Movies coming in 2013. What are you most looking forward to?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • I have been waiting for Django Unchained ever since I first heard about it, and I have to say it did not dissapoint. Here's some of the big movies coming this year that i'm really looking forward to:

    Gangster Squad
    A Good Day to Die Hard
    Oz: The Great and Powerful
    Iron Man 3
    Star Trek Into the Darkness
    Man of Steal
    World War Z
    Kick Ass 2
    After Earth
    The Lone Ranger
    The Wolverine
    Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    Jack Ryan
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18527
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • Die Hard
    The Lone Ranger
    Jack Ryan
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8976
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


  • Very interested to see Oz and Superman. Nothing on that list interests me more than the next Hobbit movie though. Or Star Wars VII for that matter, even though it's a couple years off yet.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 14252
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • I'll be seeing Oz, Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Sin City, Lone Ranger and Star Trek.

    And the next Hobbit movie, obvs.
    Rzzzzz...
    User avatar
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *
     
    Posts: 10685
    Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
    Location: Helm's Deep


  • Ganster Squad looks great to me. Typical movie for me,,thunder and lightening, no lessons taught..

    I'm just ready for new stuff. Seems all we've seen in the last few years is redos and sequals.

    :les:
    Image
    No last minute heroics will be needed this time.
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18557
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


  • I don't go to movies much. But I do want to see new Superman, Iron Man 3, World War Z and Bill And Ted 3 (if it gets made and released this year)
    User avatar
    Claden
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 296
    Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 pm


  • Iron Man 3
    User avatar
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1124
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm


  • Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, The Hunger Games, The Wolverine, and Sin City 2.

    To add something not mentioned, the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • That Man of Steel movie has ALOT riding on it. DC will be screwed if that flops critically or even commercially. It needs to be a big time to make a Justice League movie even possible.

    I love Iron Man's charectar in the comics, not so much in the movies. I'll see it though.

    MAN OH MAN I wish Aronofsky hadn't pulled out of that Wolverine flick. He'd be the best director to ever even dable in the comic genre, IMO (yes, I like Aronofsky over Nolan).
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Pretty much all of the above. Man of Steel and the new Star Trek are probably my top 2.

    I'll tell you one movie preview that looked horrible though: Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters. Holy crap that looks dumb.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    User avatar
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1339
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA


  • Pretty much all the movies on that list I really want to see, but I just saw the trailer for World War Z and right now that's the one I'm most excited about.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2054
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


  • The Great Gatsby, love F Scott Fitzgerald and the trailer looks like they "get" it.

    Interested to see Man of Steel, I've never been a Superman guy though, but I'm curious what they are going to do with it.

    Interested in the second Hunger Games too.

    Gangster Squad looks badass.
    User avatar
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1620
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm


  • With Nolan behind the Man of Steel its killing me to have to wait till the summer.... It's going to be epic.
    When I get to the NFL, I'm gonna destroy the league, as soon as they give me the chance.' And that's what I've been doing ever since - Richard Sherman
    User avatar
    Superman509
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am
    Location: Kennewick WA


  • Superman509 wrote:With Nolan behind the Man of Steel its killing me to have to wait till the summer.... It's going to be epic.


    I hope so. Now that people are use to the comic book world of characters, they expect flaws. Superman doesn't really have a flaw (except for the obvious), so we'll see how this is done. Let's just hope Nolan doesn't turn a 1.5 hour movie into a 2.5 hour movie, he's keen to doing that.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • taz291819 wrote:
    Superman509 wrote:With Nolan behind the Man of Steel its killing me to have to wait till the summer.... It's going to be epic.


    I hope so. Now that people are use to the comic book world of characters, they expect flaws. Superman doesn't really have a flaw (except for the obvious), so we'll see how this is done. Let's just hope Nolan doesn't turn a 1.5 hour movie into a 2.5 hour movie, he's keen to doing that.


    He's supposed to be taking a realistic approach to the film like the barman trilogy. How would the world react if there was a being with that much power walking among us. On that basis alone I'm very excited to see it. Casting in the film is top notch as well.
    When I get to the NFL, I'm gonna destroy the league, as soon as they give me the chance.' And that's what I've been doing ever since - Richard Sherman
    User avatar
    Superman509
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:24 am
    Location: Kennewick WA



  • Superman509 wrote:I hope so. Now that people are use to the comic book world of characters, they expect flaws. Superman doesn't really have a flaw (except for the obvious), so we'll see how this is done. Let's just hope Nolan doesn't turn a 1.5 hour movie into a 2.5 hour movie, he's keen to doing that.


    He's supposed to be taking a realistic approach to the film like the barman trilogy. How would the world react if there was a being with that much power walking among us. On that basis alone I'm very excited to see it. Casting in the film is top notch as well.[/quote]

    That's one of the things that I dislike about the trailers we've seen. It's basically "Batman Begins", but with Clark Kent. Clark Kent didn't have the screwed up events in his early childhood that Bruce Wayne had (which made Bruce to become Batman). Clark Kent had a great upbringing, and didn't have the same emotional torment growing up. Looks like Nolan is going that route though.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • I want to see Catching Fire. The book dragged to me. The third one has the chance to be epic if they do it as well as the book was written. Supposedly they are making 3 movies out of the last two books, which is a good idea. Catching Fire will be no Empire Strikes Back, but the first movie of the last book has a chance to be. It is a great story. Catching Fire is basically just a filler love story, but I think they'll try to emphasize more of the action and what builds to a fantastic crescendo.

    I don't think the studio folks thought Hunger Games was going to do well so they didn't invest as much into it as it needed to get the full picture of what was happening. It seems trimmed down some. But I think the next 3 will get the right treatment and they'll do really big business.

    The only other movie I'm looking forward to a great deal is "Ender's Game", but who knows when that will actually see the light of day. Apparently Harrison Ford is in it. I saw one picture of it, and it looks right... just how I pictured it each time I read it. It has the potential if they do it right to be a life changing movie for a lot of people. I taught all of Orson Scott Card's nieces and nephews and I am good friends with his brother who has collaborated with him on many things, and it was interesting to get feedback from the family about the books. His brother actually won't even let his kids read them. I remember a big broo-ha-ha we had over it, because he felt it was inappropriate for his children, but I didn't. We all ended up fine in the end, but it was interesting to hear his take. My son looks just like Ender on the cover of one printing, so it was cool playing it out in my head with my son playing Ender. He's that kind of a kid too. An absolute genius. The undertones and back story of Ender's siblings are what really make it incredible (especially when you consider how long ago it was written, and how much of what he has discussed is really happening). Hopefully movie 2 is Ender's Shadow which was written well after it, and is out of sequence, but seeing them make those two movies which are the same story from 2 points of view would be pretty amazing if a producer and studio were willing to take that risk. I would love it and buy 100 copies of the movies to hand out to strangers just to get the story out there.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • If Jennifer Lawrence is in it, I'll watch it. ;)
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • Only ones that really grab me are Ender's Game, The Hobbit Part Two, and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. I'm interested in seeing The Great Gatsby, but probably not in the theater. I'm mildly interested in some of the others, but the previews of most I've seen, especially the science fiction, have far too many overdone tropes and generic plots.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18446
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Pacific Rim

    And they're making Enders Game?? Awesome!
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5314
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • Pacific Rim - because I love Guillermo Del Toro

    Hobbit: Smaug - obviously

    World's End - No way this can be bad

    Star Wars 2 Into Darkness
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14794
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Pacific Rim

    And they're making Enders Game?? Awesome!


    Well.... they claim they are. It's been in and out of development for so long that you never know for sure. At one point I was told that Orson Scott Card felt they couldn't make it properly because it would take too long and it was really about the relationships. Then there was hope they could do it in an animated (like Pixar style, but not all cartoony). Now they've gotten to the point where they can make the movies and get them done quickly enough to make it work because the technology has caught up with a lot of what they'd have to do to tell the WHOLE story. Here's a pic of Harrison Ford as Graff when the kids first get to the training station in space and it looks legit, so we shall see.....

    Image
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • Regarding Ender's Game, here's the set blog - not updated since last June, but done with principle photography: http://endersgameblog.tumblr.com/

    Some images from the blog:

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    The movie is in post production, and according to its IMDB, the release date is scheduled to be 1 November 2013.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18446
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Pacific Rim - because I love Guillermo Del Toro

    Hobbit: Smaug - obviously

    World's End - No way this can be bad

    Star Wars 2 Into Darkness


    Star Wars 2, Freudian slip?
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


  • 12evanf wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Pacific Rim - because I love Guillermo Del Toro

    Hobbit: Smaug - obviously

    World's End - No way this can be bad

    Star Wars 2 Into Darkness


    Star Wars 2, Freudian slip?


    No, just hard to tell the difference.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11248
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • 12evanf wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Pacific Rim - because I love Guillermo Del Toro

    Hobbit: Smaug - obviously

    World's End - No way this can be bad

    Star Wars 2 Into Darkness


    Star Wars 2, Freudian slip?


    Who said it was a slip?
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 14794
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Who said it was a slip?


    Captain Kirk?
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


  • Anyway, my most anticipated movie is the next Hobbit. Wildcard pick for best movie: The Monument's Men with Daniel Craig, Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, George Clooney, Bill Murray, and John Goodman. Color me intrigued.
    User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2610
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


  • Forgot about Ender's game. I've read the book maybe 10 times in my lifetime plus the rest of the series once (At least I think. They kept adding books. Last one I read was Ender's shadow.) So glad Harrison Ford is in this. I hope these kid actors has the skills to pull this off.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2054
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


  • Anchorman: The Legend Continues - Not everyone's humor but I loved the first one.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2054
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


  • Dude, Park On Hudson? How did I not know? That's instantly at the top of my list.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 14252
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Recon_Hawk wrote:Forgot about Ender's game. I've read the book maybe 10 times in my lifetime plus the rest of the series once (At least I think. They kept adding books. Last one I read was Ender's shadow.) So glad Harrison Ford is in this. I hope these kid actors has the skills to pull this off.


    How did you like Ender's Shadow? I loved that book. It made me cry. I think it would be amazing to film Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow back to back and see the story from the Ender POV and then immediately follow it up from the Bean POV, and then if they wanted to, they could move forward with Ender's story. I think it all makes much more sense when you get the Bean version. It should have been the second book, and my understanding is Card realized that later, and was going to farm out the alternate POV books to a series of authors. As they talked about it though, he took Ender's Shadow back, because he felt only he could really paint the complete Bean picture that he was hoping to paint, and he did it amazingly well. What an amazing book. For anybody who has ever served in the military, or struggled, or just felt out of place, or pretty much had any sort of difficulty in life then I can't recommend Ender's Game enough. I hope it focuses on the relationships and not on a bunch of CGI business. This book is about human interaction and how people function together or are unable to function and so on. It's a deep story.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • Die Hard
    Lone Ranger
    Jack Ryan
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22789
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • SharkHawk wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:Forgot about Ender's game. I've read the book maybe 10 times in my lifetime plus the rest of the series once (At least I think. They kept adding books. Last one I read was Ender's shadow.) So glad Harrison Ford is in this. I hope these kid actors has the skills to pull this off.


    How did you like Ender's Shadow? I loved that book. It made me cry. I think it would be amazing to film Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow back to back and see the story from the Ender POV and then immediately follow it up from the Bean POV, and then if they wanted to, they could move forward with Ender's story. I think it all makes much more sense when you get the Bean version. It should have been the second book, and my understanding is Card realized that later, and was going to farm out the alternate POV books to a series of authors. As they talked about it though, he took Ender's Shadow back, because he felt only he could really paint the complete Bean picture that he was hoping to paint, and he did it amazingly well. What an amazing book. For anybody who has ever served in the military, or struggled, or just felt out of place, or pretty much had any sort of difficulty in life then I can't recommend Ender's Game enough. I hope it focuses on the relationships and not on a bunch of CGI business. This book is about human interaction and how people function together or are unable to function and so on. It's a deep story.


    I thought Ender's Shadow was the best book of the series - even better than Ender's Game. Absolutely loved it. And that would be a stellar idea. They'll never do it, but it would be awesome.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18446
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:Forgot about Ender's game. I've read the book maybe 10 times in my lifetime plus the rest of the series once (At least I think. They kept adding books. Last one I read was Ender's shadow.) So glad Harrison Ford is in this. I hope these kid actors has the skills to pull this off.


    How did you like Ender's Shadow? I loved that book. It made me cry. I think it would be amazing to film Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow back to back and see the story from the Ender POV and then immediately follow it up from the Bean POV, and then if they wanted to, they could move forward with Ender's story. I think it all makes much more sense when you get the Bean version. It should have been the second book, and my understanding is Card realized that later, and was going to farm out the alternate POV books to a series of authors. As they talked about it though, he took Ender's Shadow back, because he felt only he could really paint the complete Bean picture that he was hoping to paint, and he did it amazingly well. What an amazing book. For anybody who has ever served in the military, or struggled, or just felt out of place, or pretty much had any sort of difficulty in life then I can't recommend Ender's Game enough. I hope it focuses on the relationships and not on a bunch of CGI business. This book is about human interaction and how people function together or are unable to function and so on. It's a deep story.


    I thought Ender's Shadow was the best book of the series - even better than Ender's Game. Absolutely loved it. And that would be a stellar idea. They'll never do it, but it would be awesome.


    I'm glad we're in agreement. I think part of it was that Card had just improved as a writer between Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, but part of it was that his ability to write it from a different "brain" made it all the more amazing. Plus I just liked Bean's back story a bit more. Ender's back story was very important in the scheme of the whole universe Card created, but Bean's back story was more important in telling why everything in that particular situation happened the way it did and how much different things were when seen from an alternate POV. Ender thought he knew everything..... but well, I'll leave it there and hope they make it properly.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • SharkHawk wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:Forgot about Ender's game. I've read the book maybe 10 times in my lifetime plus the rest of the series once (At least I think. They kept adding books. Last one I read was Ender's shadow.) So glad Harrison Ford is in this. I hope these kid actors has the skills to pull this off.


    How did you like Ender's Shadow? I loved that book. It made me cry. I think it would be amazing to film Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow back to back and see the story from the Ender POV and then immediately follow it up from the Bean POV, and then if they wanted to, they could move forward with Ender's story. I think it all makes much more sense when you get the Bean version. It should have been the second book, and my understanding is Card realized that later, and was going to farm out the alternate POV books to a series of authors. As they talked about it though, he took Ender's Shadow back, because he felt only he could really paint the complete Bean picture that he was hoping to paint, and he did it amazingly well. What an amazing book. For anybody who has ever served in the military, or struggled, or just felt out of place, or pretty much had any sort of difficulty in life then I can't recommend Ender's Game enough. I hope it focuses on the relationships and not on a bunch of CGI business. This book is about human interaction and how people function together or are unable to function and so on. It's a deep story.


    Shark, I loved the book, too. It was the first parallel book I had read at the time, so i wasnt sure how it would add to the orginal, but Card really did something special with it. I agree that it should have been the second book, too, which sort of ties in with my small complaint with it all. I had re-read Enders Game so many times, that after reading Enders Shadow, I felt duped. Bean deserved so much more attention to the original, yet it took almost 15 years for him to get his due.

    I would love back-to-back POV movies, but if Hollywood doesn't see it is financially wise, for whatever reason, I hope they go in more depth with Bean's character. I mean, please, don't downplay Beans brilliance and importance just because its called "Enders" Game.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2054
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa




It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online