Shanahan comments on Carrol.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Shanahan comments on Carrol.
Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 am
  • Just finished reading an interview with 'The Rat,' where be was tossing thinly-veilled barbs at Pete. Such comments as 'You have to be yourself,' and 'Pete is Pete.' One adjective he used in particular was 'highly excitable.' He only gave Pete 'credit' for is results at USC. Even then, he was ambiguous enough to leave the meaning open for interpretation (NCAA violations or W/L). When asked how he himself would like to be remembered, he used something like 'calm, humble and consistent.'
    Dang, I didn't like the dude much before, but at least I supported him when he chucked that football at Al Davis. Now I'm begging to think it would have been better if Al sent few henchmen to put that ball in a place requiring it to be surgically removed. What a self-centered p#ick.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Re: Shanahan comments on Carrol.
Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Just finished reading an interview with 'The Rat,' where be was tossing thinly-veilled barbs at Pete. Such comments as 'You have to be yourself,' and 'Pete is Pete.' One adjective he used in particular was 'highly excitable.' He only gave Pete 'credit' for is results at USC. Even then, he was ambiguous enough to leave the meaning open for interpretation (NCAA violations or W/L). When asked how he himself would like to be remembered, he used something like 'calm, humble and consistent.'
    Dang, I didn't like the dude much before, but at least I supported him when he chucked that football at Al Davis. Now I'm begging to think it would have been better if Al sent few henchmen to put that ball in a place requiring it to be surgically removed. What a self-centered p#ick.

I think you're stretching a bit here...just as I probably was with Sherman. He also mentioned that he wanted Carroll as his defensive coordinator with the Broncos, but Carroll chose to go to San Francisco. I think he has alot of respect for him just based on that - but you have to admit their personalities are very different.

I don't think they are best friends, but it doesn't mean Shanahan doesn't not have respect for what he's accomplished.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 am
  • II heard Shanahan's conference call with the Seattle media and it was very complimentary. Doesn't mean that they like each other, but he was respectful.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:24 am
  • Wow. I guess I'll care about Shanahan's opinion when he wins something without Elway.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:06 am
  • He might be a little irked. The other day Pete talked about choosing between the Niners and Shanahan, and while he didn't throw any insults Rat faces way, he did talk about how Bill Walsh was consulting in SF, and getting to pick his brain made the San Fran job the better choice by far.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 am
  • Proven fact that Ratboys game plans don't work unless he has a top drawer QB. Look at Denver, when Mr Ed retired so did Shanahan's play off wins.

Not to much to write to Mom about until this year when he gets what appears to be another great QB who will do what he needs to do in spite of Rat Boy's instructions.

I don't see him as much of a coach but that's just me being in the same division with him when we were in the AFC.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:10 am
  • Pete and Shanahan have known each other for years and have great respect for one another.

ETA: "I think you've got to be yourself and that's what Pete has done. He's been himself," Shanahan said. "Everyone knows the type of job he did at Southern Cal. He's a guy that is very enthusiastic in everything he does and a good friend." http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots ... t_playoffs
    Last edited by sc85sis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:25 am
  • The Radish wrote:Proven fact that Ratboys game plans don't work unless he has a top drawer QB. Look at Denver, when Mr Ed retired so did Shanahan's play off wins.

Not to much to write to Mom about until this year when he gets what appears to be another great QB who will do what he needs to do in spite of Rat Boy's instructions.

I don't see him as much of a coach but that's just me being in the same division with him when we were in the AFC.

actually, Shanahan did well with Jake-freaking-Plummer. I believe they even made it to an AFC champ game (maybe?)
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:34 am
  • Shanny is a good coach. Amazing how some fans just hate to give any credit to other teams for having competent players or coaches. Embarrassing.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:43 am
  • Shanny has been winning for a long time in the NFL. Pete doesnt get instant NFL credibility.

I like like what Pete said the other day, "We are not satisfied; we have to play every game like a championship game."
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:46 am
  • HansGruber wrote:Wow. I guess I'll care about Shanahan's opinion when he wins something without Elway.

He couldn't even win with Elway. The big difference was Terrell Davis. They finally had a dominant runner, and Elway was able to win big games when he had somebody that could eat clock. Elway was just Dan Marino with a great runner behind him at the end.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:52 am
  • The Radish wrote:Proven fact that Ratboys game plans don't work unless he has a top drawer QB. Look at Denver, when Mr Ed retired so did Shanahan's play off wins.

I believe in his son's offense though. With Rex Grossman and John Beck (who was god awful) and really no WRs last year that could stretch the field...the offense moved the ball fairly regularly. Scoring was an issue because we didn't really have any playmakers.

I'm very concerned about another team poaching Kyle for HC. Why? Because I think his dad just might take over game play-calling himself...and I'd think we'd lose the edge we currently have with sharp in-game adjustments to what defenses are taking away and giving us.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:00 am
  • Nobody's really dogging the Seahawks in the bulk of the sports media anymore, so disrespectful items must be manufactured by interpreting innocuous statements as innuendo.
    bmorepunk
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:58 am
  • Shanahan reminds me of my maternal grandfather (God rest his soul).

"Papa" was quiet as a mouse all the time, and one of those guys that only spoke when there was something worth saying. The "speak softly and carry a big stick" type, I guess you could say. I remember the family arguing about something during dinner one time, interupting each other and getting louder. With a firm thud of his fist on the table and a stern look, everyone instantly shut up as he told them how it was. When he was finished, no one had anything to say. A stern guy that commanded respect, and was full to the brim with wisdom. Mostly because he kept hisw mouth shut, and listened.

Shanny seems to me to be so even-keeled all the time that it's difficult to gauge what he's thinking. Then, all of a sudden, he erupts. A ticking time bomb, if you will. Those kind of people you can't help respecting. I think that is one reason why he is a good coach.
    "God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 am
  • Do you have a link? This feels like something made out of nothing; the quote below is the only relevant information I have found.

Mike Shanahan wrote:"You've got to be yourself and that's what Pete has done. He's been himself," Shanahan said. "Everyone knows the type of job he did at Southern Cal. He's a guy that is very enthusiastic in everything he does and a good friend."

If that is a thinly veiled barb then I am an Eskimo.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 am
  • This definitely ranks as one of the larger reaches to create controversy I've ever seen.
    drastik
    NET Practice Squad

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:14 pm
  • Man we need to stop with the everyone is putting down the Hawks idea, I mean I have never seen so much love thrown our teams way before the last several weeks. Hell, all the positive vibes are making me even more nervous for Sunday. The Hawks hopefully are ready for a very tough test against the Redskins, it will not be as east as some of us here and those talking heads are making it out to be for some reason.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 pm
  • I would prefer to read the interview for myself, sometimes people like to read what they want into things. Shanny is a very good coach.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:29 pm
  • This thread makes no sense

Stop taking things out of context and actually read the damn article
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 pm
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:I think you're stretching a bit here...

This

Tech Worlds wrote:Shanny is a good coach. Amazing how some fans just hate to give any credit to other teams for having competent players or coaches. Embarrassing.

and this.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 pm
  • Don't need bulletin board material but whatever floats your boat. The game is almost here, thank goodness.

Some embarrassing things posted by both sides this week.

That's what is wrong with sports today. It has media folks (and fans) running back between teams/players going "Did you hear what he said about you? What do you think of that?". The game should be played on the field but many want to win it in the papers and in fan forums.

More drama in this stuff than the old day time soaps. I hope the loudest ones own up if whomever they were bragging on bites the dust. If you put your name to it, own it and no excuses when your pronouncements fall short.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:
    HansGruber wrote:Wow. I guess I'll care about Shanahan's opinion when he wins something without Elway.

He couldn't even win with Elway. The big difference was Terrell Davis. They finally had a dominant runner, and Elway was able to win big games when he had somebody that could eat clock. Elway was just Dan Marino with a great runner behind him at the end.

Dont know if I agree with this. I dont think TD would have been nearly as succesful in another run blocking scheme. This scheme has produced something like:

1 2000 yard rusher
    6 1500 + yard rusher
    countless 1000 + yard rushers

TD was GREAT and I dont want to take anythingaway from him, but you could EASILY make the case that Shanahans run blocking scheme was a huge reason for his sucess as a runner in this league simply because after he left, Shanahan kept cranking out 1500 runners.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:50 pm
  • I don't think we really need to create anymore to argue about around here.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information