Wagner in the lead 1-0 in DROY voting

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wagner in the lead 1-0 in DROY voting
Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:49 pm
  • Collinsworth just said he voted for him.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• That is so cool! :D :mrgreen:

I WANT A DROY!!!!
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• That's cool. Luke Kuechly is going to be hard to beat though.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

• 2-0 because this morning John Clayton said he voted for Wagner too.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• 3-0 Peter King mentioned that he voted for him - as well as Wilson.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• HOly crap this is AWESOME

Guys I forgot to mention.....So far DROy's have a streak of being voted to the pro bowl. The last like 15 of them are pro bowlers, and a few HOF's. Good company for Wagner
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Casey Hayward is a bigger threat than Keuchly.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• How many voters are there? Is it the entire Football Writers association I wonder? Time to go google.

EDIT: So the "official" Offensive/Defensive Rookies of the year are voted on by the Associated Press. I still haven't figured out how large the voting members are of this pool but it is a start. Link to Wikipedia entry for Rookie of the Year
    Last edited by drdiags on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Rat wrote:Casey Hayward is a bigger threat than Keuchly.

He doesn't play full time though, so there's that.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• And I'm patting myself on the back. I just can't say "I told you so" enough guys. Haha. :)
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• I remember hearing Clayton say there are 50 AP voters.
    thehands816
    NET Practice Squad

• drdiags wrote:How many voters are there? Is it the entire Football Writers association I wonder? Time to go google.

EDIT: So the "official" Offensive/Defensive Rookies of the year are voted on by the Associated Press. I still haven't figured out how large the voting members are of this pool but it is a start. Link to Wikipedia entry for Rookie of the Year

There are 50 votes. The AP is made up of a random assortment of members through out the journalist world. A lot of broadcast and papers utilize writers from the AP and their sources. Its part of AP's dedication to free, unfiltered information.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Re: Wagner in the lead 1-0 in DROY voting
Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:And I'm patting myself on the back. I just can't say "I told you so" enough guys. Haha. :)

I understand. Wagner was the single player I wanted most in the draft. Knew we were going to need a MLB and scouted many. Wagner was quite far and away the most balanced MLB out there with pretty extreme upside, IMO. I thought he'd end up the best Hawks MLB of all time, but I don't know that I thought he would be on the map this soon. Pleasant surprise even though he was my #1 draft target.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:06 pm
  • Meh, not saying he doesn't deserve props, but I wish they would wait until after the Super Bowl to announce the feel good about your player awards. We still have the playoffs to concentrate on and the players should be 100% in the team-first mode.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:09 pm
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Meh, not saying he doesn't deserve props, but I wish they would wait until after the Super Bowl to announce the feel good about your player awards. We still have the playoffs to concentrate on and the players should be 100% in the team-first mode.

I can agree with this. I don't like the Gus Bradley news and the possibility of it becoming a distraction.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:09 pm
  • I know nanomoz was high on him as well, as he's a Utah State alum and is the guy here who watches more Utah State football than I do (and I watch a lot!). I wanted Turbin as I felt he'd step right in when Lynch needed a breather and I wanted Wagner. Wagner is a smart player. The only thing I thought teams would hold against him was that he was skinny looking. But he's bulked up and still kept all of his skills.

Every time the ball was snapped Bobby was there on the spot in college. I don't care what conference you're playing in or what kind of conference you're in. If you have that kind of awareness and can call a defense on the field, then you're a good football player. Some things can't be taught. Speed, the nose for the football, and the knack for making huge plays just seem to be some of those that are natural and Bobby was born with them. I wanted to keep the Heater, but once we had Wagner I knew we had just upgraded and would be just fine. Bobby to me was Lofa in college with all of the things Lofa was missing - 1- Good health (Lofa was always fighting some injury due to #2) 2- Size. 3- Speed to burn. He is a natural and as much as I loved Lofa, I think Bobby will be a much better player over a longer period of time due to the fact that he's big enough to stay durable, and he's got a large enough frame that he can bulk up even a bit more and not lose his speed like Lofa did. Lofa had to make a choice of being bulky enough to play, or small and fast enough to be great. Unfortunately he ended up caught in the middle and his career just fell apart. I feel bad for that dude. If he had been blessed with Bobby Wagner's size, he'd have dominated the NFL for 12-15 years.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 pm
  • Sweet. Bobby deserves it!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:03 pm
  • How weird would it be if Wagner won a RoY award and Wilson didn't?
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:06 pm
  • kearly wrote:How weird would it be if Wagner won a RoY award and Wilson didn't?

Weird but understandable due to the Luck/RGIII media-lovefest. Any other year and Wilson wins it hands down and it's not even a debate.

I'm still holding on to hope that Russell wins it. Or even shares it with RGIII, I would be cool with that as well.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm
  • Has there ever been a shared RotY award, before?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:19 pm
  • I remember a shared MVP with I believe McNair and Manning. I can't remember a shared ROY off the top of my head. I just remember the pic of them on the cover of SI and the article saying how it was a real rarity to end up with a tie, but I think they both deserved it. I feel the same way about Russ and RG3 this year, but I'll give Russ props for playing the entire season and even getting to come out of games due to putting up such huge leads. Luck to me should be in the running because of the whole "team" aspect, but let's face it.... if he's on Seattle and puts up those same numbers, we're probably 6-10 or 5-11. He just didn't take very good care of the ball. Good story? Yes. Great season? Not compared to Russ and RG3 in my view. Taking care of the ball is the number 1 job of a rookie QB and they both did very well. Plus they both won a lot of games that their team wouldn't have likely won otherwise. I think a lot of young QB's could have won on Indy. I think Tannehill and Weeden could have put up similar records on the Colts. I think with Wilson or RG3 that the Colts would have had a chance at going undefeated due to their piss poor schedule.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:28 pm
  • I'm ok with a shared OROY award, as long as Luck isn't a part of it.
    80% of Planet Earth is covered by water.....The rest is covered by EARL THOMAS!
    SundayNiteBlackout
    National Guard 09-Present

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:30 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Has there ever been a shared RotY award, before?

Yep, shared DROY, oddly enough both players on the same team, who were LB's, for the Falcons in 1980.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_F ... Year_Award
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 pm
  • Huh. Interesting. I'm fine with a shared ORotY award between Wilson and RG3, but as SundayNite said, if Luck's part of it in any way, I'm drowning a bag of kittens.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:12 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Huh. Interesting. I'm fine with a shared ORotY award between Wilson and RG3, but as SundayNite said, if Luck's part of it in any way, I'm drowning a bag of kittens.

Man, that's just mean.

[Edit: :) ]
    HawkHack
    NET Rookie

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information