that one as highly unlikely unless the Packers decide to Pack it in for some reason today. It's more likely than the Cards beating the 49ers ... but the Vikings prospects are far from great today.
    Last edited by Hawkscanner on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• One game at a time, don't care how they get there, just please get there :180670: :3:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

• How many times have the titans been blown out this year Cant wait to show gb our new offensr but i would rather not hsve a bye the only thing i fear is losing our momentum
    hawxfreak
    NET Practice Squad

• hawxfreak wrote:How many times have the titans been blown out this year Cant wait to show gb our new offensr but i would rather not hsve a bye the only thing i fear is losing our momentum

And THAT also plays in to my thinking there about NOT getting the #2 Seed (if that were to somehow happen). The Dolphins game is a prime example of exactly how Byes can be momentum killers.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

Agreed that we're far better at home. Obviously. It's just that I see Scenario A as being the path of least resistance to the SB.

As far as the Vikings are concerned -- after losing Percy Harvin, I see that one as highly unlikely unless the Packers decide to Pack it in for some reason today. It's more likely than the Cards beating the 49ers ... but the Vikings prospects are far from great today.

It's not like the Packers have an outstanding run defense. With Adrian Peterson going for the single-season rushing record, I could see the Vikings benefiting from that in several ways. Either the Pack sells out to stop him (which is hard enough) and the Vikes take advantage as they did against Houston, or they do indeed feed Peterson and he has a monster day. Both perfectly plausible scenarios - and much more likely than Brian Hoyer taking the 49ers down in San Fran.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm happy with A or B. I'm just glad the Seahawks are winning and playing strong football going into the post season.
    Last edited by SeahawkGeoff on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
    SeahawkGeoff
    NET Practice Squad

• volsunghawk wrote:It's not like the Packers have an outstanding run defense. With Adrian Peterson going for the single-season rushing record, I could see the Vikings benefiting from that in several ways. Either the Pack sells out to stop him (which is hard enough) and the Vikes take advantage as they did against Houston, or they do indeed feed Peterson and he has a monster day. Both perfectly plausible scenarios - and much more likely than Brian Hoyer taking the 49ers down in San Fran.

Oh sure -- I agree with that in principle. To me though, that's a bit like asking, "Which is easier -- finding a needle in a barn full of hay ... OR finding an individually marked grain of sand on the beach?" Both scenarios seem unlikely to me -- but slight edge to the Vikings, I guess.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Goal #1.

Win your division.

That is all.

Disssssssssssssssssssssssssmissed!
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• LudwigsDrummer wrote:Goal #1.

Win your division.

That is all.

And Pete Carroll agrees with you completely there. The problem is that the Hawks didn't do their job during the season ... so don't have the #1 Seed and don't fully control their destiny when it comes to the division. Therefore (I think), you do have at least a bit of a debate here. The question really is, "Which Scenario do you honestly believe gives the Hawks the best chance of getting deep in to the playoffs -- and ultimately to the Super Bowl?"
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    LudwigsDrummer wrote:Goal #1.

Win your division.

That is all.

And Pete Carroll agrees with you completely there. The problem is that the Hawks didn't do their job during the season ... so don't have the #1 Seed and don't fully control their destiny when it comes to the division. Therefore (I think), you do have at least a bit of a debate here. The question really is, "Which Scenario do you honestly believe gives the Hawks the best chance of getting deep in to the playoffs -- and ultimately to the Super Bowl?"

And that's clearly the one that sets you up with a decent chance at two home playoff games as long as you keep winning.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    LudwigsDrummer wrote:Goal #1.

Win your division.

That is all.

Few people are agreeing with ya dude. Lol
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Really, this is a question? Whether we want to win the division? C'mon, man!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Hawkscanner wrote:Scenario A: Finishing 2nd in the NFC West to the 49ers and having the 5th Seed (the most likely scenario) means that the Seahawks (in all likelihood) will be facing the Redskins in the 1st Round ... and the Falcons in the 2nd Round.

Scenario B: Winning the NFC West in all likelihood means that the Seahawks will be facing Green Bay AT Lambeau Field after hosting either the Vikings or Bears at Century Link in the 1st Round.

The problem with these scenarios is they ignore the potential NFC Championship matchups. In scenario A, the likely NFCCG will have us going on the road to face Green Bay or San Francisco. In scenario B, we would likely either go to Atlanta or get the 49ers at home. So even if you think scenario A gives an easier first two games (I don't), it would have a much tougher NFC Championship game.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• We should just lose now to guarantee the 5th seed!
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Few people are agreeing with ya dude. Lol

And I find it a bit surprising that it's been that one sided honestly. Oh well though ... this is honestly a moot point because beyond what the Seahawks do against the Rams today ... they control absolutely nothing else. What Green Bay, San Francisco, the Cardinals, the Vikings, the Redskins, the Cowboys, and the Bears do is totally out of Seattle's control.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Win the Division...don't care who or where we play.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• JesterHawk wrote:We should just lose now to guarantee the 5th seed!

Just think, if we'd have lost another couple, we wouldn't have to worry about any of those extra hard games!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    JesterHawk wrote:We should just lose now to guarantee the 5th seed!

Just think, if we'd have lost another couple, we wouldn't have to worry about any of those extra hard games!

Better Draft picks too!
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• Sorry but I'm past all this "what if" bullshit.

I WANT the Hawks to win the next game they are playing until there are no more games to play in this season.

Is that clear enough?

:141847_bnono:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Either way we win.
    Daddy Love
    NET Bench Warmer

• The Radish wrote:Sorry but I'm past all this "what if" bullshit.

I WANT the Hawks to win the next game they are playing until there are no more games to play in this season.

Is that clear enough?

I was just curious to see how people felt ... and I most certainly have found out.

I completely agree -- today all the "What If's" start turning in to "What IS's". Today the questions start getting answered.

I'm with you -- win until you possibly can't win any more. That's where I'm at. Personally, I'm no longer concerned with this team's ability to win on the road in a hostile environment anymore -- and that's a very good thing to see. One way or another, hopefully we're still hanging around in February and having ourselves a Mardis Gras party.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• CLINK > OPPOSITION
    Week 1 of the preseason vs. The Tennessee Titans, I said the Seahawks were winning the superbowl...

"Oh and by the way, Go Hawks!!!" Russel Wilson
    skater18000
    NET Veteran

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Sorry but I'm past all this "what if" bullshit.

Is that clear enough?

I was just curious to see how people felt ... and I most certainly have found out.

I completely agree -- today all the "What If's" start turning in to "What IS's". Today the questions start getting answered.

I'm with you -- win until you possibly can't win any more. That's where I'm at. Personally, I'm no longer concerned with this team's ability to win on the road in a hostile environment anymore -- and that's a very good thing to see. One way or another, hopefully we're still hanging around in February and having ourselves a Mardis Gras party.

The point is, you posed a question that traded the possibility of another division title and at least one guaranteed home playoff game for the assumption that we would beat Dallas/Washington but not Green Bay. There may be some statistical edge favoring that, but it's hardly set in stone. In a few weeks, under "Scenario B", what do you think the reaction would be if we get the 5th seed and go to lose in Dallas or Washington? Everyone here would be gnashing their teeth, saying if only we'd have won the division, we'd be Super Bowl bound, instead of back home watching.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Hawkscanner wrote: The question really is, "Which Scenario do you honestly believe gives the Hawks the best chance of getting deep in to the playoffs -- and ultimately to the Super Bowl?"

Winning the division and playing at home.

Winning 3 road playoff games in a row would be much more difficult than 1 home and 2 road playoff games IMO.

And as has already been mentioned, we will probably have to win at GB at some point anyway to get to the Super Bowl so why not take the easier road to GB, a home game.
    Marshawn Lynch wrote:yeah
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• This team fears no one, home or away. Win the division, deflate the niners and their whiny fans even more.

Seattle Seahawks, 2012 NFC West champions by the end of the day? Sounds good to me!

Go Tards!! :thirishdrinkers:

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• The Radish wrote:Sorry but I'm past all this "what if" bullshit.

Is that clear enough?

I understood it, which should worry you Les :shock: :mrgreen:
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• grizbob wrote:
    The Radish wrote:Sorry but I'm past all this "what if" bullshit.

Is that clear enough?

I understood it, which should worry you Les :shock: :mrgreen:

Oh man,,,,, :cry:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Would there be a sweeter victory this season than going to Green Bay and putting a San Francisco style beating on their asses?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• The falcons are definitely a better match up, but I'm not turning down a division crown and hanging the flag from the rafters. And i want our young guys (and fans) to experience a home playoff game
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Scenario B. Rewards the team and fans for a great season.

Scenario A is more likely and if this team is as good as we all think, they get to show it by winning on the road in an amped up playoff environment.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• AbsolutNET wrote:The falcons are definitely a better match up, but I'm not turning down a division crown and hanging the flag from the rafters. And i want our young guys (and fans) to experience a home playoff game

:13: :229031_victory: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I gotta say, I don't really get why everyone thinks it will be all that much easier to win in ATL than in GB. I'm not buying all this "paper tiger" crap, the Falcons are a damn good team.
    Marshawn Lynch wrote:yeah
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information