Chip Kelly: The most interesting man in college football.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Pretty good article here if you're interested:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... e-football

Is Kelly the most interesting man in the world? Pause for a moment before chortling over our potential hyperbole, for Kelly has packed a lot into his 52-game tenure at Oregon, including 45 victories. He has run with the bulls in Pamplona. He has led the Ducks to three Pac-12 titles and four BCS bowl games. He has done humanitarian work in Africa. He has produced Oregon's first Rose Bowl victory in 95 years. He has visited U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Inquiries that Kelly doesn't like might get one-word answers, clichéd responses or snappy rejoinders that belittle his inquisitors. Questions that engage him, however, receive full and thoughtful treatment. Consider this response from an ESPN story on Kelly's trip to Africa, when he worked with adolescent girls who had no idea who he was.

"The real heroes are the little girls in Africa who are trying to better themselves so they can help their families," he said. "When I hear a coach say, 'We're grinding.' I'm like: You're sitting in a room with air conditioning watching videotape. That's not grinding."

Yet he arrives at the Fiesta Bowl amid swirling rumors that he's about to leave for his pick of available NFL jobs. Asked about his NFL ambitions this week, he gave a 235-word answer that essentially said "no comment."

"My heart is to win the day, and that’s it," he concluded. "I know everybody wants to hear a different answer, and I know at times when I don’t give you guys the answer you guys want, then I’m being evasive. I’m not being evasive. My job is to coach the University of Oregon football team, and I love doing it. And that’s what I’m going to do.”

As a Duck fan I love the dude. He's my all time favorite coach. (i'm lucky that both of my favorite teams have amazing head coaches at the moment). I expect him to be in the NFL next year and I expect him to succeed. If we didnt already have Pete Carroll there is nobody else i'd rather have coaching the Seahawks. The only thing that might keep him in college is the fact that he probably doesnt want to have to deal with all the media b.s. that NFL coaches have to go thru. And there's a possibility that he might want to stick it out wtih Mariota, DAT and Thomas Tyner and see if he can win a national title before he makes the move up. But i'd put it at about 90% he'll be in the NFL next season.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm very curious to see where he goes next year. Philly offers the better overall org, owner, tradition. BUT, Carolina may offer Kelly the QB with whom he'd rather design an offense around. The sleeper is Cleveland - that's a team I could coach to 8 wins - Weeden or not. That job maybe too enticing to turn down.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like him. And I think he is going to bomb in the NFL.

pehawk

Reaction score
I thini his chance to succeed mayve been that Bucs job. The NFL may have to brush up on Kelly type offense this postseason. So, he mayve waited a year too long.

But, if like Jsea and Brock Huard say, Kelly's just a good football coach. Then, he should be able to walk into Cleveland and grab minimum of 9 wins. Any good coach can. Which is why I wouldn't be shocked to see Saban jump there, if he ever wanted to get back to NFL.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":17741f2n said:
I'm very curious to see where he goes next year. Philly offers the better overall org, owner, tradition. BUT, Carolina may offer Kelly the QB with whom he'd rather design an offense around. The sleeper is Cleveland - that's a team I could coach to 8 wins - Weeden or not. That job maybe too enticing to turn down.

Most Duck fans, at least the ones who arent in denial and think he's going to stay, think Philly will be the place. There are quite a few rumors that conversations have already taken place between the two sides. He's a northeast guy so that makes sense, but I cant imagine him putting up with the Philadelphia media.

Chip Kelly and Cam Newton would be amazing together. If i were Chip, thats where I would want to end up.

Cleveland is intriguing other then the fact that its Cleveland. Weeden ran a similar spread style, fast paced offense at Oklahoma State, although his was based on a pass heavy theme while Chips is more of a run heavy theme. Trent Richardson would be filthy in a Chip Kelly Oregon style offense.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":37d2z9ly said:
I like him. And I think he is going to bomb in the NFL.

I am far less certain. Granted, his tactic of exploiting college level athletes won't fly in the NFL.

Why am I upbeat about Kelly in the NFL? He is like Pete in that he thinks outside the box so that he can exploit market inefficiencies. And like Pete he is an intellectual at heart. If given a long enough leash, and a savvy GM partner, I could envision great things in time.

If he goes to a team like the Eagles, there is even a decent chance he could be successful without waiting too long. I know Vick can't stay healthy, but Vick + McCoy + Brown + Kelly could do bad things to NFL defenses. Foles doesn't fit the mold, but he didn't fit the Andy Reid mold either and has shown promise despite that.

Carolina is his best option though- if he can get it. Cam Newton is so rare because QBs with his profile almost never stay healthy like he does. It will be fun watching Carolina turn into one of the NFL's best rushing offenses next year after Kelly adds a couple of no name RBs in the 6th and 7th round and turns them into star contributors.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The only ones in denial are the ones who think Chip will just take an NFL job. He won't. He will only go to the NFL with a Pete like deal, meaning full control of everything. The eagles aren't that job. Philly is a crappy job anyways, with crap fans.

JSeahawks":3kr57vpz said:
pehawk":3kr57vpz said:

Most Duck fans, at least the ones who arent in denial and think he's going to stay, think Philly will be the place. There are quite a few rumors that conversations have already taken place between the two sides. He's a northeast guy so that makes sense, but I cant imagine him putting up with the Philadelphia media.

Chip Kelly and Cam Newton would be amazing together. If i were Chip, thats where I would want to end up.

Cleveland is intriguing other then the fact that its Cleveland. Weeden ran a similar spread style, fast paced offense at Oklahoma State, although his was based on a pass heavy theme while Chips is more of a run heavy theme. Trent Richardson would be filthy in a Chip Kelly Oregon style offense.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Another possibility i thought of Arizona. Geno Smith should be sitting there when they draft. That would be a pretty good match.

Atradees

Reaction score
I wish him the best. It would be interesting to see him in the pros. He is a character. His program was at least partially built prior to his arrival by Mike Belloti.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
@JasonLaCanfora: I'm getting the sense more and more than Kelly stays at Oregon, but we shall see. Also expect Andy Reid to end up with the Cards job

Latest posts