Trent Williams or Russell Okung?

washmont

Reaction score
They both made the probowl, so I don't think there is much of difference.

SkinsFan46

Reaction score
Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
SkinsFan46":21hfi9op said:
Okung didn't fit the Zone blocking scheme. If we were a power run team, we probably would have went with Okung. Trent Williams was the perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme which is exactly why Shanahan drafted him over Okung. You don't draft a player higher just because Mel Kiper and Todd McShay says he's a higher rated player. You draft people that will fit your scheme.

You do realize that Okung was drafted for a ZBS in Seattle, right?

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3e6li5bh said:
SkinsFan46":3e6li5bh said:

you do run the ZBS now, but i thought that Okung was drafted prior to Carol's arrival . . . i could be wrong . . . either way, they are both real good tackles!!

drdiags

Reaction score
For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.

SkinsFan46

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":p1ibucs2 said:
SkinsFan46":p1ibucs2 said:

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that they were running a ZBS in Carrol's first year. I knew they had ran some ZBS prior to that.

Either way, they both made the pro-bowl. Looks like a push to me.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
SkinsFan46":1vf8fh28 said:
Sarlacc83":1vf8fh28 said:
SkinsFan46":1vf8fh28 said:

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that they were running a ZBS in Carrol's first year. I knew they had ran some ZBS prior to that.

Either way, they both made the pro-bowl. Looks like a push to me.

Seahawks brought in Alex Gibbs to implement his ZBS that year before the unexpected retirement. (There were rumors that he butted heads with Jeremy Bates, but that was never confirmed.)

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
drdiags":xb3lzfru said:
For both fan bases, this could be like a Pace vs Jones question. With Okung making it through a regular season, it probably helps many with their fears about him staying healthy. I don't know if there is a correct answer. Both seem to be coming along nicely.
I agree with this. I'm sure glad we ended up with Jones and the Rams were happy about Pace. I think this is a very similar situation.

themunn

Reaction score
drdiags":3gdougb7 said:

question?

NO QUESTION

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
themunn":6s06nxsn said:
drdiags":6s06nxsn said:

question?

NO QUESTION

This,
question?
sure looks like a question to me.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I like our guy. Did before the draft, too.

I'm not part of the think tank around here re. the draft, nor do I aspire to be. But sometimes I know what I want and I get it right. In that draft I hoped Trent and Berry would go first leaving us with Okung and ET.

I got my wishes on that day.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I remember reading that the Hawks staff viewed Trent Williams as the superior prospect for the ZBS because he was supposedly faster and more athletic than Okung. I am not at all familiar with Williams' pro career so I cannot comment on him now, but I know that a healthy Okung gives you a well-rounded tackle who is proficient in every way, and I am thrilled we have him.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SkinsGuru":2i1zkbdd said:
Sarlacc83":2i1zkbdd said:
SkinsFan46":2i1zkbdd said:

you do run the ZBS now, but i thought that Okung was drafted prior to Carol's arrival . . . i could be wrong . . . either way, they are both real good tackles!!

Actually he was PC first draft pick. We had 2-1st round picks in 2010 due to Denver's ill-advised trade with Seattle the previous year by Josh McDaniels. We gave them a 2nd round pick (Alphonso Smith- a CB who only lasted 1 year in Denver, only to be shipped off to Detroit)

Both have proven to be good players and picks for their respecitive teams.