OT: Good riddance Killer Ray (Lewis set to retire).

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Lewis was one of the greatest, but I for one won't miss his holier than thou, sanctimonious BS. His "greatness" will steal headlines for the rest of the season. We will hear tales of what a wonderful, god fearing man he is. Sharpton will no doubt compare him to MLK. Nobody will dare mention the time he and his thug buddies (likely) murdered two kids. That Ray Lewis should also be remembered. The following is a partial account of what took place (for those too young to remember or others that may not recall):

"Following a Super Bowl XXXIV party in Atlanta on January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. Lewis and two companions, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting, were questioned by Atlanta police, and eleven days later the three men were indicted on murder and aggravated assault charges. The white suit Lewis was wearing the night of the killings has never been found. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard alleged that the bloodstained suit was dumped in a garbage bin outside a fast food restaurant.[36]
Lewis' attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, of the Atlanta law firm Garland, Samuel & Loeb, negotiated a plea agreement with Howard, the Fulton County District Attorney, where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.[12] Lewis admitted that he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings. Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation, the maximum sentence for a first-time offender;[37] and he was fined $250,000 by the NFL, which was believed to be the highest fine levied against an NFL player for an infraction not involving substance abuse.[38] Under the terms of the sentence, Lewis could not use drugs or alcohol during the duration of the probation.
Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.[39] No other suspects have ever been arrested for the crime.
The following year, Lewis was named Super Bowl XXXV MVP. However, the signature phrase "I'm going to Disney World!" was given instead to quarterback Trent Dilfer.
On April 29, 2004, Lewis reached a settlement with four-year-old India Lollar, born months after the death of her father Richard, preempting a scheduled civil proceeding. Lewis also reached an undisclosed settlement with Baker's family".

docj78

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding everyone of this. The guy is a major scuzzbag IMHO, and if you or I had committed his crime, we'd still be behind bars. Ray Carruth was a good player too, I put them both in the same camp.

docj78

Reaction score
baltimoreravens":2h7uwhxv said:
Really? You sound like Steelers fans.

Seahawks fan for over 30 years. Ray Lewis is a dirtbag. I'm glad the people of Baltimore have such high morals that they can rally behind a person like him, I really am. Of course, considering the murder rate in Baltimore, it's not shocking......

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This thread is loaded with class and forgiveness.

Joey13091

Reaction score
I've only been following the NFL for 8 years. This is actually the first time I've heard about that. Damn. Makes me lose the respect I had for him.

Shaz

Reaction score
Yeah I know all the circumstances of this and I don't think Lewis is a scumbag

The OP wants to paint him as some ravaging lunatic and hey that's your prerogative but honestly I'm not going to throw stones when I'm not perfect myself

Gonna miss his passion for the game

No one knows what happened that night and if you think he's guilty so be it, I don't and I honestly don't care

VHawk

Reaction score
You can read into to the legal affidavit all you want you were not there and can only assume up on your moral high horse that he is guilty.For me Ray Lewis is a living legend as a football player I dont see how you could hate the way he played the game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seedhawk":3dzmhryl said:
Scottemojo":3dzmhryl said:
This thread is loaded with class and forgiveness.

Crawl back under you're(sic) favorite rock.

You're correct, crimes of yore should never be forgiven until a jury of your peers has had their say. Wait a tic, they did?

ivotuk

Reaction score
So forgive and forget? Why? Because Lewis plays football? What about the families of the deceased? Should they're hurt and loss also be summarily dismissed? If Ray Lewis testified against his friends, then he was involved.

Roethlisberger was never convicted either, so maybe we shuold sing his praises. Is a football players fame and fortune more valuable than a "civilians" life?

There is way too much evidence against Ray and Ben, but they zre both worshiped by their fans. And who was the WR that killed a pedestrian with his car? Apparently the pedestrian was jaywalking so it's all good.

Why is there no uproar when things like this happen? Why is it no big deal to kill someone with a car while drinking but all hell breaks loose if someone is killed by a gun? And why were the headlines about the murder/suicide in KC focused on Belcher? Again, it's all about the gun, just ask Bob Costas who said "If we didn't have guns, Belcher and his Girlfriend would still be alive. Tell that to Nicole Brown, tell that to the deceased Dallas Cowboy, tell that to Jerome Brown's nephew who died in his car.

I don't think enough was done to prosecute the deaths where NFL players are involved and frankly, it is disgusting.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ivotuk":3zwmf519 said:
So forgive and forget? Why? Because Lewis plays football? What about the families of the deceased? Should they're hurt and loss also be summarily dismissed? If Ray Lewis testified against his friends, then he was involved.

Roethlisberger was never convicted either, so maybe we shuold sing his praises. Is a football players fame and fortune more valuable than a "civilians" life?

There is way too much evidence against Ray and Ben, but they zre both worshiped by their fans. And who was the WR that killed a pedestrian with his car? Apparently the pedestrian was jaywalking so it's all good.

Why is there no uproar when things like this happen? Why is it no big deal to kill someone with a car while drinking but all hell breaks loose if someone is killed by a gun? And why were the headlines about the murder/suicide in KC focused on Belcher? Again, it's all about the gun, just ask Bob Costas who said "If we didn't have guns, Belcher and his Girlfriend would still be alive. Tell that to Nicole Brown, tell that to the deceased Dallas Cowboy, tell that to Jerome Brown's nephew who died in his car.

I don't think enough was done to prosecute the deaths where NFL players are involved and frankly, it is disgusting.

What any of us think is immaterial. We weren't there, and I for one don't know what happened. But people who were there, and a jury of his peers, had a big trial and everything and they examined the evidence and did not convict. Every thing else is conjecture and assumption of guilt or innocence.

As for the rest, why Ray Lewis has to pay for your outrage over what you think other people got away with I don't know. Your examples are such a mish mash of different circumstances I won't even begin to get into it.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I love him personally. He's a fun dude to watch play and to be honest i dont really care if pro athletes are good people or not, they're not my role models, they're just entertainment.

Basis4day

Reaction score
HawkWow":2zdhwpf4 said:
Lewis was one of the greatest, but I for one won't miss his holier than thou, sanctimonious BS. His "greatness" will steal headlines for the rest of the season. We will hear tales of what a wonderful, god fearing man he is. Sharpton will no doubt compare him to MLK. Nobody will dare mention the time he and his thug buddies (likely) murdered two kids. That Ray Lewis should also be remembered. The following is a partial account of what took place (for those too young to remember or others that may not recall):

"Following a Super Bowl XXXIV party in Atlanta on January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. Lewis and two companions, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting, were questioned by Atlanta police, and eleven days later the three men were indicted on murder and aggravated assault charges. The white suit Lewis was wearing the night of the killings has never been found. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard alleged that the bloodstained suit was dumped in a garbage bin outside a fast food restaurant.[36]
Lewis' attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, of the Atlanta law firm Garland, Samuel & Loeb, negotiated a plea agreement with Howard, the Fulton County District Attorney, where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.[12] Lewis admitted that he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings. Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation, the maximum sentence for a first-time offender;[37] and he was fined $250,000 by the NFL, which was believed to be the highest fine levied against an NFL player for an infraction not involving substance abuse.[38] Under the terms of the sentence, Lewis could not use drugs or alcohol during the duration of the probation.
Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.[39] No other suspects have ever been arrested for the crime.
The following year, Lewis was named Super Bowl XXXV MVP. However, the signature phrase "I'm going to Disney World!" was given instead to quarterback Trent Dilfer.
On April 29, 2004, Lewis reached a settlement with four-year-old India Lollar, born months after the death of her father Richard, preempting a scheduled civil proceeding. Lewis also reached an undisclosed settlement with Baker's family".

Your "partial account of what took place" is lifted directly from Wikipedia. :34853_doh:

seedhawk

Reaction score
Don't care what anyone else here thinks, R Lewis while being a hell of a football player, and cleaning his act up after said incident, is irrelevant. 2 men lost their lives on that SB night.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xg0kgtqc said:
ivotuk":xg0kgtqc said:

What any of us think is immaterial. We weren't there, and I for one don't know what happened. But people who were there, and a jury of his peers, had a big trial and everything and they examined the evidence and did not convict. Every thing else is conjecture and assumption of guilt or innocence.

As for the rest, why Ray Lewis has to pay for your outrage over what you think other people got away with I don't know. Your examples are such a mish mash of different circumstances I won't even begin to get into it.

I'm not going to get involved in an argument of what Ray Lewis should or shouldn't be remembered for, but the point is that he was NOT evaluated by a jury of his peers, there was NOT a 'big trial and everything,' and they did NOT choose not to convict him. Ray Lewis agreed to testify against his friends and plead guilty to lying to the police in order to avoid such trial. He never stood trial for murder as such, and neither was he exonerated by a jury of his peers. You could argue that the lack of conviction of his peers is by extension an exoneration, but I'm not sure that's true. The trial may or may not have proceeded differently if Ray Lewis were a defendant. Never know.

docj78

Reaction score
OJ Simpson was exonerated by a jury of his peers, and we all know the stuff he's made of. And he was a helluva baller!! Ray Lewis had his high dollar attorneys cop a huge plea deal for him, so he could save his own skin, and give weak testimony against his buddies who were eventually acquitted. So Ray Lewis is the only one of the 3 that was found guilty of ANYTHING. That's culpability right there. Pretty shocking. The league should have banned him for life. Michael Vick is still basically blacklisted for dogfighting, but Ray Lewis is a hero? Gimme a break. A shady character on and off the field who just so happens to be a phenomenal athlete. He should be using that athletic prowess to break rocks and lift weights in the prison gym. There's a child who is fatherless, and part of that blame rests on Ray Lewis. I hope he has "found God" for his sake....... He's gonna need it.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Lewis falls in the same category as leonard little for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts