Why so many firings? Russell Wilson part of reason why

Seeker

Reaction score
"RUSSELL WILSON: why didn't you think of that!?" LOL

gargantual

Reaction score
I'm sure Jon Gruden's prognostications during the draft will factor into his receiving one of the just opened head coaching gigs. Noone I heard (other than Kearly :) ) was more of a Wilson advocate from early on.

sutz

Reaction score
IMHO, it has as much to do with the basic philosophy of how to build a team as anything else. We had that argument here ad infinitum. What do you do?

1. Do you draft a "franchise QB" and build a team around him?

or

2. Do you build a team that can hold it's own and win a few games and then look for "that guy" to lead it.

Most teams go with option 1, because "It's just so hard to find that guy so you have to grab him when you have the chance." PC&JS went option 2 and it's paying off this year, and presumably into the forseeable future.

It seems that most people who think in category 1 also have a strong feeling, nurtured over many years, of jealousy for other teams that have players like the Peyton Mannings and John Elways and whomever, the list goes on and on. I've felt it myself, all Seahawks fans deal with that. ;)

Those who favor option 2 are called wimps because they "fear" to make the move to get that Number 1 guy, because they point out how many times teams are hamstrung by mistakes at the high end of the draft board, with guys making huge salaries they don't deserve while playing like crap and losing tons of games.

I was with P&J when they refused to go against their own basic strategy and take a "sexy" pick at QB over some less sexy picks like O-line and LB. But they've built a real team, and Wilson walked into a situation that all QBs would dream of, IMO. We already had a good running game and a solid D in place and growing and improving when Russ took his first snap. We were able to nurture him and bring him along slowly (too slowly, perhaps) so he wasn't shell-shocked or injured early in his career and developed quite nicely. Russ has put up some pretty good numbers for a QB on a "run first" team, don't you think?

We've set an example of how to build a team that I'm afraid many owners still won't support, because our methods don't get the high media exposure players that they think puts butts in the seats. In the end, though, nothing puts fans in the stands like consistantly winning games and trips to the playoffs.

We've done well. :)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HansGruber":27hcnlz7 said:
......If you had cancer, would you hire a doctor that was aware of every possible treatment and who was willing to explore those treatment options? Or would you choose the guy who always goes by the book, never tries anything, and isn't aware of the most current research?........
Thank you, but I'll pass on Tim Ruskell as my doctor.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
How many teams that passed on Flynn, will now maybe give him a second look, because Pete and John scooped him up with the likely intention of making him the starter?
At the time we got Flynn, there was NO guarantee that we'd get Wilson, let alone to haveing Wilson shake out the starting job.
With all the HC, AND GM fireings, will some of those teams be in the bidding for Flynn now?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If you are the Eagles, the Chiefs, the Jets, the Cardinals, the Bills, even the Bucs, Chargers ... wouldn't you want to take a look?
Poor QB play is a guarantee for failure in this league. Just ask Romeo Crenel ( Kansas City) or Norv Turner ( San Diego ) or the Arizona Cards (AZ)....
scutterhawk":weqorcx0 said:
How many teams that passed on Flynn, will now maybe give him a second look, because Pete and John scooped him up with the likely intention of making him the starter?
At the time we got Flynn, there was NO guarantee that we'd get Wilson, let alone to haveing Wilson shake out the starting job.
With all the HC, AND GM fireings, will some of those teams be in the bidding for Flynn now?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":fodsulf6 said:
If you are the Eagles, the Chiefs, the Jets, the Cardinals, the Bills, even the Bucs, Chargers ... wouldn't you want to take a look?
Poor QB play is a guarantee for failure in this league. Just ask Romeo Crenel ( Kansas City) or Norv Turner ( San Diego ) or the Arizona Cards (AZ)....
scutterhawk":fodsulf6 said:
Yeah, that was my point exactly, and with that in mind, Flynn's value should garner some intrest in trade, when draft time comes rolling around.
There are a couple of real possible QB gems in this draft, but there are fewer Quarterbacks available than needed or even available to upgrade around the League.
Would a third round swap for Flynn be possible there?
Could have put this in the Flynn thread, but with all the HC and GM fireings, I thought it more pertinent to the discussion here.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":19n499a6 said:
twisted_steel2":19n499a6 said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795520/gene-smith-jacksonville-jaguars-fired

The Jaguars fired general manager Gene Smith on Monday

Draft 2012
3rd Round 70th Pick Bryan Anger Punter Jaguars
3rd Round 75th Pick Russell Wilson QB Seahawks

Hhhhhmmmmm?? LOL

Jaguar FO: "Wow, He must really kick the hell out of the ball with a name like that." "That short quarterback is still available?" "Nah, Let's go with the angry punter he'll fit in perfect."

You guys are missing something. The only thing the Jaguars do is punt. It's not going to change when they sign Tebow.

chris98251

Reaction score
More importnat then who and when is whether the guy you target fits your system or maybe more important yet will you adapt it to fit him.

We have flexed how we do stuff with Wilson yet still maintained our core principles of running the ball.

Many Front offices go after the name guy but don't look at how he fits in their system and or will say they can fix him or change him to fit it. FAILURE.

Montana had a system that was adapted for him, Manning in both Indy and now Denver has a system catered to his skill sets. Only guy that I see that has been system dictated is Brady. Brees is also a guy that they adapted a system for his skill set. It could be looked at in many places through out the years. Inflexible coaches and GM's that don't understand the offense they are adding players to or Coaches that can't adapt fail.

themunn

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1eg9xnpu said:
You guys are missing something. The only thing the Jaguars do is punt. It's not going to change when they sign Tebow.

Can you imagine Wilson with a player like Blackmon to throw the ball to??

OH MY

-The Glove-

Reaction score
gargantual":2s3f0uue said:
I'm sure Jon Gruden's prognostications during the draft will factor into his receiving one of the just opened head coaching gigs. Noone I heard (other than Kearly :) ) was more of a Wilson advocate from early on.
Matt Williamson